The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Fridge not lighting on gas

· 
Posted: 08.08.2019  ·  #1
On my last outing, I could not light my fridge on gas. On the previous outing, it took a while to light it but once lit it worked for the time it was needed.

So I’m guessing it’s either a problem with the igniter not sparking or the perhaps the gas nozzle at the igniter being blocked. I’m really guessing at the second bit there, I don’t know if that could be a thing but I don’t see why not. Anyone with more experience than me can tell me. So what should I check? I really doubt there is a problem with the gas supply or 12 volt supply to the fridge. Should I see a spark inside the pilot window when trying to excite the igniter? Since I’m not, could that be the igniter at fault?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Fridge not lighting on gas

· 
Posted: 08.08.2019  ·  #2
Quote by The Rambler

. Should I see a spark inside the pilot window when trying to excite the igniter?

😂
Sorry 😇

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2019  ·  #3
There has been quite a few topics on fridges not igniting lately.

I blast mine with an air line every now and again, it stopped igniting in the past and that cured it. I guess it was sooted up.

Not a very technical answer.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #4
The best thing to do is remove the bottom outer cover till you can see the igniter ask some to turn it on from the inside and try to see what’s happening plus could you tell us what make and model the fridge is also how old and any photos of the back of the fridge will help us give you more information 👍

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #5
The fridge is an Electrolux RM 4236. It’s not new but I can’t say how old. It came with the van. For me to do any sort of work on that fridge, I would need to pull it out and that would mean breaking open the gas supply line. I can’t see any other way. And I’m reluctant to do that as I am not sure what’s entailed yet. Especially to put back in place.

I have gone to great lengths in the past to access the 12 volt terminal block that sits on top of the unit, while the unit was still in situ so as not to break open the gas line. And of coarse with the gas supply removed, that could hamper fault finding. I suppose access is not a big problem to other fridge owners?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #6
Quote by Ally

Quote by The Rambler

. Should I see a spark inside the pilot window when trying to excite the igniter?

😂
Sorry 😇

Seeking humor in my predicament eh? 🤔😜

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #7
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by Ally

Quote by The Rambler

😂
Sorry 😇

Seeking humor in my predicament eh? 🤔😜

Thursday night 😁

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #8
You've no access to the burner, that's awkward alright. I've a big vent and it comes off very easy to get at the gubbins.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #9
I don’t really have access. I might have to live with this one for a while. If I crack open a gas line, then I’ll have no cooking or heating until everything is put back. I’m not overly familiar with the gas fittings used either, or in general. It looks like 1/8 “ copper tube and compression fittings, which Ts off to the oven/ hob.

If there is anything I can do non-invasively for the moment I will. Either to help or diagnose the problem. If I eventually take things apart I at least need to know what I am going to do and how to put things back. Or is it worth my while getting a service done on the unit?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #10
Let's start with if you mention pilot window. Then it sounds manual start on gas. after while lying up and not in use the gas can evaporate out of the pipe feeding the burner,it will required bleeding to get the gas down to the burner. (it can be a bitch ) So you hold control valve in at the correct position for the count of 10 and then press the igniter a couple of times. Repeat,repeat,repeat. There is a bleed screw behind the front cover to make sure you have the valve in the start position and there is gas up to the fridge .
Yes if you get in close to the window with the van as dark as you can you are able to see the spark its not easy.
On the outside of the van you should have a lower rectangle vent 350x150 aprox. As Hilton said .
Show photos of the front panel. and the vents outside the van where the fridge is mounted. Take off the bottom one and shoe photo or the the back or the fridge especially the right side as you look at it .
I f you don't have outside vents Don't USE THE FRIDGE ON GAS.
When you put the picks up if you PM me a bomber I'll talk you trough some checks.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #11
Great Sprinter. It might take me a day or two to get some pics. It’s all go here this weekend and weather isn’t helping

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Paddy the Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Citroen 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #12
Quote by The Rambler

Great Sprinter. It might take me a day or two to get some pics. It’s all go here this weekend and weather isn’t helping

Please keep notes and post here later, I've same issue, fridge never worked on gas since I got camper a couple of weeks ago and need to do some investigating on it too :)
It's a Dometic/Eletrolux RM4217 but steps should be the same, I've had to change thermostat already and 12V switch to be done this weekend :)

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #13

If I do need to pull my fridge out I wonder if I would need to disconnect the gas line? The guy in this video doesn’t appear to. That even looks like my fridge. But I’m fairly sure I have a rigid gas line that could not be pulled out like that.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #14
This might help: forum/topic.php?t=2342

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #15
Quote by Ally

A lot of info in there , cheers Ally.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #16
A few may remember that I had a problem with my fridge a few years ago at Scarva. The gas knob had been accidentally knocked to the halfway position probably at breakfast time and when I went later the fridge had melting ice in it. I made numerous attempts to light it and heard the pop as it lit and went out again. A few craicers removed the grill and flame cover and could see it light immediately and go out straight away.
It transpired that as when I use the fridge it is either of or on and therefore never looked at the symbols before. But when the fridge knob was half way, I looked at the symbols a flame and a dot and thought the flame surely was lit and the dot was off. So each attempt to light I switched on the ignition, held in the knob and just before I turned it it would light until I turned it again and it would go out. I hope I have attached a photo of the gas knob which is currently on.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #17
I see what you mean Chevy. That could be confusing if you never usually turn it. I’ll double check the knob when I get home.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

on Fridge not lighting on gas

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #18
Quote by Ally

This link above is great ,also the guy in the video dose disconnected the gas line with two spanners.
If the gas line us fitted correctly it should be in the shape of an S or question mark ?. across the too of the Fridge so as to allow it to be pulled out a bit and get access to a joined like in the video.
You should see this in trough the top grill opening, or if you remove the front top cover behind the switches.
Another thing most are fitted under a piece of worktop and if you can remove it without damage, it may give you access to the whole top of the fridge ,I discovered this when fitting a new worktop with a drop down extension ,I wish I'd knowing before as I took the fridge out 3 times.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #19
He does break open the gas line alright Martin. The guy in the video that is. But he does so after pulling it out. Once pulled out you then have access to open the line. I’m not sure if he bent copper pipe to pull it out or was it flexible. Anyway, looking in from the vent I think I could easily get a couple of spanners in there to break it open. As I’m currently down in Fanore tonight, I won’t go messing.

I reckon I’m not getting any spark though. So maybe I should look there first.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #20
Quote by The Rambler

I reckon I’m not getting any spark though. So maybe I should look there first.

Try everything before you pull it out ,with the bottom grill off,try with a mirror first see the spark and then if you cant see one ,take the burner cover off you will able to see directly.
You can then get someone to operate the control knob and light it with a gas wand to see if you actually got gas down to the burner.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #21
Quote by Ally

Quote by The Rambler

😂
Sorry 😇

Nothing worse than getting excited when looking through the pilot window. :P :happy:

Sorry Rambler i could not resist. :happy:

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2019  ·  #22
You never know what you might see through the pilot window eh.

Hopefully I will get a bit of time and good weather to try looking at this in the next few days. I’ll keep you posted. Cheers

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2019  ·  #23
I was constantly having bother with mine on gas, the only thing to cure it was to get a new jet, and igniter. Around £80 fitted.

Jayocash
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Fridge on gas

· 
Posted: 12.08.2019  ·  #24
Quote by Ally

Quote by The Rambler

😂
Sorry 😇

Electrolux rm4271 3 way fridge
When I light my gas on fridge, the pilot light comes on, I hold in button for 15 seconds and release, pilot light goes out, if I keep it pressed in it stays lit, any advice greatly appreciated

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2019  ·  #25
Sounds like the thermocouple part of system is not getting hot enough to keep the flame lightning try moving it more into the flame so it gets red hot

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2019  ·  #26
Quote by Jayocash

Quote by Ally

Quote by The Rambler

😂
Sorry 😇

Electrolux rm4271 3 way fridge
When I light my gas on fridge, the pilot light comes on, I hold in button for 15 seconds and release, pilot light goes out, if I keep it pressed in it stays lit, any advice greatly appreciated

The thermocouple is not working.
Check if it is in the flame it will get red hot .
Check that the little pipe is not broken bent in a sharp angle.
Check that the nut is tight at the back of the control valve.
If all above is ok ,replace the it. they are not dear and easy to replace.
You may even be able to do so without removing the fridge.

All you guys with under the worktop fridges , see if you can lift the work surface before taking out the fridge it may be easier.

Jayocash
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2019  ·  #27
Is this possible from the bottom outside access panel, there is a small metal panel in front of igniter, I'll try removing it, and move jet closer, cheers

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2019  ·  #28
Yes that's the way

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2019  ·  #29
Quote by Jayocash

Is this possible from the bottom outside access panel, there is a small metal panel in front of igniter, I'll try removing it, and move jet closer, cheers

A magnetic tip screwdriver will help.

benen
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: fiat ducato
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Fridge

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #30
I have a Electrolux ,my problem is when it puffs it’s real load and I think it’s is blowning the gas out , I open the vent outside and trued to light with long lighter but same a real big puff so we know the gas is getting to it but how do I get to light? Thanks Benen

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #31
Quote by benen

I have a Electrolux ,my problem is when it puffs it’s real load and I think it’s is blowning the gas out , I open the vent outside and trued to light with long lighter but same a real big puff so we know the gas is getting to it but how do I get to light? Thanks Benen

Would remind me of something that is corroded/dirty so not providing the correct flame. Have you tried blasting it with an air line?

benen
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #32
Will do tomorrow ,in dunfanaghy will go down to pumps in morning

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.08.2019  ·  #33
I have a Electrolux ,my problem is when it puffs it’s real load and I think it’s is blowning the gas out , I open the vent outside and trued to light with long lighter but same a real big puff so we know the gas is getting to it but how do I get to light?

Had the fridge ever worked on gas properly.
The loud puff is the gas lighting up in the flue pipe. Which sounds like excess gas flow.
Are you holding in the valve too long before you press the igniter? therefore allowing the gas to flow up into the flue pipe before you spark
When you try lighting it manually hold the flame to the jet and then have someone press in and hold the control valve and if it lights tell them to release after 5seconds.

benen
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.08.2019  ·  #34
Yes had it working but only lighting it manually I am in camper a lot on my own so o can’t light that way , it’s doing everything that u would think is ok hold in get the puff hold for 30 seconds A leave but a hour later still not on it’s a old fridge and no way of knowing if on only with hand on freezer or warm vent outside

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.08.2019  ·  #35
Has it a sight glass inside?

benen
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.08.2019  ·  #36
Yes down I left corner

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.08.2019  ·  #37
You should be able to see the flame in the sight glass, (usually blue flame if all is good)
Best checked when camper is dark inside as flame can be hard to see,

benen
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.08.2019  ·  #38
Still no luck will sorted next week , thanks for help now finding a gas man in Monaghan could be problem

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2019  ·  #39
Maynooth motorhomes is possibly the closest to you

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #40
So I eventually got around to having a look at the fridge not lighting on gas problem today. It's been on the long finger for quite a while. I was readying myself to disconnecting and pulling out the fridge. But I started with an attempt to light it on gas which I have not tried since last summer/ autumn. And hey presto, it started first go. I'm going to leave it running for a couple of hours. I don't know if that means the problem has cleared itself and it will continue to be reliable or not but I just might just let everything in situ for the time being.

I feel like the problem might have to do with moisture as the pilot window looks much clearer than I last remember. Any theories as to why it might have resolved itself , @sprinter or anyone?

Liked by: panda

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.