Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Dometic Fridge

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #1
Following on from cleaning my jet out, which did have carbon deposits inside the housing, I put it back together and now have a very large yellow flame. Way too big to consider using, so does anyone have any idea what I could have missed? By the way, the fridge didn’t work on gas, although it did have a tiny blue flame. I blew the jet out before returning it.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Dometic Fridge

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #2
Quote by Helgahobby

Following on from cleaning my jet out, which did have carbon deposits inside the housing, I put it back together and now have a very large yellow flame. Way too big to consider using, so does anyone have any idea what I could have missed? By the way, the fridge didn’t work on gas, although it did have a tiny blue flame. I blew the jet out before returning it.

That seems to me you don't have a jet-fitted too much gas to air mix, ( I blew the jet out of the housing with the airline and when I had too much flame, I Googled to see what the jet looked like as I could not see anything that looked like a gas jet, ie like in the cooker )
I would suggest you check if you have the jet in place it may have dropped out when you were assembling the pipe. Just to be sure you know what the jet is, its like a bowler hat about 10 mm Dia with a small hole in the center that fits into the burner housing in front of the pipe and the round end of the pipe jams it into place very easy to lose it when fitting everything back together, you should never poke anything through the little hole as you can then make it too big also interfering with the mix

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Dometic Fridge

· 
Posted: 23.07.2019  ·  #3
Yes that was what the issue was, I couldn't find the dam thing so i got a guy to cannibalise a similar one and fit it. The pilot light works but there's no cooling at all. Tonight I emailed Dometic, both the head office and their local agent here in Armagh. Need it sorted for Thursday.
I was wondering if there could have been a leak of the refrigerant?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.07.2019  ·  #4
Quote by Helgahobby

That's well sealed and very smelly!

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.07.2019  ·  #5
Quote by Ally

Quote by Helgahobby

That's well sealed and very smelly!

No sign of dodgy smell, well not that kind.
I'm clutching at straws here Ally.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.07.2019  ·  #6
When it's running, the heat should start at the bottom of the coils, work it's way to the top and then cycle. Are the metal coils getting warm and then very hot?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Dometic Fridge

· 
Posted: 23.07.2019  ·  #7
You have already had a yellow flame which can give smoke/ soot have you cleaned out the flue ,? Take off the exhaust cover off the side of the van behind there is a elbowed pipe,wiggle it off ,( check for spiderwebs etc,) ,in the long flue pipe you should have s spiral piece of steel hanging down inside on a piece of wire, remove wire brush it, run a circular brush down trough the flue pipe. Its about 25mm.
PUT a small bit of tinfoil over the burner unit before you start so as not to get any rust / crap falling down onto the burner.

If you haven't /can't get a round wire brush , try this get a light piece of wire lighter then a coat hanger , fold in two tightly , slide a pot scrub down the bottom of the fold about 100mm crimp tightly, wrap a piece of tape around the top to keep in place.

MickyMac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Giottiline T38
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.07.2019  ·  #8
Is the fridge level? I know on ours that what you might consider to be a slight tilt will cause the fridge to stop cooling.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2019  ·  #9
Quote by Ally

When it's running, the heat should start at the bottom of the coils, work it's way to the top and then cycle. Are the metal coils getting warm and then very hot?

The only thing thats getting hot is a spot under my collar! Going to see a chap in Armagh this morning.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.