t18con
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Camper, built not bought
Base Vehicle: Vw Caddy 2l, 110bhp
Subject:

France.... Atlantic coast and Pyranees

· 
Posted: 17.12.2016  ·  #1
Since talk has came round to booking ferries etc. for 2017 season..... the wife has insisted we slow it down a bit, and rather than rushing around several countries during our annual 17 days abroad, we're going to travel LEISURELY down the Atlantic coast of France and possibly into the Pyranees, we still want to do a "Top Gear" style climb up a mountain pass if possible.

So... talk to me... where is NOT to be missed? any recommendations?? I have zero knowledge on the subject. Preferences are for quiet, not family campsites, historic towns, beaches, scenery, mountains.... that should cover it. :D

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

Re: France.... Atlantic coast and Pyranees

· 
Posted: 17.12.2016  ·  #2
Your wife has certainly got it right. There's so much to see take it at your leisure.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2016  ·  #3
Very often the best places are the ones you find by accident. If it was me, I'd go SW from Cherbourg over to Les Pieux and from there just meander down to the Pyrenees. If you get to, say, Les Pieux look up google maps or similar and you'll be able to get tons of local info. Michelin is a good site, and when you see somewhere on the map you might fancy, look it up. That way you'll have something interesting every day.

t18con
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2016  ·  #4
Quote by Helgahobby

Very often the best places are the ones you find by accident. If it was me, I'd go SW from Cherbourg over to Les Pieux and from there just meander down to the Pyrenees. If you get to, say, Les Pieux look up google maps or similar and you'll be able to get tons of local info. Michelin is a good site, and when you see somewhere on the map you might fancy, look it up. That way you'll have something interesting every day.

agree totally about the best places....... we always travel with trip advisor to hand, the wife doesn't check my choices until we're on the road, then trip advisor/ipad comes out, and I'm generally getting it in the neck.... lol :D

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2016  ·  #5
In June of this year we did three trips into the cols of the Pyrenees. Stayed at an Aire at Lac de Payolle which as the name suggests is close to a lake. It was used as a finish and pass point on this years Tour de France. From there we drove up to the Col d'aspin which is a good one to ease in. If I remember there was about 5,km of 'exciting road with drops on one side and protruding rock face on the other. The view from the Coll was fantastic. We retraced our route back down.

The following day we drove the Col de Tourmelet. The 'exciting' section was perhaps 10km from the ski resort to the Coll. Again the views were brilliant and there was a walk to a summit with an observatory, Pic du midi Bigorre. I certainly felt more exposed on this route, especially since cloud drifted in and reduced the road visibility for a few hundred metres (altitude). It was odd to be carefully and slowly driving down and have lots of cyclists hurtle past without warning.

The third place that we visited was Gavarnie with is a village at the end of the road. It has the highest waterfall in France if you walk up the path to the cliff base. You can stay in the car park in the town for a few euros or drive an extra 2 km to the serviced Aire. It is a tourist hotspot, so coaches and cars travel up and down the road. Probably best to get there early in the morning or after tea when the coaches have gone home. Easier to park as well. This route has a longer exposure to tight cheeked driving. About 20 km if I remember, so don't do this one as your first!

Gavarnie is at the end of a road out of Lourdes. We stayed at a small quiet site called Camping Le Foret just out side Lourdes. ACSI discount site, clean, small pool, food available and a limited bus service into town but walkable. The grotto and church are fine but parts of the town are tacky. There are also a couple of Aires, but we were due a laundry and decent shower stop and the electric bikes needed charged so we did not investigate them.

We were also through the Ardeche gorge this year but that may be too far off your track. If you want a few ideas for the Atlantic coast let me know and I can list some of our favourites.

Davy

t18con
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2016  ·  #6
Quote by TeamRienza

In June of this year we did three trips into the cols of the Pyrenees. Stayed at an Aire at Lac de Payolle which as the name suggests is close to a lake. It was used as a finish and pass point on this years Tour de France. From there we drove up to the Col d'aspin which is a good one to ease in. If I remember there was about 5,km of 'exciting road with drops on one side and protruding rock face on the other. The view from the Coll was fantastic. We retraced our route back down.

The following day we drove the Col de Tourmelet. The 'exciting' section was perhaps 10km from the ski resort to the Coll. Again the views were brilliant and there was a walk to a summit with an observatory, Pic du midi Bigorre. I certainly felt more exposed on this route, especially since cloud drifted in and reduced the road visibility for a few hundred metres (altitude). It was odd to be carefully and slowly driving down and have lots of cyclists hurtle past without warning.

The third place that we visited was Gavarnie with is a village at the end of the road. It has the highest waterfall in France if you walk up the path to the cliff base. You can stay in the car park in the town for a few euros or drive an extra 2 km to the serviced Aire. It is a tourist hotspot, so coaches and cars travel up and down the road. Probably best to get there early in the morning or after tea when the coaches have gone home. Easier to park as well. This route has a longer exposure to tight cheeked driving. About 20 km if I remember, so don't do this one as your first!

Gavarnie is at the end of a road out of Lourdes. We stayed at a small quiet site called Camping Le Foret just out side Lourdes. ACSI discount site, clean, small pool, food available and a limited bus service into town but walkable. The grotto and church are fine but parts of the town are tacky. There are also a couple of Aires, but we were due a laundry and decent shower stop and the electric bikes needed charged so we did not investigate them.

We were also through the Ardeche gorge this year but that may be too far off your track. If you want a few ideas for the Atlantic coast let me know and I can list some of our favourites.

Davy

Many thanks for that Davy, looks like I could spend the whole holiday walking in the mountains lol. I'd like to see your suggestions for the coast too, if they're as good as that. Ref the Ardeche region, had spent a school trip there many moons ago, and it was in my thoughts.... but I was wary of getting sucked into fitting too much in again. even to just drive through the area on the way home?

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2016  ·  #7
I had a squint at your build page. Very impressive. You will have no bother with a T5 in the Pyrenees. Our van is 7m long and 2.35m wide, so the roads are a bigger challenge.

I will certainly list a few of our favourite stops on the Atlantic seaboard. Are you landing at Roscoff or Cherbourg? Are you happy with Aires as well as quiet campsites ? Have you been on that coast before?

I will do a list of places we like and if any appeal to you I can expand a bit on them later. We use Acsi, all the Aires and France passion and are happy to drift along and 'try' places. We find we are rarely disappointed. I am sure you find the same on your own travels.

Davy

t18con
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2016  ·  #8
don't know where we're landing yet, nothing set in stone. Waiting for better discounts, but could end up Dublin/Holyhead/Dover/Dunkirk like last year. I've been to Brittany as a child, that's it, so it will all be new to both of us. Found a site there for tourism in the midi-Pyrenees, could spend a whole holiday there easily enough.

Re Dottie (the van), thanks, we've started looking at alternatives as the wife wants to bring grandkids on future travels, so swb transporter just isn't up to the job of transporting more than 2.

Aidob
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2016  ·  #9
We were in the Pyrenees last summer. We stayed in Les Trois Vallées in Argeles Gazost. http://www.camping3vallees.com
. This is a family campsite that is excellent but not what you are looking I guess. But others reading this may be interested. It has the biggest water slides of any campsite I've stayed at and the bathrooms were like what you'd see in a spa with teak floors in the showers.
To add to what was said previously we also visited Cauterets and Pont d'espagne which has lac Gaube at the top and a massive glacier. The drive to here is not for the faint hearted but we did it in a 7.5 Matt Dethleffs, no bother. There is also a massive waterfall along the way. We also went up the Hautacam.

Enjoyed it so much and loved the scenery. Will definitely be back.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2016  ·  #10
We tend to land and depart either Rosslare or Cherbourg so the furthest east we have been is Honfleur which is a nice little town with a huge tightly packed Aire. An interesting experience. As I am sure you are well aware there are lots of campsites to be selected from the Acsi book wether you are in the discount period or not. We tend to rely on their choices for a consistent quality inspected by the Dutch.

Cherbourg means D day visits to me. St Mere Eglise has good museum and also good Aire and campsite. Some of the other sites are worth visiting wether or not you are into military history.. Arramanche, point du Hoc (the U.S. rangers who stormed this were based at Carrickfergus) Utah beach etc and the American cemetery at Coleville sur mer.

Mont st Michel is an interesting visit but can be busy. Nice site nearby and large Aire.

St Malo has a nice location and historic fort and old city. Stayed at an Aire in nearby Rothneuf. Buses at the gate.

Camaret sur mer, large Aire south of Brest, but perhaps a bit off track for you.

Audiernne, nice little seaside town with GR walks and nice inlet with paths inland. Aire by harbour. Pointe du Raz is a good visit and more GR walks.

Quimper is a small historic town on a river with a good ACSI site nearby, L'Orangerie de Lannion.

Carnac with its standing stones, loads of sites in the area.

Quiberon is one of my wife's favourites. We seem to end up there every year. We use an Aire in st Pierre Quiberon but there are lots of sites some busy family based and some smaller and quieter. I should point out we use bikes a lot, both 60s so not athletically. Good cycling destination.

Vannes is another favourite staying at Le conleau and biking into town although there is a bus at the gate. Another historic and picturesque town by a huge Stratford lough type inlet (Le Morbihan).

Le Croisic west of st nazaire. Small pretty seaside village with a couple of Aires and other sites. Sea salt capital of France.

Il de Re should not be missed, a resort island over a huge bridge. Cycling paradise. Another salt producing area with loads of pretty little villages and plenty of sites. Le Bois plage en Re, Camping les Varrenes is our choice, small quiet with small pool.

Il de Oleron is another favourite, less touristy but good especially if you head towards the end. Big Aire at St Denis de Oleron,

Need to connect tablet to charger so I will post this in case I lose it. More to follow if you are happy.

Davy

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2016  ·  #11
Plugged in and charging.

La Rochelle is between the two islands, not to be missed. We stay at the park and ride Aire. Free bus included in the price, there are other free Aires but bunged and lots of sites, busy boating port, lots of buzz. Good aquarium walled city market lots of shops etc.

Rochefort is nearby. An inland port. Good Aire and Acsi site close to town centre. Visit the transporteur, suspension ferry/platform. Most interesting. They were also building a proper sailing frigate last time we were there.

Bordeaux. Big city, good Acsi site. Camping du lac. Bus at entrance.

Visit the dune du pyla, biggest sand dune in Europe. South of Arcachon, although we park at Andernos Les Bains. Seaside resort but quiet sites and aires available. After that the way south is flat, full of pine forests and has little to commend it until you get to Bayonne.

Bayonne has huge long beaches, a couple of Aires and proper sites, a bus that will take you into town if you wish. We cycled, couple of miles just.

That links us back to my post on the Pyrenees. I am sure others will add suggestions to rival, better or disagree with mine. Should give you lots of ideas, and a lot of it achievable in 17 days.

Feel free to ask for more detail on any where I mentioned. I am happy to post, PM or can even chat on the phone if you want.

Davy

presstout1
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 896f
Base Vehicle: Fait Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2016  ·  #12
Definately buy All the Aires France.
Even if you try some of the places listed, the books will give you the cordinates & information about them.
Very useful.
Enjoy your trip

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2016  ·  #13
Not as far as the Pryanees but my trip this year across the top of Normandy (first stop Honfluer)and then down the Brittany coast as far as La Rochelle (also google map with stopping places and prices etc). Never used a campsite but there are plenty of links on the going to France page for campsites and municipal sites.
http://www.rebbyvid.co.uk/blog/4578818926

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2016  ·  #14
Quote by presstout1

Definately buy All the Aires France.
Even if you try some of the places listed, the books will give you the cordinates & information about them.
Very useful.
Enjoy your trip

I concur.
All the Aires is a must. Also, download park4night and the campercontact APP's, both are very good.
France is just too big time try and squeeze it into a couple of weeks, we've traveled that coast a few years. The 2 Islands north and south of La Rochelle is a nice visit and great for cycling.
Also a visit to Cognac is nice. I've found lovely little villages /stops inland 20km or so and always much quieter than the costal Aires/sites.
Whatever trip you decide, have a great time and enjoy.

hulio
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Bailey 740
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.12.2016  ·  #15
Quote by t18con

Since talk has came round to booking ferries etc. for 2017 season..... the wife has insisted we slow it down a bit, and rather than rushing around several countries during our annual 17 days abroad, we're going to travel LEISURELY down the Atlantic coast of France and possibly into the Pyranees, we still want to do a "Top Gear" style climb up a mountain pass if possible.

So... talk to me... where is NOT to be missed? any recommendations?? I have zero knowledge on the subject. Preferences are for quiet, not family campsites, historic towns, beaches, scenery, mountains.... that should cover it. :D

So glad you asked this question :D
We were in the pyranees this year and loved it so much we intend spending 3 weeks there next year
some very good info picked up in this thread
so thank you all concerned :up: :up: :up:

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2017  ·  #16
We also love the Pyrenees and make a point of visiting some part every year . Since you plan to travel West to East would recommend make you way to Laruns , from there you could take a nice drive up the mountain pass to the Spanish border( about 15 miles) shopping zone and stock up with very cheap booze ,tobacco etc, then from Laruns to Arrens Marsous but only if your MH is not too tall/big , a very scenic but good road along some cliff edges and some tunnels with no lights. From Arrens just a few miles to Lac Du Tec , beautiful and good aire there.Back to Arrens then just a few miles down to Lac Estaing,again beautiful with mountain walks, MHs park nearly anywhere but we like the campsite , handy restaurant. On to Argeles Gazost. A few miles Nth is Lourdes which is one of those must see places , it's commercial Jesus gone mad , a bit sad to watch all the people in wheelchairs, cripples etc hoping for a cure and others queuing at the row of holy water taps. Don't stay there , go Sth through Argeles again to Cauterets , try and get into the Aire near the town square not the big one at the bus type station. Visit the touristy bits ie town and waterfalls, walks . Back to Argeles and this time head down to Gavarnie, stay in the Aire just up from the town . If you are fit walk to the Cirq and do take the MH up the hill past the ski station ( Marmots everywhere) to the car park in the sky and do the walk to Spain. There is another lovely little scenic road into the mountains which ends up in a gravel path walkway , it's the left turn between the Aire and the town.( more Marmots) ( beware of cows with calfs) ( eye out for Patous). gavarnie done then back to Gedre and if you have time there is a great scenic drive from here to the Cirque de Troumouse, the last few miles of this has a toll but it's worth it .Also enroute to Troumouse you will see a sign for a Barrage, it's only a couple of miles and worth it , if you are fit you can walk from this barrage to the Cirque de Estaube. Back to Gedre then Luz Saint Sauveur to take the scenic( and narrow in places) road across the Col du Tourmalet and the Col D'Aspin to Arreau. About three quarters away along this mountain rd is a great place to stop for an overnight on grass by a lake , there might be up to 40 MH's parked there but loads of room but strangely because of the lay of the land and trees you cannot see this spot from the route and would drive by it . You turn RT where it's signposted for Hourquett d' Ancizan and the MH aire is only a few hundred yards more. From Arreau to Aragnouet, From here you are only a few minutes drive from Piau Engaly ski ctr , and a few minutes from the tunnel to Spain for a day trip , but best is the little mountain road up to Lac d Oredon and Lac de Cap De Long there is also a cafe /restaurant at the barrage and other roads/ walking trails to other nearby lakes , stunning views from over 2,500 mtrs without having to walk .Love these places and could go on but better stop now , hope this has given you some ideas. If you follow the suggested route on Google Earth you'll see it makes some sort of sense.

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2017  ·  #17
PS We have videos of our travels to all those places if you want to see any - any excuse will do ha ha .

hulio
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Bailey 740
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2017  ·  #18
Quote by spatuladad123

We also love the Pyrenees and make a point of visiting some part every year . Since you plan to travel West to East would recommend make you way to Laruns , from there you could take a nice drive up the mountain pass to the Spanish border( about 15 miles) shopping zone and stock up with very cheap booze ,tobacco etc, then from Laruns to Arrens Marsous but only if your MH is not too tall/big , a very scenic but good road along some cliff edges and some tunnels with no lights. From Arrens just a few miles to Lac Du Tec , beautiful and good aire there.Back to Arrens then just a few miles down to Lac Estaing,again beautiful with mountain walks, MHs park nearly anywhere but we like the campsite , handy restaurant. On to Argeles Gazost. A few miles Nth is Lourdes which is one of those must see places , it's commercial Jesus gone mad , a bit sad to watch all the people in wheelchairs, cripples etc hoping for a cure and others queuing at the row of holy water taps. Don't stay there , go Sth through Argeles again to Cauterets , try and get into the Aire near the town square not the big one at the bus type station. Visit the touristy bits ie town and waterfalls, walks . Back to Argeles and this time head down to Gavarnie, stay in the Aire just up from the town . If you are fit walk to the Cirq and do take the MH up the hill past the ski station ( Marmots everywhere) to the car park in the sky and do the walk to Spain. There is another lovely little scenic road into the mountains which ends up in a gravel path walkway , it's the left turn between the Aire and the town.( more Marmots) ( beware of cows with calfs) ( eye out for Patous). gavarnie done then back to Gedre and if you have time there is a great scenic drive from here to the Cirque de Troumouse, the last few miles of this has a toll but it's worth it .Also enroute to Troumouse you will see a sign for a Barrage, it's only a couple of miles and worth it , if you are fit you can walk from this barrage to the Cirque de Estaube. Back to Gedre then Luz Saint Sauveur to take the scenic( and narrow in places) road across the Col du Tourmalet and the Col D'Aspin to Arreau. About three quarters away along this mountain rd is a great place to stop for an overnight on grass by a lake , there might be up to 40 MH's parked there but loads of room but strangely because of the lay of the land and trees you cannot see this spot from the route and would drive by it . You turn RT where it's signposted for Hourquett d' Ancizan and the MH aire is only a few hundred yards more. From Arreau to Aragnouet, From here you are only a few minutes drive from Piau Engaly ski ctr , and a few minutes from the tunnel to Spain for a day trip , but best is the little mountain road up to Lac d Oredon and Lac de Cap De Long there is also a cafe /restaurant at the barrage and other roads/ walking trails to other nearby lakes , stunning views from over 2,500 mtrs without having to walk .Love these places and could go on but better stop now , hope this has given you some ideas. If you follow the suggested route on Google Earth you'll see it makes some sort of sense.

Brilliant post and so informative
Thank you :up: :up: :up:

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2017  ·  #19
Forgot to mention one of the main reason for going from Laruns towards the Spanish border is the stop off at Fabreges ski village by the lake. ( have stayed there)There is a good aire at walking distance from the center but from there you get a cable car up the mountain with stunning views of the Midi D'Ossau ( highest peak in the area) and then from there you get on the little train which takes you along the mountains to Lac D Artouste. We decided we would do the train on our way back from Spain but there was a huge thunder/lightening storm that day and we couldn't go , so disappointed , maybe this year.

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2017  ·  #20
Cashing in on some of the info here also, thanks everyone. We are heading back to France in the summer. Previously we have done the West Coast to Bordeaux & back taking in Ile de Ré, La Rochelle, Oleron etc. We have also done Normandy - Paris - Black Forest - Strasbourg - Normandy.

This year we will probably meet up with my BIL near Bergerac and after/before that I was thinking of heading down to the Pyrenees so very appreciative of the info on here especially that campsite suggestion of Aidob as, unlike T18con, we will be on the lookout for a good family site at some point as a treat. The idea of exploring the Pyrenees with a few nights & days at Les Trois Vallees is rather appealing :D

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2017  ·  #21
You asked about 'unmissables' - also on that same wonderful road between Luz Saint Sauveur and the Col D'Aspin at La Mongie there is another cable car lift to the Pic Du Midi Du Bigorre - check opening times , we missed out again. -Apparently open all year except Late Nov & Dec - except in adverse weather conditions ie high winds.

t18con
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2017  ·  #22
Many thanks for all the suggestions guys! plenty to look up now.

fork
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2019  ·  #23
I have been reading this thread with interest because we are heading towards the pyranees from Santander port next week.
Just wondered if any member's had any more recommendations around the general Lourdes area and what direction from there might be nice to head for a few days before heading back to Santander?

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #24
Quote by fork

I have been reading this thread with interest because we are heading towards the pyranees from Santander port next week.
Just wondered if any member's had any more recommendations around the general Lourdes area and what direction from there might be nice to head for a few days before heading back to Santander?

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #25

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #26
That's the first time I've seen a road close for lunch, tarmac sandwiches I suppose 😁😁

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Atlantic coast and Pyranees

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #27
.56749 -0.54532 The road thru to Col'd Aubisque from Col'd Soulor only open from 06.00 til 12.30 and return from 13.00 to 19.30

Is it one direction in the morning and the other in the afternoon?.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #28
Yes that is correct. I did a google translate a while back on another forum from a picture uploaded by someone asking the same question. If I remember, there was a weight limit involved. I shall try and find the post.

Davy

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #29
witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #30
Quote by sprinter

Is it one direction in the morning and the other in the afternoon?.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.