The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Good spots for paddling and kayaking

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #1
So I see Aldi are selling inflatable dinghies and kayaks this Sunday. I’m planning to pick up one of these. It’s a 3 person inflatable dinghy for €50. An Aldi boat for €50 euro, what could go wrong? 😬 Anyway, that’s not what I’m looking to discuss, so you sailing aficionados can stop gasping and trying to persuade me to spend lots of money on a big brand. I don’t do any water sports, so to dip my toes in a little easy paddling once or twice a year sounds like a bit of fun.

So I wonder if any of you craicers can suggest good spots for paddling or kayaking. Preferably not the sea, unless there are some very safe coves you know about. The only places springing to mind for me right now are on Lough Ree, such as Lough Ree East campsite and Hodson bay. Lough Derg new Killaloe is another possible option. Lough Corrib, I’m really not sure about as I have heard there are strong currents.

Any more suggestions?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #2
Quote by The Rambler

So I see Aldi are selling inflatable dinghies and kayaks this Sunday. I’m planning to pick up one of these. It’s a 3 person inflatable dinghy for €50. An Aldi boat for €50 euro, what could go wrong? 😬 Anyway, that’s not what I’m looking to discuss, so you sailing aficionados can stop gasping and trying to persuade me to spend lots of money on a big brand. I don’t do any water sports, so to dip my toes in a little easy paddling once or twice a year sounds like a bit of fun.

So I wonder if any of you craicers can suggest good spots for paddling or kayaking. Preferably not the sea, unless there are some very safe coves you know about. The only places springing to mind for me right now are on Lough Ree, such as Lough Ree East campsite and Hodson bay. Lough Derg new Killaloe is another possible option. Lough Corrib, I’m really not sure about as I have heard there are strong currents.

Any more suggestions?

you could drown, get life jackets, unfortunately, they will probably cost you more than the boat.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Re: Good spots for paddling and kayaking

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #3
Graiguenamanagh seems well setup for canoes. It's on the app

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #4
Quote by sprinter

you could drown, get life jackets, unfortunately, they will probably cost you more than the boat.

Already ahead of you. I have looked at PFDs on Decathlon.ie.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #5
Quote by Eamonn

Graiguenamanagh seems well setup for canoes. It's on the app

Canoes and that boat are 2 completely different things "obviously", there's not a lot of control in fast water in the boat it could also be blown out into the middle of a lake etc also waves could be a problem, I'd get a canoe rather than the boat IMO

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #6
Dromineer, Co Tipperary on the shore of Lough Derg.
Terryglass, Co Tipperary .
Portumna aire .
Lough Ennille, outside of Mullinigar with a campsite across the road.
Lakeside camping in Mountshannon, Co Claire, again on the shores of lough Derg.
There is 5 locations with little or no water currents.

"Graiguenamanagh seems well setup for canoes."

And so it is but the barrow is quite a fast flowing river in that location, which means a fair struggle to go upstream.

Most of the commercial kayak hire companies, send customers downstream and a mini bus with a trailer completes the return journey.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #7
The biggest issue with inflatable boats or kayaks is the wind, not water currents.
They sit quite high in the water, leading to the wind driving your off of your course.
Because of flexibility of inflation, when you need to power row, the boat or kayak will flex beneath you, and your stroke loses its power.
The other issue that cropped up with me was, when alone in an inflatable double kayak, I sat in the centre of it, but the front and back popped up into the air which caused more wind issues.
That frightened me, a brown shorts moment.
After that trip, it was donated to the local Scout group, who have successfully used it loads of times.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #8
Quote by The Rambler

Any more suggestions?

Keep looking at the pretty pictures in the catalogue and leave it at that. The only place for those types of inflatables is in a 2' deep pool in your own back garden. It's not a pleasant job getting kitted up to go look for bodies, especially children's.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #9
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by sprinter

Already ahead of you. I have looked at PFDs on Decathlon.ie.

Good choice I got our girls some last year in France, they are both in seascouts and Decathlon had some great colours . great to have something different,
Ardmore ( Dicks Field ) would be great because the bay is very shallow as anyone who tries to swim will tell you you have to nearly walk to wales to get it over your hips.
Duncannon in Wexford is another with shallow water and the caravan park is across the road from the beach.

There is s weeks holiday for you already. and do what we always did with light inflatables put them on a long rope anchored your yourself

raglanroad
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Campeo 600 pop top
Base Vehicle: 2020 ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #10
Quote by The Rambler

Any more suggestions?

Meelick Quay on the Shannon

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #11
Good tips and locations Thorn and Sprinter. And Eirebus you are of coarse right. There are place you can go in a Kayak you wouldn’t do in that little boat. If it was a sporting activity just for myself I would probably go for a kayak. But I am not looking for rapids or white water rafting. Just places where two people and a dog could causally paddle out to, crack open a can (of lemonade) and relax. 😋

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #12
Using an inflatable kayak/ boat for a leisurely paddie, my recommendations would be to use them on a canal.
The canals have no currents and are fairly sheltered from wind.
I accept that The Rambler is based on the western coast, where canals weren't built.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #13
Jason, I think you might be getting the impression that we don't agree with the direction you're going in, and you would be correct, but forgive us for that, as we who are involved in water sports, would have your and if you have children their best interest at Hart, by all means get them interested in the water but do do by, Swimming/ lifesaving/ Paddling/ Snorkeling/ Diving / Sailing. With recognized club's who can teach them how to deal with water and come back safe.
Like Flipperdipper has said its not a situation anyone wants to get involved in especially when you know who you are there for.
Been there done that and hope never to do it again and don't want the tee shirt.
Sorry to put a downer but I think it needs to be said.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #14
I have an Intex Explorer K2. Not as good as a solid one but it fits into 2 medium rucksacks including all my life jackets, oars, etc. I regularly take it out on to my local lake (Camlough Lake near Newry) either on my own or with my son. The wind does not bother it much but because the sides are so wide you have to put the paddles out fairly far from the centre of the boat so if you are on your own in the back it can tend to push the Kayak to one side or the other as you pull the par through the water. It can move fairly quick and is nimble enough for a big 2 person inflatable Kayak and would likely take more effort to tip than solid one as it has such a wide base. I would only use it on a calm sea but then I would only take an Kayak on a calm sea myself. I was at Clogherhead yesterday which is a very flat beach with few waves and the Irish army (or cadets they were supervising) were out in solid Kayaks. I would happily have taken the inflatable out there. I would stick with well known brands and the K2 gets good reviews.

Intex Explorer K2 Two-Person Kayak with Oars + Pump https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0…jDbR09NNYA

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #15
I would add I have a windsock at the back of the house and if there is much wind at all I don’t take the inflatable Kayak out. There are sheltered areas of the lake where the usual prevailing wind does not get you so I stick to that small area if the wind picks up. I keep close to the edge moat of the time. Newry Canal would be an option too if you were in the area as like others have said it is more sheltered than open bodies of water and you are never far from land.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #16
Quote by The Rambler

Good tips and locations Thorn and Sprinter. And Eirebus you are of coarse right. There are place you can go in a Kayak you wouldn’t do in that little boat. If it was a sporting activity just for myself I would probably go for a kayak. But I am not looking for rapids or white water rafting. Just places where two people and a dog could causally paddle out to, crack open a can (of lemonade) and relax. 😋

Come to Wexford, give me a shout. I’ll give you a lake, the sea, safe cove, and a gorgeous place to park up for a night or three.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2019  ·  #17
Quote by Daffysparks

Come to Wexford, give me a shout. I’ll give you a lake, the sea, safe cove, and a gorgeous place to park up for a night or three.

Well, I haven’t found a better offer than that. I might just end up giving up motorhoming for a seafaring life. For a night or three anyway. Cheers David 🚣

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.07.2019  ·  #18
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by Daffysparks

Well, I haven’t found a better offer than that. I might just end up giving up motorhoming for a seafaring life. For a night or three anyway. Cheers David 🚣

At the right time of year, I can throw in an island to stroll around after your kayaking exertions. The land will take a camper or two as well as the kayaks. All privately owned. PM me if you are thinking of heading this direction

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #19
Quote by The Rambler

Any more suggestions?

Did you purchase afterwards?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #20
I did. Inflated it in the garden. Seems ok. Got a couple of life jackets. We might get to try it out this weekend but we wont venture out too far. Calm coves and Harbour only.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #21
Get about a 10 metre lenght of a rope and tie is to the front of the kayak.
If you ever get into trouble, it will help you for a tow or a tie up at the shore.
Best of luck.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #22
Good advice.

MunsterGeo Overland
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2019  ·  #23
Lough Gur in Co. Limerick is a nice spot although motorhome parking for anything more than a van conversion could not be recommended. Access roads are narrow too.

Public toilets that are usually clean are at the site and there's a coffee shop in the visitor centre.

Free parking and no fees involved. Easy lake access from a grass shore.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2019  ·  #24
I have been there In a 7.3 mts van, and my mate in his 10.5 meter American Rv. Narrow roads alright, but space enough for parking. Good spot for kayaking alright. Well done, a good shout

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2019  ·  #25
We parked there once and had a walk around. It would be a good spot for paddling . It would also be a great spot for overnighting. Pity about the barriers.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2019  ·  #26
Quote by The Rambler

We parked there once and had a walk around. It would be a good spot for paddling . It would also be a great spot for overnighting. Pity about the barriers.

Its only approx 9 miles away from us, we take the Dogs there for a walk occasionally, never noticed the Barriers or never ventured there in the Motorhome. and I wouldn't recommend anyone with a large Motorhome to either, the Roads are terrible.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2019  ·  #27
Ah sure when they see the monster coming they move over. Leaves loads of room for me then 😂

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.