davetherave
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

Re: Door hinge seized

· 
Posted: 27.06.2019  ·  #42

Hi Guys, I had a go at it today and got it sorted. It turns out that the outer hinge part has the bolt attached to it so I was able to remove it by applying pressure outwards while opening and closing it with a vice grips. When I got them out a fine power came out as well as some gunk. I was able to wire brush the bolt and use a rats take file to clean out the part of the hinge attached to the frame. I put oil on the bolts and put back together. Grease would probably have been better. There are working perfectly now. Putting WD40 in the holes at the top of the hinge will not free up this type of hinge.

Thanks for all the help.

David

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Door hinge seized

· 
Posted: 27.06.2019  ·  #43
Quote by davetherave

My hinges are pop riveted to the door frame which is going to make it very award to replace

Why you just drill out the rivet head with the same size drill as the rivet body. the body will be about 2mm smaller then the head .if you comeback with the size of the head we can tell you what size to use.

davetherave
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.06.2019  ·  #44
Quote by sprinter

Quote by davetherave

My hinges are pop riveted to the door frame which is going to make it very award to replace

Why you just drill out the rivet head with the same size drill as the rivet body. the body will be about 2mm smaller then the head .if you comeback with the size of the head we can tell you what size to use.

I don't need to remove the hinge from the frame now Sprinter. It’s working fine. Thanks for the advice.🤗

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2019  ·  #45
Had a go at mine today, it was only one pin from 4 that was seized, cleaned the pins up with WD40 and a rag until they were shiny and applied a liberal amount of grease.

Decided to do the garage door at the other side as a preventive measure, took less than 10 minutes when everything was moving freely from the start, doing it a pin at a time means that the door doesn't even need to come off, I'd recommend doing this even if you don't have a problem right now.

wanderingaimlessly
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Nissan Interstar
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2019  ·  #46
have any of you got any words of wisdom regarding a rear door hinge on a nissan interstar/renault master that is seized? tried wd40 penetrating spray and a gentle belt of a hammer but no luck......looking at taking the door off altogether and approching it from there.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2019  ·  #47
There should be plenty door hinges sfor the master/interstar in the salvage yard,
They are a popular van and usually the commercial have a shorter life span than leisure, normally 4 bolts and you should be sorted, grease the replacement before you fit it, 👍🏻👍🏻

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2019  ·  #48
Quote by wanderingaimlessly

have any of you got any words of wisdom regarding a rear door hinge on a nissan interstar/renault master that is seized? tried wd40 penetrating spray and a gentle belt of a hammer but no luck......looking at taking the door off altogether and approching it from there.

If you can get the original one off place it in a bucket of tin and fill with diesel,let it steap for a few days before taking it out and get it moving again.
Then place it back in for a short time again before re fitting.

wanderingaimlessly
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Nissan Interstar
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2019  ·  #49
Well, got it sorted today with a bit brute force and ignorance. ptfe spray for bikes from lidl worked wonders on the seized hinges. myself and a friend spent about an hour, and 2 beers, working it out slowly and spraying the hell out of them, then clenaing them out with a compressor gun and then respraying again. I had looked at breakers yards but any I found were in bad condition and apparently its a frustrating job putting on new hinges and lining them up correctly. I think the secret is to keep them used and lubed regulary and apparently silicon spray is the best to use as it doesnt collect dust or grim like grease does.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.