Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

NEWCASTLE AIRSHOW 2019

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #1
I checked with a contact in the council. Motorhome parking will be available at the Donard car park overflow area, with an ability to stay Saturday night. This parking is at the top of the hill and you should approach from Shanslieve Drive. From Bryansford Avenue (south end of town) follow the signs for ymca greenhill.

Unfortunately it is not open on Friday as no stewards will be on duty, so access on the day (no published time) until Sunday.

Ensure you park with wheels on, or near firm ground or use mats to get you going as I seem to recall someone having problems getting out a couple of years back.

The Castle car park will be closed to all traffic as it is being used for exhibits etc. The rock pool car park is available.

If anyone is on the craic Facebook page they might copy and paste this info onto that site.

As an aside I was asking my contact how his side viewed the use of Castle Park so far. They have no complaints and will erect signage soon. He did say that they had one or two people comment on the fact that cars park in the bays, the signs will point up the fact that the parking is shared in order to maximise spaces (like many aires on the continent).

A Motorhome owner complained to staff at the Newcastle centre about the closure of the Glen river car park asking where they were suppose to dump their waste, when asked where they dumped at the Glen River they back pedalled and left. The staff pointed out there are toilet facilities at Donard and Castle car parks. I dread to think what they had been doing. Certainly does not help our cause but not entirely unexpected. I did mention the couple of instances of anti social behaviour by young people at Castle car park. He was not aware of these and of course have no control over this.

Davy

Liked by: sammy b

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: NEWCASTLE AIRSHOW 2019

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #2
Quote by Davy

If anyone is on the craic Facebook page they might copy and paste this info onto that site.

Davy

I always try and add anything like this, linking back to here of course.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #3
Quote by Davy

As an aside I was asking my contact how his side viewed the use of Castle Park so far. They have no complaints and will erect signage soon. He did say that they had one or two people comment on the fact that cars park in the bays, the signs will point up the fact that the parking is shared in order to maximise spaces (like many aires on the continent).

Good, that will save me explaining all the time on crappy Bakebook.

Quote by Davy

A Motorhome owner complained to staff at the Newcastle centre about the closure of the Glen river car park asking where they were suppose to dump their waste, when asked where they dumped at the Glen River they back pedalled and left. The staff pointed out there are toilet facilities at Donard and Castle car parks. I dread to think what they had been doing. Certainly does not help our cause but not entirely unexpected.

Can we blame the parents? :-/

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #4
Quote by Davy

Ensure you park with wheels on, or near firm ground or use mats to get you going as I seem to recall someone having problems getting out a couple of years back.

That would have been me! I now have a set of mats and if I am on grass I use them.

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #5
Quote by the fat controller

Quote by Davy

That would have been me! I now have a set of mats and if I am on grass I use them.

What are your mats like. Are they especially for getting off soft ground.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #6

I think I remember seeing you stuck. It was in the main grass area rather than the top Motorhome overflow part? If I was in my troop carrier or Jeep I would have had you out in 2 seconds. If I had of tried in the Motorhome we probably would have both been in the same boat!

Didn’t you get stuck on Portstewart strand once too or am I mistaken? I have heard that modified plastic bread crates work well for parking on and helping you get out. Probably a bit bulky to carry though I would think.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #7
@Davy Is it Ok to park for a few hours on the Friday evening (6pm to 9pm) in The Donard carpark using the ‘bus parking’ before moving on to a campsite.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #8
I would imagine it probably is as I rarely see coaches there of an evening, although i am only a ratepayer, so can’t give a definitive answer. I can’t imagine there would be enforcement officers out then although I am sure that on the Saturday the coach parking will be required and possibly marshalled.

Davy

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #9
Quote by gavster1

I think I remember seeing you stuck. It was in the main grass area rather than the top Motorhome overflow part? If I was in my troop carrier or Jeep I would have had you out in 2 seconds. If I had of tried in the Motorhome we probably would have both been in the same boat!

Didn’t you get stuck on Portstewart strand once too or am I mistaken? I have heard that modified plastic bread crates work well for parking on and helping you get out. Probably a bit bulky to carry though I would think.

Ashamed to say it was a bit of a habit 😊🤣

I have the bread basket bottoms now as the mats easy stored and easy to use

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.06.2019  ·  #10
These arrived today from eBay. Worth a try for £10.99. I’ll try them under my wheels at Newcastle and see if they are any good. Seem stronger and with more grip than plastic bread trays.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0…3177734309

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.06.2019  ·  #11
Quote by gavster1

These arrived today from eBay. Worth a try for £10.99. I’ll try them under my wheels at Newcastle and see if they are any good. Seem stronger and with more grip than plastic bread trays.

Very interested in seeing how they fair as I'm looking for something similar. Probably could do with them for Dunfanaghy given the weather.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2019  ·  #12
Arrived at 4pm and the rock pool car park was already full. About 7 vans and a couple of car. Another 6 vans in Donald and loads driving around the area. Think the council have missed a trick tonight. They could have made a few pounds in the upper car park. We really do need to get a shorter MH.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2019  ·  #13
just found out that the step son dropped his van off at the rock pool last night just to guarantee a place today!

I take it that the Donard park bit isnt open then

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2019  ·  #14
Apparently the upper car park will open tomorrow. A few vans are set up for the night in main car park.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2019  ·  #15
Upper car park now open and filling fast.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2019  ·  #16
Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2019  ·  #17
Thought you could not stay over on Friday night. I won’t be there until about 11am in Saturday so I hope there will still be spaces. If they could open that more over the summer an charge for it they would be on to something.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2019  ·  #18
Can’t make it with the van but working at the show. I’m the guy with one of the pink bibs and a big butterfly net. Child Safety Officer. Say hello

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2019  ·  #19
Brilliant day today. Met a few craicers and perhaps soon to be craicers. Met @Merlin and @mark&Wendy and @Davy. . I’m staying over with quite few other vans. Would be great if the council allowed overnighting it even day parking here now often. @Ally I finally got to use my Lilipad Leisure windbreaker thing. Great job and very handy.

MerlinTheMotorhome
merlinthemotorhome
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2019  ·  #20
Quote by gavster1

Brilliant day today. Met a few craicers and perhaps soon to be craicers. Met @Merlin and @mark&Wendy and @Davy. . I’m staying over with quite few other vans. Would be great if the council allowed overnighting it even day parking here now often. @Ally I finally got to use my Lilipad Leisure windbreaker thing. Great job and very handy.

Great to meet you Gavster, you've a lovely wee family.

My wee ones bolted with the older one once the hab door was opened, I went looking for them and found them playing with Gavsters family like they were long lost cousins. and that's how we met. 🤘

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

NEWCASTLE AIRSHOW 2019

· 
Posted: 25.06.2019  ·  #21
Quote by MerlinTheMotorhome

Quote by gavster1

Great to meet you Gavster, you've a lovely wee family.

My wee ones bolted with the older one once the hab door was opened, I went looking for them and found them playing with Gavsters family like they were long lost cousins. and that's how we met. 🤘

Noe isn't that exactly what a club is all about.
Friends making friends no matter what the age.
Sometimes the adults / oldies could learn from the children, just get stuck in.

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2019  ·  #22
Quote by JMAC

Quote by gavster1

Very interested in seeing how they fair as I'm looking for something similar. Probably could do with them for Dunfanaghy given the weather.

Gavster did you get to try them out.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2019  ·  #23
Yes I did although the ground was pretty dry and I wasn’t parked fully on them as the van rolled slightly down the levelling ramps I was also using as I was putting putting the handbrake on and I didn't bother moving it again when I noticed. They certainly pressed into the ground and kept the van up as some clods were stuck in a few of the gaps. Not a scratch on them and they take up very little room. Can’t go wrong for that price.

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2019  ·  #24
Quote by gavster1

Yes I did although the ground was pretty dry and I wasn’t parked fully on them as the van rolled slightly down the levelling ramps I was also using as I was putting putting the handbrake on and I didn't bother moving it again when I noticed. They certainly pressed into the ground and kept the van up as some clods were stuck in a few of the gaps. Not a scratch on them and they take up very little room. Can’t go wrong for that price.

Thanks for the response Gavin. Do you put them down before driving onto the levellers so that your rolling back down on to them when coming off or do you put the levellers on top.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2019  ·  #25
I think that depends on the type of mat and levellers you have. I used to have yellow Fiamma levellers which had a lattice base and solid ramp. My mud mats are also solid with ridges and studs so logic dictated I put these down with the levellers on top to avoid them sinking into the ground.
My current ramps are Milenco with solid base and lattice ramp, so this frees up the mats to go under the other wheels. The ramps are usually used on the front on a hymer as they sit nose down.
I think the overriding dictation is that you need the grip under the drive wheels to get you moving as my experience is that the van tries to settle into the ground over a day or so. If you can get the van moving and don’t stop until solid ground you stand a decent chance unless it is a quagmire. To this end I always park facing my escape route and with the drive wheels nearest solid ground. If ramps are needed on the front I endeavour to reverse on in order to drive off in the direction of escape.

Davy

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2019  ·  #26
We have new Milenco triple levellers, bought when we were all at craic meeting in Donaghys last year. Only started to use in France, the upper part bits seemed to have collapsed but more like melted, possibly hot rubber tyres in sun?? If staying a few days on grass where define slope you can feel yourself sinking over the days even in dry weather.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2019  ·  #27
I used the levellers on my left wheels and the grips on the right. I haven’t had an issue with my levellers sinking before. I used to drive onto my ramps (Milenco I think) as I can see them easier out the window than reversing but was told recently it may be better to reverse into them to make greeting moving easier, especially if there is no room to reverse back.

You can see I wasn’t fully parked on the grip mats but the centre of the wheel was still on them and they still did the job. The weight was on one end of them but they still did the job. If the ground had of been damp I would have took the time to centre it better.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.