C1 Lessons in Dublin Area

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #1
I'm thinking I'd like to take some C1 lessons and do the test with the possible view to uprate the van to 3850kgs.

Has anyone done C1 lessons in the Dublin/Louth/North East area and can recommend a company?

Thanks.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: C1 Lessons in Dublin Area

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #2
I've looked into it before, very few driving schools with C1 vehicles, the logic being you may as well just get the C license rather than restrict yourself to C1.

There's one place with a C1 vehicle in Naas and possibly another by the Airport.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #3
Irish school of motroring do it - I fou d them great for the motorbike, and will use them if I go for a c1

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #4
It's the best part of €2,000 to prepare and do a C license test.
You might as well get the C license because it costs the same as the C1.

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #5
Quote by Thorn123

I spoke to ISM and they think 2-3 lessons would be enough for the C1 @ €150 for each 2 hour lesson. They said at least double that for C.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2019  ·  #6
C1 is way easier than C. For C you must do test on 17t HGV and learn how to use a split box ( 8 gears in a single H pattern, eg. 1st. & 5th. are in the same position etc.)
A C1 test can be done in something like a heavy Sprinter or Iveco Daily which have regular gearboxes and are similar to the average motorhome to drive.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2019  ·  #7
Quote by Thorn123

I had a young lad who used drive a tractor for me in the past who decided to up his driving options and did the test for the Bus, passed it with flying colours and then discovered he could take 52 passengers in a bus to Dublin or where ever and couldn't legally take 52 Lambs to the local Mart in a Truck. You would think a Bus test would also cover a rigid lorry.
I think these Tests are a money racket!

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2019  ·  #8
Quote by essjay

Quote by Thorn123

I spoke to ISM and they think 2-3 lessons would be enough for the C1 @ €150 for each 2 hour lesson. They said at least double that for C.

Be careful.
A phone quote with no assessment of your driving ability?
I am not having a go at you.
Between 1998 and 2010, I have done 3 different classes of driving tests, B,C, and EC.
Both the C and EC cost about €1500 each, when you add in things like medical certs, theory tests and vehicle hire for the test.
From my experience, a 10 lesson pack is necessary because there is no longer a specific test route.
Now testers have the ability to change a route or direction during a test.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2019  ·  #9
Might be of interest to those who have a c and don't really want to ever drive a HGV again .when my licences came up for renewal for the last 10year one I was going to get. My Vet didn't want me to take a stress test after having a stent fitted. but no one could tell me if I could drop the HGV keep the C1 so if I wanted to go for Motorhome over 3500kg I would still have the license.
In the end, all I did was to fill out the application form for what I wanted and the licence came back perfect.

KeithF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.06.2019  ·  #10
I needed a C1 for when I got my Euramobil, Found it so hard to find someone in the Dublin area and then who did not want to try and sell me a large block of lessons! After searching for a while, I found Dessie in Kildare Driving School, Based in Naas. I asked him for how much for a block of lessons, He asked why I wanted a block and I explained i thought it was the norm. He told me come down and do 1 lesson to see how I got on. What was brilliant was that Dessie has a 5.5 tonne sprinter which is the same as a standard sprinter only with a double rear axle! Anyway, went down and did the one lesson, Dessie was very happy with my driving and suggested just one more on the morning of my test, He also let me hire the sprinter for the test... Long story short, I passed first time and could not recommend Dessie highly enough! I know after sending people his way he also has rigid trucks too!

Here is a link to his site:
https://www.drivinglessonkildare.ie/beginner-lessons

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.06.2019  ·  #11
I would think anyone driving around in a 4 berth or more 3500kg motorhome with a wider then van body should have no problem getting a C1. Do exactly like Keith or get an instructor to go out with you in your own motorhome for an estimated of your skills and go from there.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.06.2019  ·  #12
Quote by KeithF

I needed a C1 for when I got my Euramobil, Found it so hard to find someone in the Dublin area and then who did not want to try and sell me a large block of lessons! After searching for a while, I found Dessie in Kildare Driving School, Based in Naas. I asked him for how much for a block of lessons, He asked why I wanted a block and I explained i thought it was the norm. He told me come down and do 1 lesson to see how I got on. What was brilliant was that Dessie has a 5.5 tonne sprinter which is the same as a standard sprinter only with a double rear axle! Anyway, went down and did the one lesson, Dessie was very happy with my driving and suggested just one more on the morning of my test, He also let me hire the sprinter for the test... Long story short, I passed first time and could not recommend Dessie highly enough! I know after sending people his way he also has rigid trucks too!

My B license is up for renewal soon, might look at a C1 learner permit at the same time. Naas would be handy enough for a couple of lessons, might give him a call.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2022  ·  #13
Quote by <BM>

Quote by KeithF

My B license is up for renewal soon, might look at a C1 learner permit at the same time. Naas would be handy enough for a couple of lessons, might give him a call.

Well I finally got off my ass and completer the Truck Theory Test so need to decide what the next step is, maybe some of you fine people can advise... Realistically, I'll never be a truck driver so C1 would be as much as I'd ever really need but is there much more overhead to doing the C lessons and test than the C1? If it's much the same effort, unrestricted might be the way to go. Anyone done the C1 and later the C who might have an insight?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2022  ·  #14
I would go for the C1 if that's all you need,no point doing a test in a big vehicle if you don't have to, more to deal with during the test , I've an EC ,so I have done the C test, no idea of present costs though

Liked by: <BM>, Comet

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2022  ·  #15
There's a driving school in Naas that have a C1 vehicle, I think it's a 4.5t Sprinter (the twin wheel version)
I did the C licence test about 15 years ago and there is a huge amount to get your head around that not relevant to driving a motorhome over 3.5t.
Unlike the car test you don't need a minimum number of lessons, if your competent to drive something like a Sprinter a few lessons before the test to iron out any bad habits should do.

Liked by: <BM>, eirebus, sprinter

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2022  ·  #16
C1 it is then. I'll sort out the learner permit and give Dessie a call.

Liked by: eirebus

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2022  ·  #17
Quote by <BM>

God idea because there are medical implications in the other one, also. And a Hugh amount of Sh1t.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2022  ·  #18
Quote by sprinter

Quote by <BM>

God idea because there are medical implications in the other one, also. And a Hugh amount of Sh1t.

For the C1 the medical is required too. Last year, being otherwise healthy, my medical consisted of an eye test and a check that I could look over my shoulders.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2022  ·  #19
Quote by <BM>

Well my ambition has finally overcome my inertia, it took me from March until August to get off my ass and go to the GP to sign the medical form for the Learners Permit.

I did one lesson in September once the Learners Permit arrived. They advised me to go ahead and book the test and do a couple of lessons in the week before the test to fully prep. So I did my second session on Saturday and an hour pre test today and passed.

Philip and Dessie at KDA were great at helping me iron out all the little bad habits, I'd definitely recommend them if anyone is looking to prep and do a C1 test in the South Dublin / Kildare area.

Edit... Just realised the Medical Report done for the Learners Permit is still a few days less than the 3 months validity period so no need to do another one :)

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2022  ·  #20
Well done Bryan, I'm sure you realise now, that there is very little difference between driving a motorhome and a truck, and you will have had great training, does this mean you will be moving up to a more spacious van? 🤔😊

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2022  ·  #21
Congratulations Bryan, my med cert was only valid for a month but that was for renewal,yours might be different

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2022  ·  #22
Cheers Martin,

I'll most likely just be looking to get the current van uprated to 3850kg which was a no cost factory option so I'm guessing it should be straight forward.

We're pretty much at the limit, length wise, for the size of van we can park on the drive. I have however identified a different layout which might work better as the 3 lads are getting older but it's a bit of a unicorn.

Liked by: sprinter

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2022  ·  #23
Quote by eirebus

Congratulations Bryan, my med cert was only valid for a month but that was for renewal,yours might be different

It says 3 months on the form

Liked by: eirebus

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.