panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

Importing Brand New Motorhome

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #1
Thinking of getting a new camper. Is it worthwhile importing from mainland Europe and if so, how do the vrt calculations work? This all new to us so hopefully someone who has been through this process will have the answers....thanks

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #2
Haven't done it but , I'd say you will pay the 13.5% of the going price here. and presumably when you add that to what you pay for it abroad is whether you will have had a good deal.

Problems will be if you want warranty work done ,the argent you did not buy from although he may have to do the work,won't be particularly interested.
Would you be?

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

Re: Importing Brand New Motorhome

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #3
From what I have seen, the ROI list price seems to be quite a bit higher than the U.K. list price plus 13.5% VRT. The VAT rates are slightly different as well but is there something else that gets added?

I have been having a look at European prices. The nett price in Germany and Belgium seems to be up to about 20% below the U.K. nett price (without VAT) however the specs will be different.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #4
Quote by sprinter

Problems will be if you want warranty work done ,the argent you did not buy from although he may have to do the work,won't be particularly interested.
Would you be?

Fair point Martin....Definitely something to take into account.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #5
Quote by kabundi

From what I have seen, the ROI list price seems to be quite a bit higher than the U.K. list price plus 13.5% VRT. The VAT rates are slightly different as well but is there something else that gets added?

I have been having a look at European prices. The nett price in Germany and Belgium seems to be up to about 20% below the U.K. nett price (without VAT) however the specs will be different.

My brain starts to hurt looking at all the variables in prices and specs from one country to another...

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #6
Looked at one particular German built model with what seems to be very similar spec

Prices before VAT and VRT

Germany €53773

U.K. €59195 at €1.11 = £1

ROI €61707

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #7
Quote by panda

Quote by kabundi

My brain starts to hurt looking at all the variables in prices and specs from one country to another...

It is even worse when your pocket starts to hurt 😂

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #8
On a brand new van you will need to get it ex VAT because you will be liable for VAT here too on the invoice price plus any shipping costs.

To show the absolute swindle that VRT is, it's calculated as 13.3% of the VAT and VRT inclusive price on a new MoHo. To illustrate this, say your landed cost is €50k, you then add 23% vat bringing you to €61,500. It's not simply a case of compounding another 13.3% here because the 13.3% is based on the total tax inclusive figure X where

€61,500 + 13.3%X = X

So €61,500 = X - 0.133X = 0.867X

Then X = €61,500/0.867 = €70,934.26

So finally you can calculate the VRT as 13% of €70,934.26 which is €8,015.57

You can simplify this as compounding at a rate of 13.3% ÷ (100% - 13.3%) = 15.34% but the powers that be want to keep it needlessly complicated and pretend the rates are that little bit lower than they effectively are. No prizes for guessing the minister for finance who introduced VRT, the most cunning and devious of them all

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #9
No you will be thrown off this site it you stain the character of Saint BBBBBBBBBBBBBBEEEERRRRRTTTYIIIIEEEE.
THE BBBBBOOOOLLLLOOOOIIIIXXX

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #10
Quote by <BM>

On a brand new van you will need to get it ex VAT because you will be liable for VAT here too on the invoice price plus any shipping costs.

To show the absolute swindle that VRT is, it's calculated as 13.3% of the VAT and VRT inclusive price on a new MoHo. To illustrate this, say your landed cost is €50k, you then add 23% vat bringing you to €61,500. It's not simply a case of compounding another 13.3% here because the 13.3% is based on the total tax inclusive figure X where

€61,500 + 13.3%X = X

You can simplify this as compounding at a rate of 13.3% ÷ (100% - 13%) = 15.34% but the powers that be want to keep it needlessly complicated and pretend the rates are that little bit lower than they effectively are. No prizes for guessing the minister for finance who introduced VRT, the most cunning and devious of them all

Holy f#%k
I have a headache
My hat is off to you to understand all that.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #11
It's designed to be a confusing.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2019  ·  #12
It works 🤔

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2019  ·  #13
Quote by Daffysparks

Quote by <BM>

€61,500 + 13.3%X = X

You can simplify this as compounding at a rate of 13.3% ÷ (100% - 13%) = 15.34% but the powers that be want to keep it needlessly complicated and pretend the rates are that little bit lower than they effectively are. No prizes for guessing the minister for finance who introduced VRT, the most cunning and devious of them all

Holy f#%k
I have a headache
My hat is off to you to understand all that.

It certainly is very complicated.

I got thinking of a new one due to the fact second hand campers are crazy money, seen 12 year old campers on various Irish sites tipping the 40k mark o.O ....Better off going the new route if possible. I may start another thread on driving a new camper on foreign EU plates...We have a couple of places we could do that from..

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2019  ·  #14
John I don’t know your circumstances at all but can you take a sabbatical or gap year, I see you are the same age as me.
If you buy a new van and you and the van are out of Ireland for 6 or more months and you do at least 6000km you can import it with no vrt fee but you won’t be able to sell it for at least a year after importing it or you will then be liable for the vrt.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2019  ·  #15
Quote by Daffysparks

It works 🤔

It does indeed!

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2019  ·  #16
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

John I don’t know your circumstances at all but can you take a sabbatical or gap year, I see you are the same age as me.
If you buy a new van and you and the van are out of Ireland for 6 or more months and you do at least 6000km you can import it with no vrt fee but you won’t be able to sell it for at least a year after importing it or you will then be liable for the vrt.

Where does it be registered?

I'd have no bother putting 6000 miles on it for John if he couldn't take six months off.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2019  ·  #17

Great info Jamie....I didn't know that :up:

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2019  ·  #18
Quote by Ally

I'd have no bother putting 6000 miles on it for John if he couldn't take six months off.

Very kind of you Ally.....I would have no money left to repay your kindness.....Would 6 months free beer suffice??? :D

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2019  ·  #19
Quote by panda

Quote by Ally

Very kind of you Ally.....I would have no money left to repay your kindness.....Would 6 months free beer suffice??? :D

I think you missed the bit about YOU and the van have to be out of country for the six months.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2019  ·  #20
Quote by panda

FOC, you pay for the fuel, I get free use of your brand new motorhome, sounds like a WIN WIN all round 😁

Can we get a say in what model you pick? 😂

All joking aside, if it needs registered here or I can help, just let me know.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2019  ·  #21
Quote by Ally

Quote by panda

FOC, you pay for the fuel, I get free use of your brand new motorhome, sounds like a WIN WIN all round 😁

Can we get a say in what model you pick? 😂

All joking aside, if it needs registered here or I can help, just let me know.

Very kind of you Ally :up:

Isn't it a pity our robbing shower of a government impose this VRT bullshit......The motor industry here would take off like a rocket if the VRT was abolished, I'm all for spending locally etc but cant abide being ripped off and then being bent over just for good measure.....Sorry...rant over

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2019  ·  #22
davetherave
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2019  ·  #23
If you were to live abroad for six months in your new motorhome it would be pretty hard to provide evidence. Maybe food or diesel receipts?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2019  ·  #24
Quote by davetherave

If you were to live abroad for six months in your new motorhome it would be pretty hard to provide evidence. Maybe food or diesel receipts?

That's the easy bit.
Getting the foreign registration, insurance, etc is the hard bit.
A mate of mine imported a 2 years old mh about 10 years ago. He had to get the mileage "clocked" upwards to get exempted from vrt.

davetherave
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2019  ·  #25
Just wondering how do travelers get motor insurance, road tax, dole and other state benefits with no fixed abode?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2019  ·  #26
😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2019  ·  #27
Quote by davetherave

Just wondering how do travelers get motor insurance, road tax, dole and other state benefits with no fixed abode?

One law for us and another law for the others.😤

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.06.2019  ·  #28
Quote by davetherave

Ah come on, you surely know that they get it anywhere and everywhere the like and as often as many times, that the have the brass neck to do so. :o

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.