Craic'er
My Motorhome: Lakia Kreos
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

Dogs Again

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #1
Hello All
On the topic of dogs we have decided to take our wee dog with us this year. For so many reasons we were not able to book our holiday before this. We normally travel to France late August for around six to seven weeks. We don't seem to be able to get our wee dog booked in. We can get her one way but then no return !!. We were thinking of traveling through England and going on from there and booking the return trip on the ferry maybe in October. here is the question: if we travel through The UK does our Irish dog passport meet the criteria to travel from England to France. She has had her rabies shot and we would get the rest done before we leave home in Co.Donegal but would that cover us then to travel on to France from the UK ?? We would be within the time frame we hope but would we need to go to another vet in England? Brittany ferries are a bit beyond us in price. It a long way down to Cork too!!! Any help or advice would be appreciated! Going through England would be an extra adventure for us too!
On the basis of this forum we will take a wee look back at Stenna !

Una

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Dogs Again

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #2
Dog would be covered as it's the same rules to Europe for both countries
We use Stena from Rosslare to France and leave the dogs in the van

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #3
Like eirebus we too travel Rosslare/Cherbourg with Stena and use kennels now that we have two dogs, but we have also left the dog in the van too when we only had one. Last time we used Brittany from Cork and had pet friendly cabins.
Can’t comment on the route via the UK as we’ve not used it.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Dogs Again

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #4
Quote by JJF

Like eirebus we too travel Rosslare/Cherbourg with Stena and use kennels now that we have two dogs, but we have also left the dog in the van too when we only had one. Last time we used Brittany from Cork and had pet friendly cabins.

When you leave the dog in your van are you able to visit take it for a walk etc, do you have to park anywhere specific?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #5
Martin, when you check in they know if you have pets. On the crossings we’ve been on there seems to be two decks as you’re asked what deck your van is on before being accompanied down to the deck.
We now prefer the kennels on deck 4 on the horizon, quieter than the deck 5 One’s and you can visit your dogs as often as you want. You need to ask the deckhand/staff for the deck 4 kennels.

Quote by sprinter

Quote by JJF

When you leave the dog in your van are you able to visit take it for a walk etc, do you have to park anywhere specific?

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #6
Quote by altnanean

Hello All
On the topic of dogs we have decided to take our wee dog with us this year. For so many reasons we were not able to book our holiday before this. We normally travel to France late August for around six to seven weeks. We don't seem to be able to get our wee dog booked in. We can get her one way but then no return !!. We were thinking of traveling through England and going on from there and booking the return trip on the ferry maybe in October. here is the question: if we travel through The UK does our Irish dog passport meet the criteria to travel from England to France. She has had her rabies shot and we would get the rest done before we leave home in Co.Donegal but would that cover us then to travel on to France from the UK ?? We would be within the time frame we hope but would we need to go to another vet in England? Brittany ferries are a bit beyond us in price. It a long way down to Cork too!!! Any help or advice would be appreciated! Going through England would be an extra adventure for us too!
On the basis of this forum we will take a wee look back at Stenna !

Una

Technically you do need to do anything with your dog to travel from the UK to France as it’s all about the trip back from mainland Europe to the uk or Ireland. That said you will need to get pet passport and rabies stuff done before you leave. Then before you return you’ll need to take your dog to a vet so they can administer a worming pill and sign and stamp your pet passport this needs to be done at least 24 hrs before you arrive back and not more than 5 days before you arrive back. We take our own approved worming pills and get the vet to give it to the dog.

altnanean
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #7
Una
[/quote]
Technically you do need to do anything with your dog to travel from the UK to France as it’s all about the trip back from mainland Europe to the uk or Ireland. That said you will need to get pet passport and rabies stuff done before you leave. Then before you return you’ll need to take your dog to a vet so they can administer a worming pill and sign and stamp your pet passport this needs to be done at least 24 hrs before you arrive back and not more than 5 days before you arrive back. We take our own approved worming pills and get the vet to give it to the dog.
[/quote]
Thanks for the advice

What are the name of the approved worming pills ??? @Strand Camping

altnanean
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #8
Can I ask what do you mean by *the Horizon* @JJF

"Martin, when you check in they know if you have pets. On the crossings we’ve been on there seems to be two decks as you’re asked what deck your van is on before being accompanied down to the deck.
We now prefer the kennels on deck 4 on the horizon, quieter than the deck 5 One’s and you can visit your dogs as often as you want. You need to ask the deckhand/staff for the deck 4 kennels."

First time we ever took our dog feeling a bit apprehensive to be honest !

Thanks All
Una

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #9
Don’t be apprehensive Una, it’s quite simple really.
I refer to the “Stena Horizon” ...... it’s the ships name.

Take your dog along, take the dog bed and blanket, a litre of fresh water and food for the dog, the feeding bowls and a lead for walking and you’re good to go.
We were initially apprehensive too but it’s no big deal, in fact the dogs look at it as an adventure now....

Enjoy your trip.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2019  ·  #10
What are the name of the approved worming pills ??? @Strand Camping

Sorry I have not got my pet passport to hand. Your vet should know which worming pills are approved.

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #11
We used the boat before Stena took over. The catch on the kennel door was very tight and I skinned my fingers. Some years on it may be better or worse! I'd take a pair of gloves with me.

lookaround
Craic'er
Subject:

Pet passport and Brexit

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #12
I think there seems to be some confusion relating to what happens after Brexit - especially if it’s a no deal Brexit. You could eliminate any issues by going direct from Ireland to France. I usually travel from Cork on Brittany Ferries and the kennels are great with unlimited access. Of course this is dependent on they fixing the issues with the Pont Aven.

This is a link to the UK government site stating the uncertainty regarding pet travel/passports
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pe…ter-brexit

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #13
Is a passport required for dogs to travel Southern Ireland to Europe. Or is it just UK/NI dogs that require one

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #14
Is a passport required for dogs to travel Southern Ireland to Europe.

Yes, same as UK

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2019  ·  #15
The islands of Britain and Ireland are a common travel area for dogs as well as people.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2019  ·  #16
Quote by JonMac46

The islands of Britain and Ireland are a common travel area for dogs as well as people.

@JonMac46 This is interesting. Always thought I needed a passport. Can you point us to the legislation. I would prefer a copy, just in case we are challenged.

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #17
Oops! Looks like I am out of date. But:
1. "If you’re crossing from Great Britain to Northern Ireland, like we were, there is no requirement to have a pet passport or anything for your pet. This crossing is the same as crossing the land borders between England, Wales and Scotland." From this link: https://travelnuity.com/dog-fr…d-ireland/
2. Dogs can freely travel all over the island of Ireland! With or without their humans present!
3. Both my brother and I have taken our dogs to and fro across the Irish Sea and never been asked for a pet passport; maybe lucky.
4. Worming seems to not be required between Republic and Britain .
5. As both islands are rabies-free, the "new" regulations appear to be unnecessarily legalistic.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #18
That was the way I see it too Jon. I used to travel across and back weekly from Belfast to UK in a lorry and always with my Jack Russell with me, never had a passport until we travelled to Europe in the motorhome...... May have changed now, I don’t know as I’ve not crossed in years.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2019  ·  #19
Speaking of pet passports. I was researching what we'll need to bring our new puppy to the continent later in the year, and found that the cost of a pet passport is £200. Is this the going rate?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Dogs Again

· 
Posted: 15.07.2019  ·  #20
Not down here.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2019  ·  #21
Quote by Helgahobby

Speaking of pet passports. I was researching what we'll need to bring our new puppy to the continent later in the year, and found that the cost of a pet passport is £200. Is this the going rate?

Our newest dog I think was €65 plus the rabies shot and the regular inoculations... maybe €150 all in, inc vets time etc. Southern Ireland euro prices Nick.... I can give you our vets details if required, may be worth having an Irish doggy passport with forthcoming happenings !

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2019  ·  #22
GREAT JOHN, I'LL KEEP THAT IN MIND..
Oops, didn't realise caps lock was on, the puppy is 'helping' me......

Quote by JJF

Quote by Helgahobby

Our newest dog I think was €65 plus the rabies shot and the regular inoculations... maybe €150 all in, inc vets time etc. Southern Ireland euro prices Nick.... I can give you our vets details if required, may be worth having an Irish doggy passport with forthcoming happenings !

adria
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2019  ·  #23
Any photos Nick of the new puppy......😀

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2019  ·  #24
We just got a pet passport for our pup earlier this year. I think it was around £200 for the passport, rabies vaccination and blood test. We enquired about an Irish pet passport , but we're told we needed an address in ROI, but unsure how that could affect his insurance.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2019  ·  #25
Hi Alfy, you'll meet him next week....

Quote by adria

Any photos Nick of the new puppy......😀

adria
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2019  ·  #26
Looking forward to it Nick...he looks great....what's his name....

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #27
His name is Toby, he is a showman,
Wants to go to Wexford, just as soon as he can.
To see his new uncles and aunties,
Look up their frocks, and, lets not go there.

Quote by adria

Looking forward to it Nick...he looks great....what's his name....

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #28
Regarding the pet passport. We already have him registered at a local vet in Lurgan. They tell me its around £80 plus the chip and another couple of things.

adria
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #29
👍👍👍.....next week .

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #30
Well our little pooch had managed to polish off at least half a 100g bar of dark chocolate this morning - 85% cocoa. So I had tried a few online calculators that take in the dogs weight, how much chocolate and the kind of chocolate ( dark chocolate being a lot worse than milk chocolate), and tell you the expected level of toxicity to you dog. They all returned ‘severe’. So it was down to the vets to get her seen to. They gave her an injection to induce vomiting. It came on quick and it was apparent it was all in her stomach still. I took the day off to keep an eye on her.

Lesson learned. We’ll be careful not to leave chocolate on the coffee table in future. Lesson to all, especially with 85% dark chocolate.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #31
Expensive lesson but hopefully the dog will be OK

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #32
Glad you caught that in time. Could have been serious.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #33
Yeah it could have been serious. She did get hold of a bit of milk chocolate Easter egg once . I ran the numbers and figured “Ah sure, she’ll be grand”. At most she might have shown some modest symptoms. But this time we were in to toxic territory. And it would be so easy to overlook it and think she’s fine, but you just never know.

altnanean
Craic'er
Subject:

Reasons for raisins

· 
Posted: 17.07.2019  ·  #34
Gang
Following on the chocolate theme our wee dog Ellie ate an unknown amount of raisins and was in a dreadful state/ Had to be kept in and all that stuff!!: They are not sure of the level of toxicity of raisins , sultanas or currants but not good. We thought we had lost her but all is well so be careful with the grapes etc too. some dogs can eat a few but others it is lethal

Una

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.