Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: inflating tyres

· 
Posted: 07.05.2019  ·  #3
It gives a range ‘up to’ 80psi
So, in theory it can inflate to above our required pressures.
I do think however that it will find it difficult at the upper figures of 60/70 psi.
Would be good enough to inflate a tyre to get you to a garage to inflate it properly.
Also, if buying it I suggest you get an accurate standalone quality digital inflation gauge as the one on the unit itself may be inaccurate.

Mozzie
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2019  ·  #4
Ah ok, I'll leave it so. Thanks for the feedback.
Would like something in the van for exactly that, getting to a garage to get it checked out properly.
Will research a bit more. Cheers guys

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2019  ·  #5
That pump will hit 80psi in a bike tyre but it won't have the flowrate to do the same for a van tyre. It would overheat and burn out the motor before the job was finished.

You might get away with it pumping it a little at a time or treating it as a single use device but it's just not the right tool for the job.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2019  ·  #6
I’ve had a couple of the cheaper type of compressor over the years. They are fine for cars but really struggle with a Motorhome, generally only being able to get to around 50psi. They then continue to operate but don’t seem to put any air into the tyre. They also get extremely hot. Both of the units I’ve had eventually failed when trying to pump up Motorhome tyres.

I’ve just bought a Ring RAC900 which has to connected direct to the battery as it is too powerful to use the cigarette lighter socket. It is used by AA/RAC in their roadside vehicles. Cost about £80 on internet. About £100 in Halfords.

Only used it a few times but it certainly works well and no problem in reaching 80psi in a few minutes. It makes very little noise compared to the cheaper units and doesn’t sound like it is under stress. I connect it to the jump start terminals below the bonnet on an X250 Fiat. It has a long curly hose which stretches, so no issues in reaching the rear wheels of even a long tag axle. The gauge on it is accurate. Keep pump running till the gauge shows about 3psi above what you want. When the hose is disconnected the pressure will be close to your desired.

Only slight downside is that ON/OFF switch is on actual pump so you need to take a few steps back to the pump to turn it off before disconnecting hose. It weights about 3.5kg and comes in a nice carry bag.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2019  ·  #7
I have one of those Aldi compressors and it is slow and noisy.

Its a better flashlight than it is an air pump...

Funny enough I was only looking at RAC700 & 900 pumps over the weekend on t'internet. They have some good reviews.

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2019  ·  #8
https://www.halfords.com/webap…reId=10001

I have one of these. Reasonably quick to get to 80 psi, but it’s hard work for it and they only last a year or so. It’s allegedly rated to 120psi.

Benefits- works off it’s own battery without need of mains during operation. Very light. Cheap.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

inflating tyres

· 
Posted: 07.05.2019  ·  #9
You Guy's with the air suspension have you a tyre inflation hose attached or would the compressor be also too small.

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2019  ·  #10
Quote by sprinter

You Guy's with the air suspension have you a tyre inflation hose attached or would the compressor be also too small.

The same compressor does my air suspension too, no built-in compressor.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2019  ·  #11
Quote by sprinter

My air suspension only needs around 2 bar and a very small volume so a cheapo compressor will be adequate.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2019  ·  #12
My compressor does up to 7.5 bar, but I wouldn’t think it would be powerful enough to pump the tyres. Also it is permanently connected in pipe wise, with non return valves etc. I have an old Michelin compressor that can bring the tyres up to 65- 70 psi. Plenty to get you to a garage, IMO

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2019  ·  #13
I always carry one of those cans that seal and inflate but also have a compressor that was in my Skoda Superb. I used it once and was impressed by the power. I stuck the cheapo compressor i had in the Skoda.

BigMal
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hobby 750
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2019  ·  #14
Yea I had one of those which worked great for my car tyres up to 35psi. Tried it on the van (which needed 55) and burnt the motor out in 30 secs.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

inflating tyres

· 
Posted: 08.05.2019  ·  #15
I have one in the car always and use it quite often, it had a cigarette plug but I changed it to crocodile clips because they draw too much power on a round tip connections which can get very hot. l would recommend checking the tip carefully after using anything like cool box's etc, with a cigarette plug in.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2019  ·  #16
essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #17
On the subject, what about a tyre plugger kit?

I have this one for the bike but not entirely sure would it do for the van
STOP 'N GO DELUXE TYRE PLUGGER KIT https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003VE41OS/

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #18
I have plugger motorcycle tyres in the past without any problems but wonder would it be safe on a MH considering the high pressures

joberg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 696f
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #19
Got a puncture in our tiguan a while back while away. Took to a tyre centre nearby who used a plug to repair it. Drove off happy but over the next few weeks I kept having to pump it up. Eventually I took it to my own tyre centre, he said that those plugs are only suitable for cars. Anything heavier like suvs, jeeps or bigger need to have a patch placed inside the tyre. Otherwise they'll continue to leak albeit very sliwly

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2019  ·  #20
I bought the RAC900 during the week (£80 from Amazon) and impressed with it. So much quieter than the pump I carry on the motorbike. Feels fairly bullet proof and expect it will do years. My next job is to hack together some sort of connector so I can use it to pump up my Vango Hexaway inflatable awning.

Only niggle as mentioned above is the switch on the pump itself which can be 7m away from the tyre you are filling. I gave the 9 year old the switch on/off duties though and told her it was a very important job.

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2019  ·  #21
Quote by joberg

Got a puncture in our tiguan a while back while away. Took to a tyre centre nearby who used a plug to repair it. Drove off happy but over the next few weeks I kept having to pump it up. Eventually I took it to my own tyre centre, he said that those plugs are only suitable for cars. Anything heavier like suvs, jeeps or bigger need to have a patch placed inside the tyre. Otherwise they'll continue to leak albeit very sliwly

In my book that's fine. If I got a roadside puncture I'd be happy to plug and limp to the nearest garage or to just do me a weekend.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2019  ·  #22
Quote by essjay

I bought the RAC900 during the week My next job is to hack together some sort of connector so I can use it to pump up my Vango Hexaway inflatable awning.

I have a feeling it would be very slow blowing up an awning should you decide to.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.