eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: ACSI CLUB ID

· 
Posted: 20.05.2019  ·  #2
I don't think so but there is some sort of insurance added, acsi card does for ID

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2019  ·  #3
ah, i know who i am :happy:
Ill just stick with the card :up:

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

ACSI CLUB ID

· 
Posted: 20.05.2019  ·  #4
Quote by ROBANDSUE

Is there any advantage to having an ACSI club ID

When you check in or book in to a site it replaces the need to produced a passport and fill out entrance forms its all on the club card. its also for ever so long ad you renew your yearly sub.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2019  ·  #5
Some parts of Europe require that you surrender your passport until the clerk has recorded all of your details.
I believe that the ACSI Card substitutes your passport.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2019  ·  #6
The reasons as stated is why I got the ID card. Many sites insist on getting your passport even with the ID card. I’ve had discussions with receptionists arguing the point of the ACSI ID card without success. Some campsites (ACSI ones) have a policy on having the passport regardless so I won’t renew it again when it comes around.

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2019  ·  #7
Rob we also have the ACSI app combined subscription with the CC discount books. I think I can check up on sites, read reviews etc without the WiFi.
The books were my light reading between places.
As mentioned earlier the ID info has all your details, address etc, checking in is quicker rather than spelling out every word.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2019  ·  #8
I checked into a French site yesterday Rob with my ACSI ID. They asked how long for,I said I’m not sure. They said we can keep your ID (ASCI) until you decide to check out. That suits us and we get to keep our passports.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2019  ·  #9
Same here yesterday, was using Aires up to that

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2019  ·  #10
Is there a problem handing over a passport? I never felt it was a big deal to be honest. Probably safer in a campsite safe than in your motorhome

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2019  ·  #11
Quote by ROBANDSUE

Is there a problem handing over a passport? I never felt it was a big deal to be honest. Probably safer in a campsite safe than in your motorhome

I was thinking the same myself. I've always been happier to leave our passports at the reception for the duration of our stay as long as they've shown me the sturdiness of their safe.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2019  ·  #12
Ditto. Don’t see any problem with that either 🤔

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2019  ·  #13
Your passport is YOUR property and it is an official government document identifying who you are and where you`re from. You should NEVER hand it over to anyone (except border officials and police for inspection).
When checking into a campsite or hotel allow them to make a photocopy if necessary but you should not leave your passport in their possession.
If it 'goes missing' you will soon find out that they will take no responsibility for compensating you for the difficulties which will arise.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2019  ·  #14
I'd second what baguette said, " NEVER hand it over to anyone (except border officials and police for inspection)". Hotels and campsites and other businesses are not entitled to hang on to the passport, they may make a photocopy of it but must return it to you. It's actually the property of The Minister of Foreign Affairs and he can demand that you surrender it at any time.

wanderingaimlessly
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Nissan Interstar
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2019  ·  #15
We are back into France tomorrow after a stint in France, few days in Spain and a few in Andorra....only 1 campsite we visited used the acsi id for check in....everywhere else took copies or scanned passports. None kept our passports. This may change as the season gets busier but then the acsi is no good. The small reductions in price have paid for the card and app itself but it only caters for 2 adults....they still charge for the kids...and as someone else stated, the app is good if you dont have wifi and the book keeps the missus quiet while I'm driving....

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #16
I dont worry too much about "its your property, never hand it over" etc. Its safer in a safe than in a motorhome or on your person. I have never heard of anyone having their passport lost when they have given in at hotels, sites etc.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #17
So let’s say you check in to a Dublin hotel, and they ask you for your passport. First of all you likely won’t have it if you are Irish. But if you did, and they wanted to keep it until you checked out. Would you be happy with that?

I spent a couple of summers camping and working in Europe. And as a backpacker in Australia. When a campsite owner held on to my passport, I saw that for what it was. A sign to not misbehave or not to not pay your rent. A form of power. Something I would be less willing to put up with as an adult. The argument about where your passport is safer, let’s put that aside for the moment. This is about power. Why put up with it?

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #18
"So let’s say you check in to a Dublin hotel, and they ask you for your passport. First of all you likely won’t have it if you are Irish. But if you did, and they wanted to keep it until you checked out. Would you be happy with that? "
Wouldnt bother me in the slightest. Why are people so hung up about handing a passport in? I just dont get it.
I think people are getting more paranoid.
"The argument about where your passport is safer, let’s put that aside for the moment. This is about power. Why put up with it?"
Power to do what?? Because someone has your passport dosent give them a hold over you.
"And as a backpacker in Australia. When a campsite owner held on to my passport, I saw that for what it was. A sign to not misbehave or not to not pay your rent. A form of power"
That could also be viewed as someone protecting their income and investment from the likes of the people that stay in Dicks field for instance, and leave without paying. My response to that would be its better to be safe than sorry.
Let me ask you a question.
If it became mandatory that every hotel, b&b and campsite held onto their guests passports till they leave, would you stop travelling?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2019  ·  #19
Each to their own, I guess. But someone holds on to my passport most certainly means they hold a power over me.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.