Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Across the water

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #1
On 21 May we will be on WB Yeats, home on 19 June
Anyone else going soon?
Any new comments on WB Yeats
Everyone asks where will we go, I say depends on weather.
Generally go down west coast, furthest has been Bordeaux go inland and back up. (Had a Mh since late 2011)
I want nice campsite, warm pool as limited mobility and Nigel likes walking and cycling.
Anyone ever just stay in Brittany?
We have our ACSI 2019.
I must renew Campercontact.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Across the water

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #2
Have a good one folks, we’re not off till later on in the year.
Post us up a good report on the WB Yates as info is sparse on it.
We’ve holidayed in Normandy/Brittany and part of the Loire and loved it. Some really beautiful places.
Campercontact and p4n is your friend and the ACSI will still be valid then. Maybe you don’t want to travel too far south but the Ile de Ré is really nice. Great for cycling and is very pretty and has a few ACSI sites there, even the coast north of it is a nice trip on the way back to Cherbourg. You’ll also be in the area of Normandy for the 75th D-day commemorations aswell.

Enjoy and keep us updated on your trip.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #3
Heading in Sept Rosemary, so any tips when you and Nigel get back will be appreciated.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Across the water

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #4
We mostly use France Passion and Aires but a couple we have used, If you are in the area of Nantes, Nantes camping is good small cafe/bar on site, tram right outside the gate for doing into the city, concessions for the sport/pool complex across the roads.
Camping Ar Kleguer. Saint-Pol-de-Léon, by the seafront.

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #5
We have been to Ile de Re a few times, we like Les Varennes as recommended by Davy (was Team Rianza) first time we travelled in this MH.
Near Roscoff should be quieter and friends loved Ar Kleguer. We always say as hurrying back to Riscoff we should spend more time in Brittany.
I got the free trial download of Campercontact last year, found it good. I have been meaning to buy it this year, hopefully I can through ipad, as want it on the App.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #6
Rosemary, check out the Pink granite coast area, beautiful scenery. I like Dinard. You can get a day trip to Jersey from St Malo, the last time we were there we took the scooter over and rode around the island

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #7
we have 10 days in September the general intention is to drive down The Loire and follow it to the coast and wind our way back around to Cherbourg, that is unless we hit a very sunny spot

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #8
We are heading 4 weeks today and I haven’t a feckin clue where we are going. It will all depend on the sun. Wherever that is, we shall follow

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #9
We're going this Thursday and I still don't know where we're going, probably the Dordogne, Toulouse and back up the coast depends on the weather too

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #10
If you have a look at my blogs , Went down the centre to Bordeaux then across to Rocamador and then back up last year,2017 Holland,Germany and Belgium and 2016 Normandy Brittany and then down as far as La Rochelle before coming across to Luxembourg. If you click on the pics in the blog it will open more pics.
https://travelblogs.club/author/rebbyvid/

http://www.rebbyvid.co.uk/

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #11
The W B Yeats is ‘ok’. We travelled out on 16th April. On arriving at Dublin port, the access was very busy with last calls for the Holyhead boat. We were early. The 2 hours that they recommend. Directed into the holding compound which was already well filled. For the next hour or so vehicles were backed up through the Irish Ferry gates onto the approach road. This on an off season crossing. I assume they will address what looks to be a problem with parking. I asked for electric and was told it now had to be prebooked. I did not see any evidence of hookups on the section of deck we were on. We were amongst the last type of vehicle (as far as I could see) loaded. Up a steep ramp to a higher deck, so take your time and wait or else you will have lots of hill starts with undue use of clutch.
When loading we drove from the stern loading point? All the way along the car deck with a U turn at the far end and half way back along the opposite side before being parked. I got the impression that the lanes were a tiny bit wider but could be wishful thinking.
The boat.
Cabins are pretty much the same as the Oscar, just fresher with the joy of a TV with about 6 channels of poor entertainment. I did not attempt to tune it.
We don’t do bars, so will have to pass on them. The fancy restaurant seems to offer the usual choices but no experience of it either. The common people’s eating area is in my view poor. Same cafeteria style with self service etc. You then carry your tray into the general seating area where there are tables, so not the feel of an eating area as all and sundry can be sitting there or walking past aimlessly and I reckon the table clearing will be an issue. The shop seems smaller with a poor streamlining of customers. Less space in the aisles and not proper system of regulating the queue at the till.
Deck access seems more limited with seating on one side only.
All in all a fairly mediocre boat. Perhaps they will improve aspects of their service, but I won’t hold my breath.
We will continue to use them probably because we tend to watch our departure and arrival on deck. Visit the shop for discounted cosmetics and retire to our cabin with picnic meal and breakfast. It continues to be a cheaper option for us than Stena, and I am not a fan of those small boats with semi open vehicle decks. I didn’t notice any WiFi in the cabins which in 2019 is pretty poor. On the deck where it can be accessed it is still pretty abysmal.
So there ya go. The discussion is now open for all those Irish Ferry haters and those who live south of Dublin. Having said that I enjoyed the drive down from Co Down to Rosslare watching the road gradually improve and I will miss Roscoff which I preferred over Cherbourg.

Davy

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #12
Davy

Can you boil a kettle in the cabin. If so what type socket is it. UK 13amp 3pin or the round French type two pin

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #13
Thanks for the review I think it's the first

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #14
Didn’t realise it was that time again. Need to get the notepad out and start a wish list of where to go in September this year. So plenty of recommendation please @R&N

PS Uncle has just returned from a trip on OW. Only comment was that the food was terrible.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.05.2019  ·  #15
@Davy
Is the ramp really that steep?
And the u turn, I take it theres plenty of room?

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.05.2019  ·  #16
Yes it is pretty steep. I should say about 1 in 4, I certainly looked at it and waited until the steep section was clear. At the top it turns 90 degrees left with a further flat section before embarking, so easy to judge when to go at it.

There was plenty of space for the turn at the end of the deck, so no problem. It did strike me as odd that ROROs where built with only one loading ramp, but to be fair I was busy driving and didn’t get a good look.

I will be returning on 28th so I will post with any changes or further observations..

Davy

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.