Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

Inflatable Awning.

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #1
Anyone use an inflatable awning?
Im looking at some at the moment, and compared to the normal awning they look a bit pricey. Would you have a preference when it came to either?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Inflatable Awning.

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #2
We have a normal poles drive away awning as we don't use it enough to justify the cost of an inflatable

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #3
thats what i,m afraid of Dave. I also dont want to spend an hour assembling one either. Or is it easier than i am assuming?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #4
Not easy to use in the wind, putting it up or taking it down

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #5
I've had a couple , the first was a Vango Galli , never actually got around to using it in anger, when I tried putting it up at home I found it was very heavy to lift in and out of the motorhome garage, other younger motorhomers would probably have no problem with the weight. But when it was erected it really looked too big for the majority of pitches we have been on. I sold it on here last year, the guy who bought it traded in his old awning that had fibre glass poles. This was a better size and we used it a lot for a trip to France last Summer. Weight was good , because the poles etc. were separate from the main awning, so I could lift out the individual pieces. The size was good , no problem with pitches. The draw back with it was I couldn't erect by myself, and this usually ended up with a "heated discussion" on which poles go where , and "could you please hold the f*****g thing steady . I bought a Vango Jura Tall, which seems to fit our needs. Hope this helps.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #6
Quote by ColinM

I've had a couple , the first was a Vango Galli , never actually got around to using it in anger, when I tried putting it up at home I found it was very heavy to lift in and out of the motorhome garage, other younger motorhomers would probably have no problem with the weight. But when it was erected it really looked too big for the majority of pitches we have been on. I sold it on here last year, the guy who bought it traded in his old awning that had fibre glass poles. This was a better size and we used it a lot for a trip to France last Summer. Weight was good , because the poles etc. were separate from the main awning, so I could lift out the individual pieces. The size was good , no problem with pitches. The draw back with it was I couldn't erect by myself, and this usually ended up with a "heated discussion" on which poles go where , and "could you please hold the f*****g thing steady . I bought a Vango Jura Tall, which seems to fit our needs. Hope this helps.

Ive had that conversation many times Colin, never ends well for me :lol:
Never thought of the fact that it might be too big. I was thinking the bigger the better, but what you say makes sense.
Beginning to wonder if maybe i,m looking at the wrong option for when we travel to France in september.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #7
I have an Outdoor Revolution Movelite 4 which is an air awning, easy to erect etc and if I was to do things again I would have bought one of these instead of putting a Fiamma on the side of the van as I very rarely use that and have seen the consequences of what happens if you dont take it in when leaving the van for a while. The main difference to my awning to some of the others on the market is that when erected it runs along side the van rather than out at right angles. They are heavy and bulky to carry around but if you know you are going nowhere for a couple of days then they can come in handy.

When I bought mine I got it in a sale and it was similar in price to a decent quality pole awning, so search the internet and see what can be got.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #8
Cheers John, will have a peek

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #9
ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #10
Decent enough prices there John. Obviously height makes a difference, or are they all interchangeable no matter what moho you have?

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #11
I bought an Airhub Hex earlier this year following a sale link another craicer posted. I bought it for about £260 or so rather than the £400 plus I see it at a elsewhere. The Hexaway version is much more expensive and has the part that attaches to the Motorhome but I am not bothered about that bit. The Hex is very big at about 3m wide and very easy to set up and no lies involved.

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #12
If you don't intend to connect it to the motorhome, why not an inflatable tent or an easy erect tent we have used both and worked great, the reason I went for another awning was that the tents were too dark inside, not enough opening windows with flynets.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #13
Quote by gavster1

I bought an Airhub Hex earlier this year following a sale link another craicer posted. I bought it for about £260 or so rather than the £400 plus I see it at a elsewhere. The Hexaway version is much more expensive and has the part that attaches to the Motorhome but I am not bothered about that bit. The Hex is very big at about 3m wide and very easy to set up and no lies involved.

Just seen that , good idea. That might work

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #14
Quote by ColinM

If you don't intend to connect it to the motorhome, why not an inflatable tent or an easy erect tent we have used both and worked great, the reason I went for another awning was that the tents were too dark inside, not enough opening windows with flynets.

Just checked out Gavins suggestion, looks like it might solve a problem

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #15
ChrisByrne
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #16
We bought a Vango Idris Tall drive away awning a few years back from Charles Camping and use it on most trips. Great for extra space. Takes about 30 mins to erect and even quicker to take down.

We dont have one of the roll out awnings to connect it to so we just tie it on over the roof.

We had a problem with one of the tubes last year and had to replace it. Im glad we paid the extra for the Vango as spares were much easier to get hold of and not too expensive.

Here is a link to the newer model to ours: http://www.charlescamping.ie/s…-tall.html

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2019  ·  #17
Quote by ChrisByrne

We bought a Vango Idris Tall drive away awning a few years back from Charles Camping and use it on most trips. Great for extra space. Takes about 30 mins to erect and even quicker to take down.

We dont have one of the roll out awnings to connect it to so we just tie it on over the roof.

We had a problem with one of the tubes last year and had to replace it. Im glad we paid the extra for the Vango as spares were much easier to get hold of and not too expensive.

Here is a link to the newer model to ours: http://www.charlescamping.ie/s…-tall.html

thanks for that Chris, forgot about Charles camping

Ventura
My Motorhome: Autocruise
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2019  ·  #18
Saw this thread and thought I'd add my experience with our inflatable 'Outdoor Revolution Movelite' awning.
Sorry if its a bit lengthy!

We bought this awning exactly one year ago when our traditional 'pole' drive-away awning self-destructed during a storm on the Isle of Man.
The main reason we chose an inflatable awning replacement was that despite the devastation around the campsite which we were on, the air awnings and tents were the few to be seemingly untouched and uneffected by the awful gale force winds experienced over a 24 hour period. An awful lot of 'pole' tents and awnings ended up in the skip!

The 'Outdoor Revolution' awnings are very easy to inflate and take about 1.5 minutes of pumping with the supplied hand pump.
A few more minutes to peg it down and your done!
They are tho far more bulky and heavy, as previously mentioned by others, when stowed in the bag which may be an issue for some.

My main issue I had was that after around 8 uses it developed a leak in the air tube frame rail.
This resulted in the awning only staying inflated for around two hours before it collapsed in a heap.
Not good when your half way thro a 1 week holiday where the awning is essential!

The 'Outdoor Revolution' awnings come with a 'Lifetime' guarantee on the airframe which is good, but obviously of no help at all in the middle of a field when on holiday!
A temporary repair, using the supplied kit, was attempted but not successful due to the location of the leak so in the end we had to take it down and do without. Luckily on this occasion the kids weren't sleeping in it! but a great inconvenience nonetheless.

I pursued a warrantee claim for replacement with 'Outdoor Revolution' immediately on the failure occurring.
This is where it started to get very frustrating!
Their 'customer service' turned out to be appalling in the extreme with little or no response to enquiries. On the phone they only state that the enquiry should be emailed. Then the email response was that they're very busy and may take up to 3 days to respond!
Not good if you need a usable awning for another upcoming family holiday!!

Cutting a long story short, after a whole month of frustration and minimal/curt responses to enquiries, a replacement air-rail was finally received, three days before we were off in the motorhome for a lengthy trip away.
Due to my above experiences I also requested a full set of spare air rails which are now taken with us on every trip.
This being the only way to be confident of an uneffected trip/holiday in the future, should similar happen again.
For peace of mind I would recommend that anyone who may have one of these awnings, or are thinking of purchasing one, does similar.

In short, air awnings are very convenient, can withstand heavy weather relatively uneffected and are easy to erect/pack away BUT are obviously susceptible to puncture and in my case frustratingly difficult to pursue a warrantee claim for replacement.

Hope that helps.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2019  ·  #19
Comprehensive reply Ventura and helpful when making a decision. Thank you.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.