derm41
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Bailey advance 66 2
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

Give me hope....

· 
Posted: 19.04.2019  ·  #1
Easter break, first year in motorhome after 20 years of caravanning.
Salthill, really expensive, 50c for dishwashing, 3 for dog, but lovely on first day. Then he started stacking the motorhome in, driving in between other motorhome, very crowded.

Today, Westport house, prebooked for 3 days, got a nice pitch, settled in. Site started to fill up. A traveller family in a very nice motorhome next to us. About 30 mins later another van arrives and pushes into the space BETWEEN our motorhome and the next one, nose in. We were a little surprised.
We went to site manager and were told travellers had arrived and gone in through the open barrier. We suggested that if they wanted to be beside each other we would take their pitch and move but were told that they did not have a pitch, but it would be too much trouble to move them.
Told us that we could not move as they were full, then finally offered us a pitch further round the site.
We were fed up at this stage, and so said we were leaving.
The site manager gave us a full refund and was very polite, but surely they should be able to control the pitches on the site.
Thoughts?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Give me hope....

· 
Posted: 19.04.2019  ·  #2
Quote by derm41

Salthill, really expensive, 50c for dishwashing, 3 for dog, but lovely on first day. Then he started stacking the motorhome in, driving in between other motorhome, very crowded.

Today, Westport house, prebooked for 3 days, got a nice pitch, settled in. Site started to fill up. A traveller family in a very nice motorhome next to us. About 30 mins later another van arrives and pushes into the space BETWEEN our motorhome and the next one, nose in. We were a little surprised.
We went to site manager and were told travellers had arrived and gone in through the open barrier. We suggested that if they wanted to be beside each other we would take their pitch and move but were told that they did not have a pitch, but it would be too much trouble to move them.
Told us that we could not move as they were full, then finally offered us a pitch further round the site.
The site manager gave us a full refund and was very polite, but surely they should be able to control the pitches on the site.
Thoughts?

Please please please can we have a few pictures of the carry on at Salthill and other caravan and camping sites, they would be VERY useful the next time a fire officer complains about MH's being too close at a motorhome parking area.

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Elddis
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2019  ·  #3
Derm41 if you are still in Westport, suggest to head down to the harbor and see if you can get parking on the Quay.

derm41
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2019  ·  #4
Headed home to Tyrone, just gave up I suppose. Pre booked over Easter as I knew it would be busy and I like to support the campsites caravan club and camper club member, but this was poor

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2019  ·  #5
You need to get switched in to wild camping. Get the Motorhome parking app, travel Ireland, meet great people and have a ball. We are currently parked on the beach at Inch. Few campers here. Very friendly people, next door but 1 bbq going, invites over, happy days. Huge 4x4 Dutch machine further up. Looks like something from Mad Max. Very impressive

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2019  ·  #6
Quote by derm41

Headed home to Tyrone, just gave up I suppose. Pre booked over Easter as I knew it would be busy and I like to support the campsites caravan club and camper club member, but this was poor

That's a disappointment for you after starting motorhoming. You should have given the quays at Westport a try or as has been suggested use the App it has some great stopovers listed. Hope your next outing is better than this one.

derm41
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2019  ·  #7
Haven’t quite had the courage to wild camp yet, have the app, might try pubs etc as a start. Used to going to sites. Will try soon

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2019  ·  #8
Do. Put up on MHC where you are thinking of going, I’m sure anyone thinking of heading to same place at the same time, will inform you and make you feel more comfortable in a wild camping situation, or into a site. Don’t give up... go for it... what’s the worst that can happen... some young lad doing donuts outside the camper, just lift a blind and applaud. He’ll be thrilled with you.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2019  ·  #9
Quote by derm41

Haven’t quite had the courage to wild camp yet, have the app, might try pubs etc as a start. Used to going to sites. Will try soon

Get your self to a craic meet or two, and you will have the knowledge and hopefully confidence to wild it,

don't let one trip put you off,
Its what you make of it 👍🏻

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2019  ·  #10
It’s still only Friday night, get joined up to MHCC and off you go in the morning to Portstewart to the craic meet there.
Fantastic venue, great folk and a beautiful area....... don’t be put off, you’ll be made more than welcome at a craic meet, 5 years since our first meet and the folks made us as welcome as if we were there for years.
Go on, you know it makes sense.
MHCC joining details HERE and all for the price of a one nighter in Westport house.

We’re hoping to make it tomorrow yet, van being re-upholstered and not quite ready although the chap is working on it as we type at 11:35pm and hoping it’ll be ready for tomorrow.

Maybe see you there !...... drop us a PM and I’ll assist you any way we can.

scotgard
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Adria Twin
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Maxi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2019  ·  #11
Hey David, if you are still at Inch how about a few pics of the Dutch rig #5
cheers Jim Mc

derm41
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2019  ·  #12
Thanks all. Was just a bad Easter weekend really. We are heading to Scotland for 20 days in july, should be great.
So, positives. We have used the MH much more than caravan,as it is much easier to get out of our drive with it. Far faster set up on site.easy to stop for lunch, turn round etc. Great view from cab when driving.
Downsides, only one really, our Bailey is very wide (over 8ft) so tight on smaller roads, and very difficult to park in town, needs 4 spaces in a supermarket car park for instance. We always caravanned by staying for a few days in one place and driving round to explore, not as easy in our MH. We are set up for wild camping, 2 batteries and solar panel, so that is the next step. I think we need to make the journey between sites the adventure.
But thanks for supportive messages, we are not giving up yet!

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2019  ·  #13
Quote by scotgard

cheers Jim Mc

I am indeed. A great setup. Safari room, chimnea, the works. I’ll try get some later

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2019  ·  #14

Quote by scotgard

cheers Jim Mc

Internet a bit slow here. Here’s one to whet the appetite. He is packing up now and moving on. Here until the end of May he said. Nice fella

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2019  ·  #15

benen
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: fiat ducato
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2019  ·  #16
In achill wild camping about 8 motor homes here pubs food and beach ,room for many more here and made welcomr

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2019  ·  #17
Always a good spot Benen and derm41 was so close before he decided to go home

derm41
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.04.2019  ·  #18
Love achill, should have thought of that

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2019  ·  #19
Quote by Daffysparks

seen this fella on Achil Island 2 years ago. Impressive rig.

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2019  ·  #20
Quote by derm41

Thoughts?

We were also in Westport House but only for 2 days. The 2 motorhomes on the same pitch were just behind us but we left the morning after they arrived. We went up to Bundoran for swimming after that and our distant cousins had moved in there in force. There were large numbers along the road beside Waterworld and more in the car park. The pool was closed (issues with heating) so we looked at the app and moved on :-). Found a lovely beach in Murvagh.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2019  ·  #21
Yeah, Murvagh is God’s own country I grew up about 2 miles from it and love that whole area. I’ve no trouble parking overnight anywhere around that area. 😂

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2019  ·  #22
Quote by Daffysparks

Quote by scotgard

cheers Jim Mc

Internet a bit slow here. Here’s one to whet the appetite. He is packing up now and moving on. Here until the end of May he said. Nice fella

A serious piece of kit. Saw the one below at Dusseldorf with a price tag of in the region of €800,000

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.04.2019  ·  #23
[url=

]New Unicat MAN[/url]

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2019  ·  #24

I met our Dutch friend today while out on my bike at a local forest park. He said he just asked and was able to stay a few nights in the overflow car park in the forest. A great setup and is spent that long asking him questions I forgot to ask his name. He said Ireland had been great and he mentioned Inch Beach and I said he has a fan club on Motorhomecraic!

He was not aware of the website or the app so I showed him both in my phone. He is heading to England soon. He and his wife are able to work from the Motorhome. I love the tailgate setup. I live nearby do offered him water and grey disposal but seems to have all he needs on site.

I spoke to the council staff on site about losing long coach parking bays recently and said I liked to visit in the Motorhome. He said the new coach parking spaces being constructed should be able to handle motorhomes and cars as there will be space for each vehicle type. Glad they are so welcoming of motorhomes. Thumbs up Newry, Mourne & Down council.

I’ve tried the new way of adding photos as I had trouble shrinking the file suse. Trouble is it keeps flipping the photos round 90 degrees.

derm41
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2019  ·  #25
I thought he just parked it on its nose........

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.