heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

two in one tablet

· 
Posted: 10.12.2016  ·  #1
After spending zillions of hours I decided that I would like a two in one laptop to replace my aging tablet and research showed for the price the HP Spectre X2 fitted the bill great.
Screen size 13inch good reviews as a stand alone tablet as well as a laptop, good sound for movies etc whilst in the van and a reasonable battery life.
So great choice at a reasonable price great for when we are away and for at home -------WRONG---------

If you are looking for something on the lines of this DONOT buy this as it has one major problem over almost every other make

It can only be charged from the Mains charger supplied with the machine. NO other charger can be bought which will work as HP have put something in the machine or its programme that will not recognise any other.
This of course means that if you are not on mains hook-up you cannot charge via a 12v connection like you can on almost any other tablet, Yes i know that if you have enough solar panel power you can use an inverter but I dont so would have to run the engine.

There is no mention of course before you buy so although I think that the machine works great at home I am going to have a problem when we look to tour next year not using sites much.

Moan over just have to bite the bullett and save up for a Tablet that can work off of 12v

David

stu8rty
Craic Addict
Homepage: belfastflyers.com
My Motorhome: Lunar champ H621
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8 2005
Subject:

Re: two in one tablet

· 
Posted: 12.12.2016  ·  #2
Thanks for the heads up on that Heanorboy it's little things like that that you forget to ask whenever your making your purchase and cant return it because youve had longer than 14 days to be able to take it back.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2016  ·  #3
Have a HP chromebook, I have to use an inverter to charge it for the same reasons. Why manufacturers want to have their own adaptors is beyond me.

joberg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 696f
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2016  ·  #4
All the different psu with different outputs and connectors is a pain. I went to a HP expo in leixlip 6 or 7 years ago where their pitch at that time was they were going to standardise power supplies across all their models, it happened for about 2 years and they were back to different power supplies. Even if they were standardized, there would be problem as most are designed to operate between 13v and 20v so even if they had a usb type power connector, a converter of some sort would be needed get it up from 12v to the required voltage. Like everything, there's not enough demand for companies to invest in mass production...so if you're off ehu a good bit, an inverter seems to be the only way to go

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.12.2016  ·  #5
Ally and Joberg

Thanks for the comments as it does seem that an inverter may the way to go
However
Looking at the cost of inverters (no idea what size to buy if i did) and bearing in mind that I have NO solar panels to keep the batteries charged the alternative of buying say a 10-12in tablet that takes less power and could be charged on 12v may be a more sensible and cheaper way
David

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2016  ·  #6
You may need something around 500w but make sure it's a pure sine wave one. Connect it directly to the starter batter and run the engine when charging, especially when moving from one place to another!

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2016  ·  #7
Quote by the fat controller

You may need something around 500w but make sure it's a pure sine wave one. Connect it directly to the starter batter and run the engine when charging, especially when moving from one place to another!

John
Thanks for that but it worries me that it will take out loads from the battery with the time it takes to charge the HP spectre x2.and I would have a flat battery surely it is better to connect to the two 90 leisure batteries I have. Is there a magic formula on how to get how much an inverter takes out of a battery per hour say.
How do you know which one to buy the price range is massive from a few quid to hundreds

:D Also can you tell me how you manage to move from one place to another other than run the engine I could understand how The Rev can as he can call on divine intervention :devil:

David

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2016  ·  #8
if you connect to the cab battery if you start the engine when charging or if you got into the habit of charging with the inverter on and charging when driving it wont have too much of an effect on your batteries. If you do it off the hab batteries then they wont get charged as quickly or the boost from the alternator which the cab battery will get.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2016  ·  #9
Have a look at the label on your present mains charger.

It should say something like

Input 100 to 250 volts
Power 60watts
Output 15volts 3 amps, 5volts 8amps
Etc.

If you can quote the label data then I'll have some idea of the load on the invertor.

If you only want to charge the laptop then an invertor of 150/200 watts is probably big enough

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2016  ·  #10
Quote by kabundi

Have a look at the label on your present mains charger.

It should say something like

Input 100 to 250 volts
Power 60watts
Output 15volts 3 amps, 5volts 8amps
Etc.

If you can quote the label data then I'll have some idea of the load on the invertor.

If you only want to charge the laptop then an invertor of 150/200 watts is probably big enough

no lost me isn't the charger part of the control panel
David

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2016  ·  #11
heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2016  ·  #12
Look I cant help it thick or what 🇧🇭 :sorry:

What printed on the charger
WIDE RANGE INPUT
100-240v - 1.4A50-60Hz
OUTPUT
5V==2A
12V==3A/15V==3A

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2016  ·  #13
kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2016  ·  #14
Typically laptop batteries are rated at under 5 amp hours. This is approximately the energy consumed to charge it. Compare that to your engine or leisure battery rated at typically 100 plus amp hours. It is unlikely that you would notice any difference to your engine or leisure battery after charging the laptop battery. Provided you start with a charged engine or leisure battery this would be the case even if the engine or leisure battery is not being charged in any way during the time you operate the laptop charger.

For comparison running a 5 watt LED light consumes about 0.5 amp hour for every hour it operates while a 20 watt capsule halogen light consumes close to 2 amp hour for every hour it operates.

Your laptop charger has a maximum output rating of 45 watts (15x3). There will be an inefficiency in the two conversion - from the engine or leisure battery through the invertor and again from the invertor through the laptop charger. If each of the efficiencies are say 80% then the maximum input power to the invertor will be around 70 watts (45/0.8/0.8). This is equivalent to approximately 6 amps from your engine or leisure battery. Note that this is the maximum, during charging as the laptop battery becomes more charged the charging current reduces.

The crude rule of thumb for sizing invertors is twice the load, so an invertor of 100 watts would be adequate if you only want to charge the laptop. Personally I would go for minimum of 150/200 watts which gives you a bit of spare capacity if you wanted to charge phones, iPad etc.

Most cigarette lighters have a 15 amp fuse. An invertor rated up to 200 watts would operate from the cigarette lighter. You would need to confirm that the cigarette lighter operates when the engine ignition if OFF. Alternately you may have a permanently powered cigarette lighter in the habitation area, this could also be used provided it has a 15 amp fuse.

In any case ensure that you have a means of switching off or unplugging the invertor as it draws power even if there is nothing connected to its output. Always switch the invertor OFF when not in use.

As has been said before go for a pure sine wave invertor and if you can use the invertor while the engine is running, in which case you will not even know it is there.

If you run the invertor from a cigarette lighter you are looking just at the cost of an invertor, a 200 watt pure sign wave will cost around £100. Make sure that the invertor rating is CONTINUOUS, that is it will deliver 200 watts continuously not for a short time.

If you are thinking of an invertor larger than 200 watts it will need to be permanently installed and hard wired directly to the engine or leisure battery with an isolator switch and in line fuse on the connection between the battery and the invertor. If you can do the install yourself the cabling and isolator switch should cost less than £50, however if you need someone to do the install then you need to add a further £100 say.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2016  ·  #15
Don't know where 8-) came from, should be as below

If each of the efficiencies are say 80% then the maximum input power to the invertor will be around 70 watts (45 / 0.8 / 0.8 )

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2016  ·  #16
Ask the question and you get a great answer.
I think that I will wire in direct to the leisure battery so have added an inverter to my Santa list but think that it maybe something for me to research in the new year
Many thanks :thx:

David

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2019  ·  #17
To raise a dead topic and add a bit
The HP turned out to be the worst buy I ever made it started freezing, dying and other weird things at 13 months so gave it my son to play with and bought a bog standard Dell Laptop. The wizzz kids at Worcester Uni (my sons place of work) have played with, and took to pieces the HP and say HP used super crappy ((technical term I think) motherboard and it needs replacement. Funny thing is/was they only made this model for a few months and muggins here bought one.

Anyway point of interest
Been looking for a long time for a two in one 10 inch tablet and me being me couldn't make a decision and bearing in mind it will be only for use in the van didn't want to spend a lot never did decided
Anyway now if you look on Amazon you can get the Fire 10 HD in their sale for £110
it always get a great review so I am thinking that with a Bluetooth keyboard case for about £40 or less not a bad choice
I am nuts or what
David

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2019  ·  #18
The jury is out on that one David :lol:

Personally I would go the whole hog and buy an Ipad!!!

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #19
Quote by the fat controller

The jury is out on that one David :lol:

Personally I would go the whole hog and buy an Ipad!!!

My son is in the same camp as you saying that Apple are the best but for something that would be for large parts of the year not used for me would seem a poor option, and I am guessing when he could he would "like to borrow"
Have read and been advised that the Fire 10 is prone to charging failure and a few say go for the lower end Galaxy Tab anybody able to comment.
Thanks folks
David

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #20
I have a galaxy 10.1 tab A. Alright for basic stuff and occasional use. Wouldn’t compare it to an iPad in any manner though

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #21
Chromebook. Beats everything hands down.

Fast, reliable, tablet, laptop whatever.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #22
Quote by Ally

Chromebook. Bats everything hands down.

But I thought that the Chromebook was like my HP was meaning it would only charge via the mains?
Yes I know I could get an inverter but the costs are then rocketing

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

two in one tablet

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #23
From an earlier post on inverters would this not work for you.

Bravo View (INV-300C) 300 Watt Peak Power Inverter is for converting battery/DC power into AC power.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #24
like this successfully

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #25
Quote by heanorboy

But I thought that the Chromebook was like my HP was meaning it would only charge via the mains?

Mine is via USB also.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #26
Quote by Ally

Quote by heanorboy

Mine is via USB also.

Ok so what yer got

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2019  ·  #27
Quote by Ally

Chromebook. Beats everything hands down.

OK bought one arrived today 10.1 screen o.O
David

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2019  ·  #28
Quote by heanorboy

Ok so what yer got

I thought I replied to this post. :-/

Click:

forum/topic.php?p=144005#real144005

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.