My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Dungarvan Parking

· 
Posted: 18.04.2019  ·  #45
Quote by Breeze

We need a similar result in Galway

Galway is seriously anti overnight motorhome parking, probably under the influence of local caravan and camping park operators.
Personally, I avoid the place like the plague and take my hard earned to where I am welcomed.
If they can't even get their European City of Culture act together don't hold your breath for an overnight motorhome parking facility.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2019  ·  #46
Stopped off in Dungarvan on Friday on the way to Kinsale. Popped down to the parking area that we usually frequent by the harbour. About 25 vans there and not a lot of space left there. Very popular spot

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2019  ·  #47
Definite movement at last 😀.

Go to number 4 In this link and make your submission, undoubtedly there will by many negative submissions by those with vested interests in stopping the proposal which will need to be counteracted.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2019  ·  #48
Great outcome hopefully more of the same around the country. :up:
submissions done E-mail sent.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2019  ·  #49
eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2019  ·  #50
A good news story 👍

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2019  ·  #51
Quote by eirebus

A good news story 👍

Good but not great.
As a result of the Fire Officer requiring 3.0m separation between vehicles the number of parking spaces has been reduced from the original 11 to 8.
We have written to them asking for the reasoning for the 3.0m separation and pointing out the 1.8m - 2.0m is the norm.

3.0m spacing would facilitate 'infill' parking by latecomers resulting in less than 0.5m separation.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2019  ·  #52
Excellent, hope they did their homework on what we need👍

Liked by: sprinter

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2019  ·  #53
Quote by CHAUSSON

Excellent, hope they did their homework on what we need👍

They were given multiple choices all based on best practice throughout Europe. However, the F.O. seems to have other ideas.

When one sees the H&S across Europe versus what we have to put up with here we do seem to be overly preoccupied with it.
Example: every half-decent tourist town seem to have a 'tourist train' but they are gone from here because of H&S and or Insurance difficulties, just like bouncy castles.
I couldn't see this happening in Ireland
:o o.O :happy:

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2019  ·  #54
panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2019  ·  #55
Great its got the go- ahead but 8 bays aint gonna cut it.....better than nothing of course but spaces will be in high demand, forget about trying to get a space arriving late.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2019  ·  #56
With this plan, do they intend to ban motorhome parking in the popular area closer to town by St Marys Church?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2019  ·  #57
Quote by Blag

With this plan, do they intend to ban motorhome parking in the popular area closer to town by St Marys Church?

Believe it or not, the new place is slightly closer to the town square than the place by the church.

Also, AFAIK there will be overflow parking allowed on the pitch & putt parking area.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #58
Having made a submission I received this yesterday, My reply is attached at the end.

Aideen Jacob

AttachmentsWed, 20 Nov, 12:19 (23 hours ago)
to
Dear Sir/Madam,

I refer to your submission in relation to the above Part 8 process. The completion of the Part 8 was dealt with at the Dungarvan/Lismore District meeting held on 11th November 2019. The Council agreed to proceed on the basis of the recommendation contained in the Chief Executive's Report which was to reduce the number of camper van spaces from 11 to 8. A copy of the report is attached for your information. I would like to thank you for your participation in this process.

Kind regards,

Aideen Jacob

Administrative Officer

Roads Department
0761102773|Mob: 0863731268|email:ajacob@waterfordcouncil.ie

Thank you for keeping us informed, I must admit I would question the decision to extend the separation distance from 1.8m to 3m ( 3m which is the standard for static caravan parks ). This, unfortunately, appears to show a lack of understanding of what actually happens on the ground by Mr. Niall Curtin, Chief Fire Officer, Waterford City, and County Council.  This distance will allow parking between the existing parked motorhomes by cars, vans, and even the biggest motorhomes, which will defeat the purpose of the separation in the first place.evidance of this can be seen on every caravan park throughout the country and elsewhere in Europe, a look at the tyre tracks beside mobile homes and caravan pitches will clearly show that the 3m distance will be disregarded. and there will be no one to police it at midnight on a Friday or Saturday
Notwithstanding the loss of the 3 spaces, I would urge you to re-examine this distance for the reasons explained above  
Best regards
M. D
Campervan owner.

Liked by: Ally, baguette, Blag, CHAUSSON, eirebus, Europa, ntg, panda, +deleted user

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #59
A good letter Sprinter and right on point.
Below is a letter I sent on November 13th. to Gabriel Hynes. Senior Engineer. Waterford County Council. Mr Hynes was mentioned in the press articles:

Dear Mr Hynes,

We read with interest and with some degree of satisfaction the reported approval of the proposed development of a motorhome specific parking area at The Quann's in today's media.
We note that in the article there is mention that the Chief Fire Officer submitted that a three metres separation between vehicles is adopted 'on health and safety grounds'.
Having recently returned from a four-month tour which included France, Germany and Spain where separation in such overnight parking areas is generally in the order of 1.5m to 2.0m we would be very much obliged to know the reasoning of the Chief Fire Officer in order that we may better understand his opinion on the matter.

It is our experience that, bearing in mind the standard width of a car parking space is 2.3m > 2.4m, a separation of greater than 2.0m can facilitate 'infill' occupation by late arrivals after all the official spaces are occupied. Such activity results in a grossly overcrowded facility with a separation of less than 0.5m. A 3.0m separation also facilitates the undesirable use of the free area for 'camping' activities such as the deployment of awnings and other equipment.

We await your reply

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #60
Unfortunately, Colin, this is the answer I received and then my reply.

Dear Martin,

Thank you for your email and I note the points made by you. However, the recommendations of the Chief Fire Officer is based on European, New Zealand and Australian guidance for caravans/campervans and his advice in respect of the minimum separation distance for risk of fire must be 3m. As you will understand the Council must have regard for any such advice where there is a potential risk of fire and to public safety. Only time will tell how the separation distance will work out once the facility is completed and in operation and the Council will monitor compliance and address any issues that may arise at that stage.

to Aideen

My answer to that is they said the Bowing 737 Max was the safest thing also and the reality is something different, recommendations are nor realities and I hope they install some kind of restriction to stop the infill because I certainly hope he or his men never have to deal with the consequences,
Regards
Martin.

The problem is he has no concept of what some will do.
He has obviously never traveled in Europe, in France last year I parked in a line in an Aire leaving a good space and went for a walk, on returning the French idiot beside me moved his van so his buddy could fit into the front row with a sea view and then they both put up their screens and watched telly all evening, he was so close I hit his wing mirror with my drivers door. in Spain, I have seen 32 vans in a row with not enough space between then to push a bike trough.

Liked by: Ally, panda

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #61
Quote by sprinter

Dear Martin,

Thank you for your email and I note the points made by you. However, the recommendations of the Chief Fire Officer is based on European, New Zealand and Australian guidance for caravans/campervans and his advice in respect of the minimum separation distance for risk of fire must be 3m. As you will understand the Council must have regard for any such advice where there is a potential risk of fire and to public safety. Only time will tell how the separation distance will work out once the facility is completed and in operation and the Council will monitor compliance and address any issues that may arise at that stage.

to Aideen

My answer to that is they said the Bowing 737 Max was the safest thing also and the reality is something different, recommendations are nor realities and I hope they install some kind of restriction to stop the infill because I certainly hope he or his men never have to deal with the consequences,
Regards
Martin.

The problem is he has no concept of what some will do.
He has obviously never traveled in Europe, in France last year I parked in a line in an Aire leaving a good space and went for a walk, on returning the French idiot beside me moved his van so his buddy could fit into the front row with a sea view and then they both put up their screens and watched telly all evening, he was so close I hit his wing mirror with my drivers door. in Spain, I have seen 32 vans in a row with not enough space between then to push a bike trough.

Martin, you don't have to go to France for that to happen, I witnessed it in Dicks field where a Motorhome squeezed in between ourselves and the Motorhome next to us, I thought he was with our neighbour and when I met our neighbour he thought he was with us, FFS the field was half empty, it beats me what is the reasoning behind this kind of behaviour.

Liked by: Ally, panda, sprinter

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #62
Quote by sprinter

Dear Martin,

................................However, the recommendations of the Chief Fire Officer is based on European, New Zealand and Australian guidance for caravans/campervans and his advice in respect of the minimum separation distance for risk of fire must be 3m. .........................................

That's the problem, isn't it?
The F.O. got his guidance for caravans/campervans New Zealand Here (see 6 (2)) Australia Here Page 53 paragraph 8 which indicates he is applying caravan and camping park requirements. He certainly didn't get guidance from fellow European authorities who provide off-street parking areas for motorhomes (Aires).

It's interesting that the recommended width of a truck parking bay in the T.I.I. publication The Location And Layout Of Service Areas is 3.5m and this is for overnight parking of vehicles carrying hazardous materials in which the driver could be 'living & sleeping', during his/her regulation rest periods.
So it's okay a driver to 'live & sleep' in a truck with over 40,000l litres of petrol just1.0m from its neighbours while we must leave a separation of 3.0m :-/

Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.02.2020  ·  #63
Stayed at the Lookout for a couple of nights. Three spaces marked out. Went down to the sports centre no sign of any work started yet.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #64
Local media have reported that Waterford Council has received a grant of €240,000 under the Outdoor Recreation Improvement Scheme which includes €100,000 for the provision of the planned Motorhome Parking Area at The Quanns. The area will also include a services bay.
However, development work is delayed due to Covid-19 restrictions.

:up: :-)

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #65
Great news...love dungargan 👍

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Dungarvan Parking

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #66
That's brilliant Colin
If we could only get other councils infected with the same as Waterford and Cork.

Liked by: panda

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #67
Great news Colin,

A big thanks to all involved in the various lobbying that goes on behind the scenes

adria
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.04.2020  ·  #68
Great news...as it's a great stopover....well done to those involved..👍👍.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2020  ·  #69
Some information regarding where the money came from which should be of interest to other councils considering creating overnight Motorhome Parking Areas.

The Department of Rural and Community Development in collaboration with Fáilte Ireland operates an Outdoor Recreation Infrastructure Scheme to provide funds for various tourism related projects.
It was under the above scheme that Waterford secured the funding for the Motorhome Parking Area at Dungarvan

Other councils take note.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Dungarvan Parking

· 
Posted: 18.04.2020  ·  #70
Quote by baguette

Some information regarding where the money came from which should be of interest to other councils considering creating overnight Motorhome Parking Areas.

The Department of Rural and Community Development in collaboration with Fáilte Ireland operates an Outdoor Recreation Infrastructure Scheme to provide funds for various tourism related projects.
It was under the above scheme that Waterford secured the funding for the Motorhome Parking Area at Dungarvan

Other councils take note.

That's a great angle to pursue, where there is a will, they will find a way. unfortunately having the will seems to be the problem.

Liked by: baguette

Breeze
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 650
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

Dungarvan proposed new Aire

· 
Posted: 04.08.2020  ·  #71
Is there any truth that this new proposed Aire has been taken over by the caravan and clothes line group ?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.08.2020  ·  #72
No reports on the MPI app to suggest that.

Breeze
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.08.2020  ·  #73
A friend was down 2 weeks ago and told me they had moved in and he went to Dicks field.
I was surprised that nobody else had reported it.
We were thinking of going down this weekend and was looking for an update

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.08.2020  ·  #74
I know someone who lives local, I'll see if they know.

Breeze
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.08.2020  ·  #75
Thanks Ally

Liked by: Ally

Tourer
Craic'er
Subject:

Dungarvan

· 
Posted: 04.08.2020  ·  #76
I am in the Dungarvan Aire this evening nothing but motorhomes here all bays full and a few motorhomes in the bus bays.

Liked by: Ally, MAURICE

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.08.2020  ·  #77
Was there two days ago in the car, counted approx 25 Motorhomes, didn’t notice any caravans. Not sure if in the right place, half were at the lookout and the other half were further on at what looked like a sports centre.

Breeze
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.08.2020  ·  #78
It is the parking area near the sports centre I was told had been occupied by caravans
Great news

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.08.2020  ·  #79
Was there last year and stayed in the carpark which is behind the pitch and putt and overlooks the sea....Great spot :up:

Liked by: sootyrex

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.