Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Dogs and Brexit

· 
Posted: 02.02.2019  ·  #1
Info from dog owners, please.
My sister is travelling from Wales to the RoI by ferry for a wedding in April. What, if any, is the arrangement for dogs at present, do they have to go through the same procedure as is required when been taken to mainland Europe. She has never travelled with a dog before and neither have we, so advice would be much appreciated from those who have. Assuming we won't be all reinventing life post a hard Brexit.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Dogs and Brexit

· 
Posted: 02.02.2019  ·  #2
I think usually there's no problem but you can be asked for a pet passport, there should be a link on the ferry website or check with her vet it's a fluid situation at the moment

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2019  ·  #3
there is a list on Irish Ferries helpful questions site, seems you need a pet passport, a microchipped dog to match,and a certificate for rabies injection from a vet not less than 21 days previous, These rules will be in place until the Britexit is fully in place or how long is a piece of string.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2019  ·  #4
There would be no checks if she travelled via Belfast. 😏😏

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #5
Quote by Mark&Wendy

That’s what I did for years, but all insurance companies that I’ve looked at now have a condition in ‘overseas cover’ that the pet must be in compliance with the pet passport scheme. Just be careful with that.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #6
At the moment the guidance looks to be as follows:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pe…ter-brexit

I'm not making any plans or booking any sites with pets across the border post March 29th until the situation is confirmed.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #7
Taken from Citezensinformation.ie regarding pets coming into R.O.I from non-EU Countries:

Pets from outside the EU

If you want to import a cat, dog or ferret into Ireland from a country outside the EU there are 2 categories of these countries: qualifying lower-risk countries and non-qualifying high-risk countries. You can check if your country of origin is on this list of qualifying lower-risk countries. If it is not on this list then your country of origin is a non-qualifying high-risk country.

Pets from qualifying non-EU countries

A cat, dog or ferret from a qualifying lower-risk non-EU country must undergo the following in this order:
•Be identified by a microchip
•Be vaccinated for rabies subsequently
•Have a veterinary health certificate in the form of Annex IV to Commission Implementing Decision 577/2013 to certify that it is currently immunised against rabies and dogs must be treated against tapeworm between24 and 120 hours before arriving in Ireland. Treatment for ticks is not compulsory but it is advisable to get it at the same time as the tapeworm treatment.

So unless there is a new agreement in place for the end of march, you would need to vaccinate your dog to cross the border into the south. Technically speaking that is. I can't imagine that being enforced.

And the site also states that:

If you are travelling with your pet (including a recognised guide dog) directly to Ireland from a country not listed in Table 1 below, you must also notify DAFM of your pet’s arrival at least 24 hours before you arrive in Ireland:

Table 1

An EU member state, Monaco
Andorra, Norway
Gibraltar, San Marino
Greenland and the Faroe Islands, Switzerland
Iceland, Vatican City State
Liechtenstein

So technically you would need to notify the Dept. of Agriculture & Food of your intention to travel with your pet 24 hours in advance when coming down south.

What a mess!

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #8
Mattmobile3
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Fiat Tribute T669 2015
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2019  ·  #9
Quote by aria

Quote by Mark&Wendy

That’s what I did for years, but all insurance companies that I’ve looked at now have a condition in ‘overseas cover’ that the pet must be in compliance with the pet passport scheme. Just be careful with that.

We've just gone with a new pet insurance company and I specifically asked the question regarding travel from NI to ROI now and after Brexit. They class travel from NI to ROI as a European, overseas, trip and will only cover our dog if we have all the pet passport stuff in order. As for after Brexit...they had no clue and just guessed that nothing may change.

altnanean
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Lakia Kreos
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

NI Ireland

· 
Posted: 14.04.2019  ·  #10
Hello
just wanted to say that we always went to a vet in Derry until yesterday. Now to get a dog passport to go to France we have to go to vet in Donegal. The Derry vet can no longer give out passports that would do for an Irish dog!!!!

Una

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2019  ·  #11
Quote by altnanean

Hello
just wanted to say that we always went to a vet in Derry until yesterday. Now to get a dog passport to go to France we have to go to vet in Donegal. The Derry vet can no longer give out passports that would do for an Irish dog!!!!

Una

And what was their reason, nothing has changed since yesterday (or last year).

altnanean
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Lakia Kreos
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

Dog passport

· 
Posted: 17.04.2019  ·  #12
Hello
Well they blamed Brexit and the uncertainty. Earlier in the year the TAi CHi UNION of GB said they could no longer insure folk from Ireland for the same reason. Ah well sure no-one knows the future !!

Una

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.