StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Campsite prices more than a B&B?

· 
Posted: 15.04.2019  ·  #1
Had a nice German couple stay last night who had stayed the night before in campsite in a neighbouring county. Charge to park €28. If they wanted ehu it was €6, showers extra, and €3 per dog. They didn’t have a dog.
Now I know it’s a popular county but they could have got a nice B&B for the same money.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Campsite prices more than a B&B?

· 
Posted: 15.04.2019  ·  #2
And more to park a car, awning,

Funny you say that,

Years ago I checked the price of the flesk in Killarney, 2 adults kids ehu ,
It was actually cheaper to book into the gleneagle as they had a special offer on B&B,

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Campsite prices more than a B&B?

· 
Posted: 15.04.2019  ·  #3
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Had a nice German couple stay last night who had stayed the night before in campsite in a neighbouring county. Charge to park €28. If they wanted ehu it was €6, showers extra, and €3 per dog. They didn’t have a dog.
Now I know it’s a popular county but they could have got a nice B&B for the same money.

Do you know the worst part of that is People actually pay it, and support these places.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2019  ·  #4
Quote by sprinter

Do you know the worst part of that is People actually pay it, and support these places.

Does give a bad impression to tourists though.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2019  ·  #5
We hope to head that direction for Easter. I hope there are plenty of overnight parking spots. Don’t fancy paying those prices. Will be checking out the App

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2019  ·  #6
Stayed in Killarney about 15 years ago and have never gone back there's plenty of other places, if you don't go they can't charge you, the same as people handing over €17 for 2 glasses of wine, do they really need wine that badly, you pay it they'll take it and it will be more expensive next year etc

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2019  ·  #7
Quote by eirebus

Stayed in Killarney about 15 years ago and have never gone back there's plenty of other places, if you don't go they can't charge you, the same as people handing over €17 for 2 glasses of wine, do they really need wine that badly, you pay it they'll take it and it will be more expensive next year etc

I was in Killarney Paddy's weekend and met a Guy who stayed for one night in the flesk cost him €37 for himself and his wife in a Motorhome, the few hardstands there were all taken when he got there and when he attempted to reverse into one of the grass pitches he got stuck, couldn't level the van and he had to find a guy with 4X4 the following day to pull him out. on top of that there was a big industrial Generator powering the site for the weekend running 24/7 alongside him.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2019  ·  #8
Quote by eirebus

the same as people handing over €17 for 2 glasses of wine, do they really need wine that badly,

In my defense, Dave, I didn’t realize the wine was that expensive until I got the bill for it

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2019  ·  #9
Quote by Daffysparks
In my defense, Dave, I didn’t realize the wine was that expensive until I got the bill for it

I've heard a lot of people complain recently about being charged those prices lately your not the only one David 😊

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2019  ·  #10
Down in Glenarm last weekend. Lovely spot on the Antrim coast. Free overnight parking. Pint of carlsberg + glass of red wine in Stevey's £5.50. Gin & Tonic £3. Craic is free; so it is. As the locals say “ Yu cuddnay bate it”. :D

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2019  ·  #11
I'm researching sites for a trip to West Galway, think I came across those prices listed for one campsite. It would be €39 for us. However most of the others don't seem to advertise a price list at all. Maybe we should miss out that leg of the WAW and go straight to Doonbeg.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2019  ·  #12
Folks as usual when the popularity of something is on the up (like motorhoming) there are always people who want to milk it, (Greed), you have seen it in bars and resturants as well as camping parks ,too be fair not all. Surely some of the men in suits from the Tourist Board could be prompted to take it in hand to sort out. Remember you dont have to be German or an American to be a tourist ,Just any person who travels from their home is also one too.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.04.2019  ·  #13
Quote by Mark&Wendy

I'm researching sites for a trip to West Galway, think I came across those prices listed for one campsite. It would be €39 for us. However most of the others don't seem to advertise a price list at all. Maybe we should miss out that leg of the WAW and go straight to Doonbeg.

In fairness there are plenty of sites in Galway that do advertise their prices and are about average but as Aaron from Charlie and me states; one of his pet hates is an extra charge for showers. The prices for showers, hot water for washing up, pet fees, awning fee, extra car, visitors can make an inexpensive site on face value expensive.
€6 for ehu is steep, I could imagine it’s possible to use that much but not in a VW California.
I haven’t checked recently but I believe both sites in Doolin charge roughly the same as me as do the others I know of in Clare. So don’t skip other sites just plan a bit so you don’t get fleeced.
And like most things cheapest doesn’t necessarily equal best value.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.04.2019  ·  #14
Quote by nilrac

Folks as usual when the popularity of something is on the up (like motorhoming) there are always people who want to milk it, (Greed), you have seen it in bars and resturants as well as camping parks ,too be fair not all. Surely some of the men in suits from the Tourist Board could be prompted to take it in hand to sort out. Remember you dont have to be German or an American to be a tourist ,Just any person who travels from their home is also one too.

The tourist board cannot determine an individuals price structure. That’s down to the owners and prospective customers.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.04.2019  ·  #15
There are sites all over with a pricing structure that makes no sense to me, but it obviously makes sense to the owners.
A well known site here in Donegal will set you back the best part of €45 p/n in a motorhome for 2 people if you want a pitch in a hard standing, with EHU, an awning and 2 showers (shower now €2). We don’t go there but have done so in the past as my brother and his family have a caravan. The irony is that it’s booked out every night.
Use our app, use the motorhome facilities, use common sense and we’ve no need to feed the greed of unscrupulous site owners.

norma
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: VW T5
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #16
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Are you sure about that? Surely a b&b would cost that much each...
You are right though it is a ridiculous price for camping.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #17
Use our app, use the motorhome facilities, use common sense and we’ve no need to feed the greed of unscrupulous site owners.

Can't fault that advice 👍

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.