Northern Spain recommendations for places to stay and visit

Navrepmac
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.03.2019  ·  #1
Taking motorhome to Spain (Cork -Santander) in late June for 2 weeks. It is our first time in the region, first time with a MH so would welcome advice on places to visit / places to avoid etc
Thinking of week in in Asturias (by the coast) and then maybe finish up near St Sebastian (saw a good report for Orio). Picos de Europa looks like a place to visit in Asturias but would the driving be difficult in a MH (steep?) and is an overnight needed?
have the guidebooks but first hand feedback from a motorhome perspective would be a great help

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Re: Northern Spain recommendations for places to stay and visit

· 
Posted: 19.03.2019  ·  #2
I spent a few weeks driving around that area last year and wrote a bit of a blog about, forum/index.php?f=99 The photos have all disappeared since we had the server problems a few months back. If you have any questions or want any of the photos referred to give me a shout. I'd highly recommend you get the book "All the Aires Spain and Portugal" worth it's weight in gold. :up:

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.03.2019  ·  #3
There is a good free Aire in santander beside the university. You can walk directly into the city in about 15 minutes or cycle along the coast to the city (like doing the other 2 sides of the triangle) but very scenic and pleasant.. Burgos is a pleasant town with an Aire in the suberbs amongst the high rise flats, seems a bit odd but fine. It has an incredible Cathedral. Leon is also a nice city to stop over at. The Aire is fairly central but is a pay per day and gets full of cars by day, so easy to get trapped if you have a large van. Arrive late and depart early and it is easy.

Santiago has a decent pay Aire and the town is pleasant and is of course the end of the pilgrimage, another fine Cathedral. San Sebastion is a very busy Aire beside the university again. Get there early! Easy cycle on mostly dedicated paths into the beach at the west end of the city and a pleasant walk or cycle along a lovely promenade. If it is full there is an alternative large Aire near the sports stadium, slightly further out but an easy cycle along the river into the centre. One of our favourite towns. La Corruna is worth a visit too.

These are all locations we like to revisit. You will find good info on them on searchforsites.co.uk and of course the all the aires book is very useful. If campsites are more your style of camping then the Acsi discount scheme might be worth investigating. A selection of sites which offer discounts in the low season (not July or August, but can vary a bit). A pitch, electric, access to all facilities for 2 people for between 17 and €20 per night. Pays for itself very quickly, and there are even a few Irish sites in it so you could use it in September at home.

We use a site (Acsi ) called Picos de europa near the town of Cangas d onas. Pleasant shady site on the edge of the Picos. The range is difficult to access by Motorhome. Last year we tried to drive the N625 through the mountains in our 7m long 2.3wide van. I turned round after 30 minutes of difficult twisting narrow road with rock overhangs and blind bends. I should point out we have driven up several Pyrenean Coll’s including the route up to Gavernie etc which are similar but easier. This coming year (next month) we intend to rent a car for a day or two and explore the Picos a little more. Cangas d onis which has an Aire is also the start point for buses which will take you up to Covadonga from where you can walk the mountains. There are various GR routes and refuges if you like walking. Even if you don’t there is a pleasant short walk round the lakes. Cars are not permitted in large parts of the mountains as it is a national park.

Another nearby town is Arriondas, which has an easily accessed Mercadona and fuel stations etc, but is also a good location to hire a canoe to travel down the river Sella. The river will be alive with people of all shapes, sizes and ages travelling down the river which is a straightforward paddle using the current. Pretty safe and very enjoyable. The river meets the sea at Ribadesella which is a lovely small seaside town. Worth a visit.

Hopefully this will also give you a few ideas, along with flipperdippers blog.

Davy

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2019  ·  #4
Funta Dee f

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2019  ·  #5
Quote by witzend

Funta Dee for the cable car is easily drive able with large parking but no over nighting when we where there nice ACSI site close by nr Potes 43.154481 -4. 643444

I was there in May last year and had intended to stay overnight so I asked at the cable car if it was OK and they said no problem and it was safe. The only reason I didn't stay was the weather was so bad and there'd be no guarantee of any sort of a view from the mountain the following day. Must get back someday, nice spot. Cable car to the top and then walk back down should fill in the day nicely.

Navrepmac
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2019  ·  #6
Thanks for the feedback folks

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2019  ·  #7
There's a large free aire

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2019  ·  #8
Quote by witzend

There's a large free aire and services at Cabarceno with views into the Elephant Park
We,ve only used it as a transit stop when going to or from the ferry but there is cafe / bars in the village and its beside a large lake 43.358118 -3. 819147

I don't think those numbers are right?

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2019  ·  #9
Quote by sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Northern Spain recommendations for places to stay and visit Topic information

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #10
Quote by witzend

Quote by sprinter

Works for Me did you miss the minus Google Link

Elephants Here

I see what the problem is now, I just cut and past, and there is an extra space between the point and the figure 8.
Thanks, looks a nice spot for a wee break.

McGeemobile
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Places to stay in Spain

· 
Posted: 25.03.2019  ·  #11
I tried to reply at the start of the thread but couldn't get onto the forum through a lost password. The Vicarious Aires book for Spain and Portugal is ok but out of date. The Spanish motorhomers book has twice as many places. Their website is areasac. es and they also sell a book of Aires in Spain which is updated every year. Although it is in Spanish, but with photos and G PS you can't go wrong. We spend a lot of time in the north of Spain and I know you will love it.

McGeemobile
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2019  ·  #12
I forgot to add that the north west of Spain is Celtic. The music is so similar especially

the pipes. We bought a flag there a few years back with all the Celtic nations on. Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Brittany, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Galicia. We have spent 3 months parked next to a couple from Asturias who insist that they too are Celts.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.03.2019  ·  #13
This might help

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.