Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Reverse Polarity correction.

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #1
Prompted by a reply on another thread I thought I'd share my solution to the reverse polarity often encountered in the continent.
There is a consensus among many that a reverse polarity issue isn't something to worry about, but in some cases certain appliances can be in a "live" state even if the switch is off.
I have often left the reverse polarity concern as it is but this solution works well and to boot, if you need to tap into a supply that has no points left this can help too as a splitter.
I really dont know why our continental neighbours dont bother about polarity, maybe they dont bond their neutrals like we do here, but maybe its best being safe than sorry. Ive generally found the wiring on the continent to be inferior to the British/Irish regulations.

It began as a standard 240v 16a, 3 way splitter. I removed one socket, swapped the live/neutral and painted the socket a different colour to identify it and added a simple label.
Now if the reversed polarity light illuminates in the van its a simple matter of plugging this into the post, plugging the EHU lead into the 'gold' socket and that sorts the reverse polarity.
A simple and easy solution that doubles as a handy splitter on the 2 other ports if required.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

Re: Reverse Polarity correction.

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #2
Ah good auld Donegal folk can always get a simple solution.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #3
Quote by jacktherev

That's because they're simple folk Jack. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #4
Quote by Flipperdipper

Quote by jacktherev

That's because they're simple folk Jack. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Naw, were KISS'ers

"Keep it simple stupid" :fgrin:

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #5
Now if the reversed polarity light illuminates in the van

Never noticed this light is it in all vans.

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #6
Quote by eirebus

Neither did I. Any idea what the light looks like??

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #7
Quote by Elmo

Quote by eirebus

Neither did I. Any idea what the light looks like??

In our van its just a little red bulb on the distribution panel that illuminates if the polarity of the supply is reversed. Not sure if its on all vans, maybe not european manafactured ones, I really dont know.

Its a very simple circuit, a bulb in series with a 25K resistor across the earth/neutral. If the neutral becomes live it illuminates the bulb. Easily made up or you can buy a plug you insert into a standard 240v socket.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #8
Quote by JJF

Prompted by a reply on another thread I thought I'd share my solution to the reverse polarity often encountered in the continent.
There is a consensus among many that a reverse polarity issue isn't something to worry about, but in some cases certain appliances can be in a "live" state even if the switch is off.
I have often left the reverse polarity concern as it is but this solution works well and to boot, if you need to tap into a supply that has no points left this can help too as a splitter.
I really dont know why our continental neighbours dont bother about polarity, maybe they dont bond their neutrals like we do here, but maybe its best being safe than sorry. Ive generally found the wiring on the continent to be inferior to the British/Irish regulations.

It began as a standard 240v 16a, 3 way splitter. I removed one socket, swapped the live/neutral and painted the socket a different colour to identify it and added a simple label.
Now if the reversed polarity light illuminates in the van its a simple matter of plugging this into the post, plugging the EHU lead into the 'gold' socket and that sorts the reverse polarity.
A simple and easy solution that doubles as a handy splitter on the 2 other ports if required.

Same here you beat me to it.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #9
I have carried that little plug for years and have a short bit of cable with Male one end and female on the other end. I rewired it to reverse the polarity and if the plug says it's wrong I just add it to my electric cable. I made it so long ago I dont even remember how its wired. Someone on here might be able to help

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #10
You don't have to go to the Continent to find reverse polarity, We had a Craic meet in Lough Ree East and one of the Motorhomes started sending out warnings about Reverse polarity, It was an UK make. It turned out that all the power points accross from the Toilets were reverse polarity, it didn't affect the Continental makes. I have a outdoor socket at home wired by a qualified electrician and it is also reverse polarity, I have been using it for years without knowing

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #11
Quote by CHAUSSON

You don't have to go to the Continent to find reverse polarity, We had a Craic meet in Lough Ree East and one of the Motorhomes started sending out warnings about Reverse polarity, It was an UK make. It turned out that all the power points accross from the Toilets were reverse polarity, it didn't affect the Continental makes. I have a outdoor socket at home wired by a qualified electrician and it is also reverse polarity, I have been using it for years without knowing

There you go. Just goes to show.
While reverse polarity won’t affect the running or working of an AC~ appliance as the polarity is switched 50 times a second anyway (50HZ) the danger lies in a plug socket that is reverse polarity wired ....when you switch that socket off you’ve presumed to have switched the ‘live’ off, however the live isn’t switched off as it’s present in the unstitched pin of the plug therefore the appliance has a live current present EVEN IF ITS SWITCHED OFF.
If the appliance was worked on while plugged in and switched off (I know, shouldn’t be) it has the potential to kill.
The only safe way is twin pole switching or the polarity correctly observed in the first place.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2019  ·  #12
Quote by TommyS

I have carried that little plug for years and have a short bit of cable with Male one end and female on the other end. I rewired it to reverse the polarity and if the plug says it's wrong I just add it to my electric cable. I made it so long ago I dont even remember how its wired. Someone on here might be able to help

I havt exactly the same set up. I always keep the polarity checker plugged into socket and can see straight away if polarity correct. The short lead has the live and neutral reversed on the plug end.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2019  ·  #13
Just bought
This,

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Professi…ja939TL92g

Handy to let you know if the volts are correct also as some modern MH's have problems if the volts are below 200v,

EDIT:
Cant get the link function to work (usually I can get it to work)

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2019  ·  #14
It does work.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2019  ·  #15
Quote by Ally

It does work.

It does but I cant get it to this evening 🤪

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2019  ·  #16
The tester or the link? 😂

Link works for me.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2019  ·  #17
I had a problem on one site in France this year. Fridge kept reverting to gas at breakfast time. Only conclusion, it was something to do with the voltage. I have the polarity tester which was fine. Fridge has been perfect since.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2019  ·  #18
Quote by Mark&Wendy

I had a problem on one site in France this year. Fridge kept reverting to gas at breakfast time. Only conclusion, it was something to do with the voltage. I have the polarity tester which was fine. Fridge has been perfect since.

More likely the heavy draw from all the Kettles,Toasters microwaves, shower hot water,every on site firing up at the same time.
When the voltage goes low the fridge brain takes over from all the other ones walking around upright.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2019  ·  #19
Having lived in a house

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.09.2019  ·  #20
European vans seem to have on/off switches in live and neutral, so not a problem as long as you don't stick your hand where it shouldn't go!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.