My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Rural directions in 1970s

· 
Posted: 15.03.2019  ·  #1
How things have changed.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/20…l-ireland/

This reminds me of traveling around Dublin in the early eighties with my Grandfather.
The map in his head used the local pubs as a reference as to when to turn.
But he never drank.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Rural directions in 1970s

· 
Posted: 15.03.2019  ·  #2
Does anyone remember the famous tar barrels filled with concrete ,painted red and white and a sign announcing that major works were about to commence. They were insitu that long that most of the barrel had rusted away exposing the concrete and still no road works. But in those days you could ask for directions and the person would get in the lorry with you to make sure you got there. Also you could get a lift anywhere, try standing on the roadside now with the thumb up.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Rural directions in 1970s

· 
Posted: 15.03.2019  ·  #3
Quote by nilrac

Does anyone remember the famous tar barrels filled with concrete ,painted red and white and a sign announcing that major works were about to commence. They were insitu that long that most of the barrel had rusted away exposing the concrete and still no road works. But in those days you could ask for directions and the person would get in the lorry with you to make sure you got there. Also you could get a lift anywhere, try standing on the roadside now with the thumb up.

I surely do over 40 years ago, I hit 9 of them in a row ,in my 2000 Corsair. one night at Jack Whites , having had a puncture while overtaking, during the 30years of the N11 improvements.
Susie closed her eyes for years after when we passed the same spot.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2019  ·  #4
And me too. Heading up to the unyoke one night, full as an egg. Some smart lad had somehow rolled one half way out onto the road. I was in an old comer van, the one with the wheels tucked under it. When all 9 of us looked at the damage.... in unison we roared.. Coner one tat barrel nil. A bit of a dent, but the barrel was in a hoop

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.03.2019  ·  #5
Quote by sprinter

in my 2000 Corsair.

I had one of those as well Martin, a 2000E automatic, metallic gold with a black vinyl roof, PMI 930 she was a beauty. There was a tear in my eye when I had to sell it. I'd love to find it if it's still around and buy it back, probably couldn't afford it now. I never hit a barrel in it but I did suffer damage to the bonnet when a bullock hopped up and walked across it outside the train station in Waterford.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.