Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

Radiator heating noises

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #1
Good day ladies and gents,

I hope there's a gentle soul out here that might be able to help me with this one.

One of my radiators is making hissing noises when the heating is off and it's driving me mad, it's almost like an air leak sound. I went around all the rads in the house and purge them by opening up the valve, bunch of air went out but after I turn off the heating the noise comes back.

Is it just air trapped in the rad? Will a bleed fix this or do I need to start thinking on new connectors or even a new rad? I don't see any water leaks anywhere near the rad to be honest.

Thank you in advance!!

Rami

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

Re: Radiator heating noises

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #2
Can you pin point where the noise is coming from exactly? Any Raditors cold near the top when the heating is on? Is there Lime in your water? I really don’t know but a bit more information might spark on someone’s light bulb

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #3
Quote by CHAUSSON

Can you pin point where the noise is coming from exactly? Any Raditors cold near the top when the heating is on? Is there Lime in your water? I really don’t know but a bit more information might spark on someone’s light bulb

Hey bud, the noise is most likely coming from the left side of the rad. It's actually cold at the middle bottom portion of the rad, which makes me believe there's air trapped there and need to be bleed completely.

There was a little bit of lime coming out while I was purging the system but now the water seems to be coming out much clear.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #4
Radiator could be full of sludge. You can add some central heating cleaner to your system or get a plumber in to do the job.

You can take the rad off your self, take it outside and flush it out with a hose but it's a messy job.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #5
Quote by Eamonn

Radiator could be full of sludge. You can add some central heating cleaner to your system or get a plumber in to do the job.

You can take the rad off your self, take it outside and flush it out with a hose but it's a messy job.

Yeah, I prefer to do everything myself as much as I can. Don't mind getting my hands dirty :)

I'll check that out, and do a bleed after. That should be it.

Thanks lads!

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #6
It's very messy. If the sludge leaks onto the carpet you'll be sleeping in the camper.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #7
Quote by Eamonn

It's very messy. If the sludge leaks onto the carpet you'll be sleeping in the camper.

LOL

I can get WiFi on the camper, so that's fine :D :D

No carpet thank god, but of course, I'll use a plastic cover, some bins to catch water, towels, etc

Chances are that I'll probably be much more tidy than a plumber and I won't charge me €100 (at least) for it :D

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #8
I'd say you have sludge in the rad and it'll have to come off and be washed out, depending on the size of rad it could be heavy to lift as water will still be in it, reconnecting is the messy part if you don't get it right you'll have leaks

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #9
Just remember on one side you have a knob for turning off the heating.
On the other side the valve has no knob. This only partially opened. It controls the speed of hot water passing through the rad. Remember the number of turns when closing this valve.
After the rad is gone you should fit a garden hose to each pipe, and drain some of the system. Stick the other end of the garden hose outside or down the toilet.
Malcolm

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #10
Quote by Thorn123

On the other side the valve has no knob. This only partially opened. It controls the speed of hot water passing through the rad. Remember the number of turns when closing this valve.
After the rad is gone you should fit a garden hose to each pipe, and drain some of the system. Stick the other end of the garden hose outside or down the toilet.
Malcolm

Thanks bud! Luckily in this particular rad I do have valves both ways so it shouldn't be that bad, it's even right next to the garden door so should be handy enough.

I'll let you know how this goes and possibly ask for a parking spot for my van when I get kicked out my place :D :D

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Radiator heating noises

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #11
Rami it sounds like a blockage .
To remove the rad. Google how to remove rad without draining the system. There are several videos of how to do it, its not a difficult job, something I always do is to put some packing just up to the bottom of the rad on each side out from the skirting maybe like a brick, so when you lift the rad off the hangers and turn it out away from the wall ,all the weight is not resting on the pipes.
after you have closed the valves, always open the bleed valve to release any residual pressure then close it .then before you lift off the rad let some water drain from beside the valves into a container to reduced the leven in the rad a couple of Litre's. If you need any more help PM me with your number and I'll talk you trough it.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #12
Quote by RTV

Quote by Thorn123

Malcolm

Thanks bud! Luckily in this particular rad I do have valves both ways so it shouldn't be that bad, it's even right next to the garden door so should be handy enough.

I'll let you know how this goes and possibly ask for a parking spot for my van when I get kicked out my place :D :D

"it's even right next to the garden door so should be handy enough. "
oooh Rami, thats your first mistake :lol:

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #13
There may be some plumbers on here who can correct me if I’m wrong. Years ago I was advised to plug the pipes in the header tank, possibly the feeder pipe and the one that lets off pressure. I bought 2 big rubber plugs specifically for the job and plugged them It creates a vacuum and you lose less water. I stand to be corrected

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #14
After you remove radiators or draining down you should add Fernox or similar to your header tank to make the new water in the system run smoother by removing sludge and lime calcium deposits. Fernox also do various products to clean out the system. If you have a infared heat recorder ( in Lidel recently) put it on the inlet ,note the temperature and then set your outlet a little below the inlet , this is what the little valve is for. Old plummers used to do it by hand, feeling the inlet and getting the outlet a little cooler, they called it balancing the system

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2019  ·  #15
Well lads, upon further inspection it noticed that the expansion tank was losing water and sure enough on Friday night the water was really going.

So yeah, it was a leak... ended up having to dig a little bit and sure enough, the pipe had a crack. Friend of mine helped me out, we cut the pipe and put a new piece.

All is sorted now, just waiting for the cement to fully dry before putting the wood plants back.

Thanks for your help!

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2019  ·  #16
Quote by RTV

Well lads, upon further inspection it noticed that the expansion tank was losing water and sure enough on Friday night the water was really going.

So yeah, it was a leak... ended up having to dig a little bit and sure enough, the pipe had a crack. Friend of mine helped me out, we cut the pipe and put a new piece.

All is sorted now, just waiting for the cement to fully dry before putting the wood plants back.

Thanks for your help!

As I was reading down through the replies above, I was about to say you might have a leaking pipe or fitting underground, and then I saw your followup confirmed it!
We had the same symptoms in a previous house, we could hear the leaking pipe through the rad but only when it was cold. With the heating on, the hissing would go away. The previous owner had concreted over some compression fittings and one of the fittings had worked loose. Never a good idea to put compression fittings under concrete.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2019  ·  #17
Quote by Blag

Quote by RTV

Thanks for your help!

As I was reading down through the replies above, I was about to say you might have a leaking pipe or fitting underground, and then I saw your followup confirmed it!
We had the same symptoms in a previous house, we could hear the leaking pipe through the rad but only when it was cold. With the heating on, the hissing would go away. The previous owner had concreted over some compression fittings and one of the fittings had worked loose. Never a good idea to put compression fittings under concrete.

In my case, I have two elbows as the pipe is not centered to the rad. One of those connections cracked and it was in direct contact with the concrete. We put some insulation now around all that so it has some flex to expand and contract. :)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.