An Intro, A VW and a (loose) plan

LeeME3
Subject:

An Intro, A VW and a (loose) plan

· 
Posted: 05.03.2019  ·  #1
Only joined the site this morning but finding lots of great info already. Thought I'd best say 'hi' (mods please move this if I've posted in the wrong place!).

So, just yesterday got the go ahead for a month off work in September 2020 - plan is to tour Ireland in a camper van for 3-4 weeks, partly solo but friends / my kids joining me for various bits. Specifically, in my 1986 VW T25 homebrew camper. I've owned 'Snowdrop' for 7 years and had many adventures in her. In my ownership she has gained a pop top (now that is a nerve-wracking DIY job!), lots of solar panels, an LPG conversion and several other upgrades as well as all the mechanical, electrical and bodywork that you have to do to keep an old VW going!

The van is perfectly capable of 'off-grid' camping although I quite like the odd night on a bigger site to take advantage of things like showers, porcelain toilets and the like.

No real agenda yet so really just wanted to drop in and say 'hi' and no doubt I'll be using the forum for advice and most likely asking a few dumb questions so bear with me.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: An Intro, A VW and a (loose) plan

· 
Posted: 05.03.2019  ·  #2
Hi Lee welcome to MHC good to hear your enjoying your van feel free to ask for any help you need here

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2019  ·  #3
Hi Lee.
Welcome to mhc.
There is a world of information here to help your plans.
We have an app called Motorhome parking Ireland which cost less than the price of a fish and chips. Nearly a thousand locations on it now including, commercial campsite, aires, and other safe location for overnight parking.
You mentioned that family and friends may be joining part of your journey and it's worth looking at some of regional airports for them to fly in and out.
Anyway, fire in a few questions and they shall be answered.
Best of luck,
Malcolm

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2019  ·  #4
Welcome Lee,
Congratulations on finding the number 1 site for motorhoming. As said previously, you will get lots of tips and help if you need it.
And certainly take a look at the motorhomeparking ireland app, you will find all you need when it comes to aires, sites, pubs with stopovers, lpg suppliers etc.
Be sure to keep us updated on your progress through ireland.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2019  ·  #5
Welcome Lee.
As stated, tons of info here.
Ask questions, advice or anything else.
An answer is only a post away....

Enjoy Ireland and keep us updated.

LeeME3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2019  ·  #6
Thanks all! Quick question...does the app show LPG in terms of vehicle filling as well as gas bottles? The T25 is LPG converted which halves the fuel cost obviously (well, at English LPG vs petrol prices anyway). I can still run on petrol but clearly prefer the cheaper stuff when the option is there!

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2019  ·  #7
The app shows the LPG pumps at the filling stations. They are not widespread.

Bottled gas is available everywhere...... you’ll need an adaptor to convert from UK to ROI types for the bottles, I’ll post a link up for the type.

The LPG pump adaptor is different from the UK one too, the Irish use the acme threaded type, Northern Ireland use the bayonet same as the UK.

No worries regarding gas.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #8
Welcome Lee. Have a look at the Wild Atlantic Way site. Great route to follow and lots to see. Are you planning to start in the Dublin or Belfast direction.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.