The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Insurance post March 29th 2019

· 
Posted: 19.02.2019  ·  #1
Is there an official word on cross border insurance cover on March 29th?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Craicfest

· 
Posted: 19.02.2019  ·  #2
Quote by The Rambler

Is there an official word on cross border insurance cover on March 29th?

There is no official word on anything after 29th of March.
I intend to contact my insurance company, next week for a green card. I might as well jump into the queue.
Malcolm

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

Re: Craicfest

· 
Posted: 19.02.2019  ·  #3
Quote by Thorn123

There is no official word on anything after 29th of March.
I intend to contact my insurance company, next week for a green card. I might as well jump into the queue.
Malcolm

So does the green card cover us, and are our insurance companies obliged to supply them Malcom?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Re: Insurance post Brexit ... questions?

· 
Posted: 19.02.2019  ·  #4
A tight rein is held on all Brexit issues here.
Let's wait and allow the politicians to do their thing.
At the moment, green card insurance certs are issued by eu based insurance companies for vehicles traveling outside of Europe. This would be for places like Russia, etc.
Recently, the Irish insurance Federation released a press statement that they have placed an order with a printer for green cards.
There is alot of smoke and hot air been blown about Brexit and please let it clear before discussion start.
Malcolm

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2019  ·  #5
As I have said previously ,This is only giving Insurance Companies a chance to up the price, My question would be, no matter what government or customs rules change , what is the increased risk driving on the same roads ,with the same traffic and the same people on the pavements. After all that is what insurance is for, the risk and for this, all is required is addition to your policy to include GB and vice versa. This is a way of bringing back the green card and charging a good wack for it. Now if you were going to Algeria or Russia then you would need it

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2019  ·  #6
There is alot of smoke and hot air been blown about Brexit and please let it clear before discussion start.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #7
Gentlemen Moderators , can you clarify your last inputs please on this blog ,Rambler was asking a Question about insurance. The only people who introduced the word Brexit was yourselves. I and so many others who live on the borderline and cross the Frontier on a daily basis makes this an important to us. I think Rambler is worthy of his answers

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #8
Basically Patrick talk to your insurance companies car/ van now as you will need a green card to prove you have insurance some companies are charging most aren't,,, and I didn't mention Brxxxt once there 😁😁

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #9
Thank you for your reply Eirebus, I curious to know why you closed the blog, the use of green cards and Permits where a day to day operation in my office when I was dispatching vehicles to Europe before the common market came into being, I even held permits to cross the Russian zone in Germany to access Berlin,so they wont be a worry to me. I was bringing up the averice of Insurance Companies so that the younger craicers could be aware.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #10
Leaving the moderator hat off for a moment or two.
I remember a millennium bug that was going to shut down every computer at 23.59.59 on 31/12/99.
Some time after that the Irish Government issued iodine tables for a possible radiation infection but these had only a 6 months shelf life.
10.5 years ago, Irish banks were stuffed with cash, sure what could go wrong ?
The current geo political situation is a hugh concern for everyone. My heart goes out to those whose lives are intertwined between north and south.
Every online news site has a dedicated Brexit section filled with articles by "experts and consultants", on possible consequences of Brexit.
The Eu has a long history of burning the midnight oil in organising a political comprise on all big deals, like CAP, environmental targets and so forth.
Politicians will always muddle along until they find the path of least resistance.
Moderator hat is back on.
Mhc is about dealing with Motorhome related topics with the best factual information available hence why topics are checked regularly for authenticity.
As Eirebus has pointed out, your insurance company is the best outfit to advise with regard to cross border traveling after March 29th.
When you have received clarification, please do inform mhc of such.
Malcolm

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #11
I must say I agree with Nilrac. I thought it an abrupt end to the post considering Malcolm was the first person to mention The B word. I don’t believe it was a divisive or sensitive issue persay, until suddenly... it was. However I do appreciate that some of our esteemed moderators are quite new to the task, and we may need to get used to the new sheriffs in town. 🤠

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Insurance post Brexit ... questions?

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #12
Quote by Daffysparks

I must say I agree with Nilrac. I thought it an abrupt end to the post considering Malcolm was the first person to mention The B word. I don’t believe it was a divisive or sensitive issue persay, until suddenly... it was. However I do appreciate that some of our esteemed moderators are quite new to the task, and we may need to get used to the new sheriffs in town. 🤠

Not exactly correct David the topic heading is
And let's face it everyone knows what after the 29th of March means.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #13
Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #14
I stand corrected on that point lads. I still feel it was a little premature, but thank Christ I don’t have to make those decisions

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #15
I do admit that I did put a halt to the genuine original question asked.
Yes, I will contact my insurance company next week and ask them for my requirements for outside of Eu travel.
And likewise it would be prudent for others to do so.
My main reason for halting the discussion, was due to the amount of misinformation that is been circulated around by the Brexit media circus.
If anyone here who has sought clarification for insurance, please come forward and let us know about your results.
If my action has offended anyone, please accept my apologies.
Mhc runs on open, honest and truthfully dialogue, so lads, let the truth win out on this one.
Malcolm

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #16
Quote by sprinter

Not exactly correct David the topic heading is

Well actually Martin, that’s not quite correct either. I had not mentioned the B word. I had asked the question I asked under the topic of ‘Craicfest’ , which subsequently got moved, quite rightly, to a different thread under the title “Insurance Post Brexit ... questions?” I did not create the title.

Thanks for creating a different thread ROBANDSUE. It was not my intention to hijack the Craicfest thread with issues to do with Brexit and insurance. Nor is it my intention to start a political debate on Brexit. My question is purely pragmatic, not political. There might just be an event I would like to travel to up north of March 29th 🧐. Surely it makes sense to discuss such matters on a motorhome forum?

Anyway, my question has been pretty much answered for now. The prevailing advice for now is to inform your insurance company and look for a green card certificate. I have no doubt this topic may well evolve as more information comes to light. Thanks all.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #17
Lads,

Life is too short, its Thursday night calm down and let the b word run its course,

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #18
This is all a bit like Merry Go Rounds :D . Now dose that remind you of anything :-/ .

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.02.2019  ·  #19
Firstly lads, it wasn’t Malcolm who split the thread and give it a new heading with the B****t word in it... it was me... a mistake on my part.
Now amended.

We’re all guessing at the outcome post 29th March, let’s not get all caught up in a discussion we know little of..... let the people who get paid to do such things sort it out, that’s the politicians..... their track record in such matters leaves little to be desired.

Keep the thread factual, keep it to the matters concerned and keep it about motorhoming.

The B****t word is controversial, let’s leave it out of our debates.

Post 29th March I’ll still be motorhoming, I’ll still cross the border (daily in my case)
And travel the whole of Ireland in the Motorhome.... come what may that will not change.

As previously stated..... life is too short.... this forum required very little input from the mods and we’ll try and keep it that way.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

Re: Insurance post March 29th 2019

· 
Posted: 22.02.2019  ·  #20
sorry if i am flogging a dead horse here, but this is the reply from my ins company on the subject,

campers
12:08 (1 minute ago)
to me

Good Morning Robert

Thank you for your email

Yes, indeed, there are a number of issues that will arise when the Brexit Deal is finalized.

There will be different scenarios for a Deal or No Deal.

In relation to Green Cards and your camper van policy, all I need is the dates that you plan to travel, and a Green Card for that period can be issued.

Thanks for the enquiry and I hope this is helpful

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.02.2019  ·  #21
Whilst Renewing my policy today with Dolmens acting as agents for Axa ,I spoke with a lady and asked what will be the position after 29th March and she said, until there is a clear policy from Westminster they cannot say but there are plans for different senarios. I did get the renewal for under £300 fully comp same as last year. I thought this good value for an 8o+. There was a item on the Northern Ireland news saying that any resident in the Republic driving on an UK licence must exchange it for an Irish one as it will be no longer legal. Any resident from the UK driving in the Republic with a UK licence is not affected by this. Anybody needing to change were advised to do it a.s.a.p to avoid the backlog

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Insurance post March 29th 2019

· 
Posted: 23.02.2019  ·  #22
Patrick. Can you shed a little light on
"I did get the renewal for under £300 fully comp same as last year. "
Are you paying in Sterling ?. That's €345. Is it for only 1driver.
I paid €410 last year for open drive.
What I find strange is if Dolmen/Axa and I presume Stuarts/Aviva can operate in two jurisdictions why can't others do it in reverse.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.02.2019  ·  #23
From my reading of the last communication from Dolmen, they proposed to split their policy (serviced by AXA) if necessary. Clients in the ROI would continue to be underwritten by AXA Ireland and those of us in Northern Ireland would have our policy underwritten by AXA UK. The communication seemed to imply that on the surface nothing would change for clients in both countries.

My renewal is not until May, so I don’t know what the premium will be.

We will be away from early April, but I dont expect any issues. Coincidentally, the green card that Dolmen issue seems to be printed on the reverse of the certificate of insurance, so I don’t think a separate one is required at present.

Davy

TippOff
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.02.2019  ·  #24
Must look at the reverse of my Axa Certificate !

scotgard
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Adria Twin
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Maxi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.02.2019  ·  #25
There was a item on the Northern Ireland news saying that any resident in the Republic driving on an UK licence must exchange it for an Irish one as it will be no longer legal. Any resident from the UK driving in the Republic with a UK licence is not affected by this. Anybody needing to change were advised to do it a.s.a.p to avoid the backlog.

In relation to the driving licence post 29th March the issue will be in relation to a UK resident moving to Ireland or an Irish driver moving to UK and exchanging their licence for one in their new country of residence. Currently a UK licence can be exchanged for an Irish licence without any test etc. Post 29th March this set up is unlikely to continue if UK departs the EU, so anybody resident in Republic driving on a UK licence should consider exchanging it before D day. Both licences will continue to be legal for touring or business in either jurisdiction. The joys of bureaucracy

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2019  ·  #26
I just received the following e-mail from Dolmens tonight at 19.49.

In the event of a no-deal xxxxxx the driving licence of a UK licence holder living here in Ireland will not be recognised and the driver will not be able to continue to drive here in Ireland on that licence. We urge all of our affected clients to exchange their UK licence for an Irish licence as soon as possible. There is currently an approximate turnaround time of 17 days for exchanging licences, but this may increase with a sudden increase of requests.
Whilst a UK licence can currently be exchanged for an Irish (EU licence), there are no guarantees that this rule won’t change. Some other licences (such as the USA) cannot be exchanged, forcing drivers onto learner permits and all that entails (theory test, 12 certified professional lessons, and full test)”

Please see the link below for the official National Driving Licence Service statement on the matter.

https://www.ndls.ie/news/149-brexit-update.html
I have redirected the mail as seen so as not to start the debate all over again.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2019  ·  #27
I got the same. Absolutely zero information about insurance though.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2019  ·  #28
TippOff
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2019  ·  #29
We got it too

MickyMac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Giottiline T38
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2019  ·  #30
Most insurance policies state that you must have a valid drivers license to be covered by that policy. Difficulty would be, that if the license is deemed to be invalid by the insurance company and you have to make a claim, the insurance company could refuse to pay out.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2019  ·  #31
The tax is up on my motorhome tomorrow and as I was renewing it I realised my insurance is due in 7 days time and I didnt receive a renewal notice.

Taxed the vehicle and phoned my insurance company re the insurance renewal. Here's a summary of my experience and answers to questions.

Firstly, I'm in Co Antrim, so Northern Ireland.

Insurer is Adrian Flux (Dolmen refused to cover me for my tow car, Flux did and were also cheaper than Dolmen) 10,000 miles per year.

Q Where's my renewal letter?
A We emailed it to you on the 19th, as that's your preferred method of contact.

Q Didnt get it, or maybe I accidentally deleted it. Please post everything in future.
A OK.

Q So what's the renewal figure?
A £229.04, fully comp 2 years NCB, but its with a different company this year called Trinity Lane.

Q Please double check with them I can still tow my tow-car with Smart Tow system and confirm my motorbike and Easylifter system is covered.
A Please hold... yes both still covered.

Q Now, I've heard a lot about travelling South after the B word. What's their advice?
A Please hold, we will ask them...... Not sure what's gonna happen, sure even the governments don't know whats happening. At present we ask that you tell us every time you are crossing the border and a green card will be issued.

Q Even if its loads of times?
A Yes. Sorry, we know it's not convenient, but hopefully something more permanent can be arranged and we will let you know.

Paid them the very reasonable fee and am more than happy with them.

Just by the by, I have a car arrived in Dublin docks today, personal import from Japan. Rang my car insurer today to try to get it covered.
(It's not the usual Japanese import, she is a Volkswagen Touran, exact same spec as a European car)
My insurer refused to cover me and told me very few companies would look at it.

Whilst on hold with Adrian Flux I heard a recording saying they cover import cars. So as soon as I renewed the motorhome insurance, I asked about my import.
10 minutes later they have offered me insurance for £575.
Too dear.... what about trimming the mileage down to 5000 per year... £500.
So I have insured the import with them also. Don't have a NCB for the import as it is being used on the family car, but they have mirrored the discount as an introductory bonus.

I know Flux gets some bad press, but in my case, I needed someone to allow me to tow or carry a bike. And then the Jap import that nobody wants.

I got cover at a very reasonable price, but Lord knows what will happen when companies are being asked for loads of green cards.
Think I will just ask for a 30 day card at a timeover the summer months.

(The tow car might be offered up for sale on here soon if anybody is interested, as I need to make room for the new Touran on the driveway. 6 vehicles plus the wife's car. Think I might have an addiction)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.