StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Break in at Santander aire

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #1
I’m at camping Perlora near Gijon. My next intended stop over is the aire at Santander. I met a couple yesterday from Belfast who have come from the aire at Santander recently who had their van broken into whilst they were out. Luckily not too much taken and entry point rear window now fixed. There were other vans at the aire who didn’t see or hear anything. Police dusted for prints and concluded gloves were worn. Police also stated this was only reported break in they have had at the aire.
My guess is there were seen arriving on the ferry, thief knew they would have all their valuables and waited for them to leave their van and made a quick smash and grab. Or just plain bad luck.
If we do still use the aire one of us will remain with the van whilst the other walks the dog.
I know this can happen any where but ports seem to be more common.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

Re: Break in at Santander aire

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #2
We were at that Aire last month for a few day's due to Ferry cancelled. I have to say it felt completely safe and in a nice area with the university behind. Break ins can happen anywhere and I'm not surprised it's the first reported break in. Cant believe no other van's seen anything. We left our 2 collies in the van when we went out for a meal etc but they bark like lunatics whenever they hear strangers coming close to the van. I would have no hesitation staying there again in the future.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #3
Quote by panda

We were at that Aire last month for a few day's due to Ferry cancelled. I have to say it felt completely safe and in a nice area with the university behind. Break ins can happen anywhere and I'm not surprised it's the first reported break in. Cant believe no other van's seen anything. We left our 2 collies in the van when we went out for a meal etc but they bark like lunatics whenever they hear strangers coming close to the van. I would have no hesitation staying there again in the future.

I think the people who I spoke said there were 4 other vans all Spanish. They backed into their space and the window used to gain entry was plastic so little or no noise.
I think it just highlights you need to take care.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #4
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

I think the people who I spoke said there were 4 other vans all Spanish. They backed into their space and the window used to gain entry was plastic so little or no noise.
I think it just highlights you need to take care.

I've always felt camper vans would be too easy to break into anyway.....We all lock our doors but the reality is the van has flimsy plastic windows that can be easily breached.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #5
I've got a separate

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #6
Quote by witzend

I've got a separate wireless household Yale PIR alarm for vans interior sensors in view siren on roof easy to fit as all wireless with separate battery's which last 2 yrs

How would it work with dogs on board?
Surely the dog movements would set it off.
Malcolm

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #7
When our dog is on board, she’s the alarm! :D

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #8
We.ve stayed HERE a couple of times, it's convenient to the ferry and if you have a day to spare there is an hourly train to/from the city.

The negative comments seem to apply only when there was some refurbishment of the station taking place.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2019  ·  #9
I surprised him once when he was sleeping an it bit me

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.