Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

inverter wiring

· 
Posted: 02.05.2018  ·  #1
So how do you guys have your inverters wired up?

Do you have it simply connected to the battery and you plug your 230v appliance directly into the inverter?

Or

Do you have it wired in such a way that you can flip a changeover switch on your mains distribution panel to feed from the inverter to a couple of dedicated sockets in the camper?

Or

maybe you've installed a couple of additional sockets that are from the inverter only?

Inquisitive minds want to know! :-)

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: inverter wiring

· 
Posted: 02.05.2018  ·  #2
Mine wired through a changeover switch Kevin, power to all sockets....

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2018  ·  #3
tried the power to all sockets through a relay but it didnt work as it imitated a mains supply and the built in charger was then trying to charge what it was depleting. I changed it over to additional sockets and turn it on only when necessary

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2018  ·  #4
Quote by the fat controller

tried the power to all sockets through a relay but it didnt work as it imitated a mains supply and the built in charger was then trying to charge what it was depleting. I changed it over to additional sockets and turn it on only when necessary

Good point.

Perpetual charging would be great only for that darn physics getting in the way... :lol:

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2018  ·  #5
Like JJF i fitted a changeover switch and took the fridge and battery charger out of the circuit. When its on Mains it feeds everything but the inverter only feeds the sockets. I also have a couple of extra sockets for convenience (which are fed off the main board so live on mains and inverter) but have to keep reminding the family not to go overboard on whats plugged in.

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.05.2018  ·  #6
Fed mine through changeover relay. Once inverter is turned on the relay pulls in and changes supply to socket circuits only. Eliminates the need for a changeover switch.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.05.2018  ·  #7
Quote by Erazmus

Fed mine through changeover relay. Once inverter is turned on the relay pulls in and changes supply to socket circuits only. Eliminates the need for a changeover switch.

Interesting way to do it. Do you know how much current the relay pulls when it's active? Any more info about the relay?

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.05.2018  ·  #8
That was the way mine was supposed to be wired but unfortunately it was done from the inverter and the input supply from an EHU point, so it allowed the inverter to try and power the charger. As I am no spark I decided to take it out as the whole thing was supplying to much power to something which I didnt want powered.

Kevin, I think I still have the relay if you want it I can post it to you and you can figure it out/try it as it is of no use to me.

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2018  ·  #9
The relay pulls very little current. Have'nt measured it but it would be only milliamps. On ehu the circuits are fed through the normally closed contacts. The relay just activates when the inverter gets supply and feeds the circuits through the normally open contacts of the relay. It just eliminates the need for the changeover switch.

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #10
Quote by JJF

Mine wired through a changeover switch Kevin, power to all sockets....

I tried also quoting subsequent posts but unable to manage it.

As indicated in my recent post on "Charging an EBike" I purchased a 1500w pure sine wave inverter. Now comes the tricky bit of fitting it correctly. My batteries (2x100ah) are fitted under the bench seat (rear passenger) and this is where I would want to fit the inverter. I also purchased a 200amp Inline mega fuse + holder and an additional short cable for this. I had initially planned on plugging a 13a lead into the inverter socket and running this to a new outlet. However it would be handier if I could just utilise the existing sockets. My main circuit board is in the garage so would it still be feasible to have the changeover switch fitted and how do I do it.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #11
I would be inclined to keep the two circuits separate.
You would never get caught with the batteries been flattened by a hair dryer or something else.
Just my opinion.
By the way, the nearer the inverter is to the batteries is better, less conductive loses with low voltage.
Malcolm

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #12
I have a waeco 1500 watt inverter. I have it wired to a separate cbe socket fitted into a panel near the door. As Malcolm said, this way I can monitor swmbo’s use of hairdryer etc. I also wired the inverter on/off switch through a spare switch in the main panel, that way it is easy to see (with indicator light) if it has been left on inadvertently. An inverter will use power, if on, even if nothing is being used through it.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #13
Quote by Daffysparks

I have a waeco 1500 watt inverter. I have it wired to a separate cbe socket fitted into a panel near the door. As Malcolm said, this way I can monitor swmbo’s use of hairdryer etc. I also wired the inverter on/off switch through a spare switch in the main panel, that way it is easy to see (with indicator light) if it has been left on inadvertently. An inverter will use power, if on, even if nothing is being used through it.

What gauge cable do you wire on battery to inverter David?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #14
I used 35 sq mm. The cable run is approximately 1.5 metres. Ample for 1500 watts, especially as it’s a very intermittent loading.

augharan
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Bailey Approach 745
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer Euro 5 2.2 Hdi 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #15
Just fitted one of these I bought on Gumtree. Ex Virgin media service van's. £200

Cotek SK2000 212 2000w pure sine wave inverter.
The seller says =
This is one of the best brands you can get...
Other well know manufacturers such as Vectron energy, Mastervolt, Senergix, Waeco all rebrand Cotek inverters.
Accessories: 30cm DC 50mm2 cable included.

Getting Andre, ( Bleakley Leisure Services ) to fit a changeover relay for me as I am not well up in electrics.
I have it wired to just one socket at present.
Boiled the kettle on it half a dozen times at the weekend, will hopefully get more use out of it in the summer.

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2019  ·  #16
Quote by Daffysparks

I got a remote control with the inverter and when connected the inverter switch is left in the off position. Will that do away with the need for a separate on/off switch.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2019  ·  #17
It sounds like it would. I presume the remote switches on and off the inverter instead of going to the switch to do it. Does the switch switch it on and off also. Are you sure the switch is in the off position and that the remote will still operate it. If so, you should be fine

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2019  ·  #18
Quote by Daffysparks

It sounds like it would. I presume the remote switches on and off the inverter instead of going to the switch to do it. Does the switch switch it on and off also. Are you sure the switch is in the off position and that the remote will still operate it. If so, you should be fine

Yeah, as per the instructions you leave inverter switch in the off position and operate it through the remote.
I’m still keen on fitting it via a changeover relay setup if at all possible.

Gabriele

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2019  ·  #19
The output is AC so cannot just be "connected in parallel with existing supply" because it needs to be in phase as well as matching the voltage to get current flowing in the direction required. In this case the invertor will almost certainly blow fuses dramatically (and that is the best outcome you can expect). Even if it could be paralleled this would lead to power back feeding from your inverter to the supply lines when the supply fails, a hazard for workers.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.