planning a visit

Old School
My Motorhome: Adria
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

planning a visit

· 
Posted: 05.10.2018  ·  #1
As I mentioned in my introductory post, I'm planning to visit ROI in July next year. It will be my first ever visit.

As things are right now, plans are to take the ferry from Holyhead to get there, and then, at the end of the visit, use the ferry from Rosslare to take me over to France. The duration of the trip should be around 6 or 7 complete days there. One thing that I would like to do is visit Louisbergh in Co. Mayo. I used to know a family there but we lost touch some 45 or more years ago. Of course, it would be fantastic if I could meet up with them again, but really, I just want to see the area in which they lived.

Bearing in mind the three points mentioned, and time allowance, can anyone suggest places to visit on the trip?

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Re: planning a visit

· 
Posted: 05.10.2018  ·  #2
First thing about roads in Ireland. Our motorway network is improving but it's not perfect so allow plenty of time to get anywhere.

Assuming you head straight to Louisburgh and overnight there, a drive through Connemara, Leenaun, Clifden and around the coast into Galway City. Then down through Clare, Cliffs of Moher, Doolin, take the ferry across the Shannon from Kilimer to Tarbert and down into Kerry. Ring of Kerry, Dingle etc.
Loads of places to stay / see on the App and head via Cork / Cobh to Rosslare

I'd add at least another week to make a decent trip of it

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2018  ·  #3
Quote by Old School

As I mentioned in my introductory post, I'm planning to visit ROI in July next year. It will be my first ever visit.

As things are right now, plans are to take the ferry from Holyhead to get there, and then, at the end of the visit, use the ferry from Rosslare to take me over to France. The duration of the trip should be around 6 or 7 complete days there. One thing that I would like to do is visit Louisbergh in Co. Mayo. I used to know a family there but we lost touch some 45 or more years ago. Of course, it would be fantastic if I could meet up with them again, but really, I just want to see the area in which they lived.

Bearing in mind the three points mentioned, and time allowance, can anyone suggest places to visit on the trip?

When you get to Dublin port get some wings fitted to your MH that way you may get to see a bit of Ireland in your allocated time.
No seriously it really depends on how much driving you want to do as you route takes in 3 of the 4 sides of Ireland. And in Ireland there is no rushing it’s not like GB where everyone is in a hurry. There is simply far too much to see and do. Book a flexible ticket from Rosslare to France just to be on the safe side it only costs about £10 on Stena.

Old School
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2018  ·  #4
I've just added my location after realising it would be a good idea!

The big problem about adding time is that the trip is likely to take me 4 days in each direction. About 14 or 15 dys is the maximum I can be away at present.

If the pace there is slow, try coming here! In Spain, if there is no rush to do anything, they have a word, "manana." Roughly, it means tomorrow. We dont have that word here, because we dont rush that much.

Now to check out the suggestions so far.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2018  ·  #5
Are you coming from Spain or as your profile says Sweden?
If Spain check Santander to Cork Ferry.
All of a sudden you have several extra days.
Quote by Old School

I've just added my location after realising it would be a good idea!

The big problem about adding time is that the trip is likely to take me 4 days in each direction. About 14 or 15 dys is the maximum I can be away at present.

If the pace there is slow, try coming here! In Spain, if there is no rush to do anything, they have a word, "manana." Roughly, it means tomorrow. We dont have that word here, because we dont rush that much.

Now to check out the suggestions so far.

Old School
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2018  ·  #6
From Sweden. I'll take one way there, and a different one back.

I think the small joke I made was a bit confusing!

garden girl
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #7
you could include a few hours at Kylemore Abbey & Victorian Walled Garden , I haven't been myself but it looks lovely.
The Total Gardens Ireland app will show you the location with links etc.

derm41
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Bailey advance 66 2
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #8
If you like walking you could climb Croke Patrick in Westport (near louisberg) lovely views. The burren in Clare is a must see and if you are a confident driver the ring of Kerry and Killarney are beautiful. If you went north instead of south from louisberg, Donegal, Derry and the giants causeway are all worth seeing. Enjoy, it’s a lovely place

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #9
If you are looking for a good stopover, about 3 hours from Rosslare, you could do worse than stopping for a night at the Aire in Cobh. A tenner a night, all services except EHU and a lovely stroll along the boardwalk to Cobh, about 15 minutes. Loads of great pubs, restaurants and things to see. And if the weather is as good as it was last year, theres a nice pub on the seafront where you can get food and beer, sitting on the decking looking out at the boats coming and going.

PDK
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner A647
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #10
Quote by ROBANDSUE

If you are looking for a good stopover, about 3 hours from Rosslare, you could do worse than stopping for a night at the Aire in Cobh. A tenner a night, all services except EHU and a lovely stroll along the boardwalk to Cobh, about 15 minutes. Loads of great pubs, restaurants and things to see. And if the weather is as good as it was last year, theres a nice pub on the seafront where you can get food and beer, sitting on the decking looking out at the boats coming and going.

Waters edge is the hotel restaurant bar and it is lovely also spoke island tour is very enjoyable. Good thing about Ireland 🇮🇪 there’s plenty of things to do no matter what the weather brings

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #11
If you are looking to try and contact people around Louisbergh in Co. Mayo, if you want to PM me the info you have,I have a few contact's around that area I could make some inquiries for you.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.