Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Home security

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #1
I am involved with our local residents committee and last Wednesday night I was dragged to a local community policing meeting.
Surprisingly, I found it quite interesting and picked up a few tips.
Firstly as motorhomer, we are gone a good bit, so the house needs to be secure. In fairness to the regional crime officer giving the presentation he was very pragmatic with simple solutions.
Good neighbours was essential. Move the car daily, bring in bins and put out bins, even empty ones, etc.
Avail of the insulation grants, and upgrade the windows and door to triple glaze and insulated composite doors. Both have 7 point locking and give the window fitter a few extra euro, the outer pane will be laminated to avoid smashing.
Light the place up like a xmas tree but one step further. Have motion sensor lights outside but also fit in a timer switch with a 10 minutes on every so often. Very often a kid is sent in for a response, but the occasional light on can confuse the watcher.

Of course the gold plated, motion detection alarm with live monitoring got a good talk.

Marking your mobile property, power tools, etc. Use your eircode/ postage code. A simple 6 or 7 digit code engraved into your property in a visible area renders the resale value void.

The most important point made all night, don't shoot anyone. That is the armed response unit job.

Hopefully others here will throw in a few other points to help us to secure our properties and then a list can be made, much to Ally's delight !!!!!

Malcolm

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Re: Home security

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #2
Some good and useful information there. Is the "most important point" up for negotiation ? I'm sure the armed response unit are overworked these days and we should help them out when we can. :D :D :lol:

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #3
Some very good points there Malcolm, did they mention Dogs? We have a German Shepard, a Elk Hound and a Gun. touch wood we were never touched but our neighbors on both sides of us have been targeted on a few occasions.
Security while away in the van is always a concern, we always store the van out of sight so when away it is not missed and the cars are in the yard. I usually take a back road avoiding going through the local village when going away in the Van too

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Home security

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #4
Don't park out front in plain view and spend hours loading up.
Leave home at busy traffic times the watchers won't be around.
Don't inform the whole world you are going to the Costa's.
If parking up for a while think about putting your driving wheels on axle stands just barely off the ground.
If you are flying,don't pull your case down to the nearest bus or train stop.
You would be amazed at the amount of people I see dragging cases to the Blue bus or standing in the middle of the town discussing their holiday plans with every passing acquaintance.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #5
Like Chausson we have 2 dogs, a monitored alarm,and we have sensor lights around the house. Both houses on either side of were done, and no one seen anything. On one side, the house was broken into when our neighbour went to collect his granddaughter from school. He was gone approx 25 minutes. Scum got away with a couple of grand in cash, holiday money he had only taken out of the credit union. I thought that highly suspicious.
On the other side, side window was jemmied and house was upended, but didnt get much. Those neighbours, with young kidsfound it hard to settle in for a long time after. Took the cops 2 days to turn up to both houses to do forensics, so i wouldnt be depending on the ARU to come round and shoot your burglar.
Our dogs go ballistic once or twice during the year, during the early hours, so i presume we have visitors. I totally agree about the not shooting them, tazer works nicely.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #6
I have a couple of Philips Hue light bulbs. They screw in to light fixtures as normal but connect to your WiFi network. I can then control them from my phone app, either while connected on the same WiFi or over my normal mobile network when away from home.

And the programmable routines on the app are handy. You can set lights to come on and off with some amount of randomness.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #7
One of THESE and a few of THESE are an excellent combination.
You can have a two-way conversation via the doorbell with anyone who approaches, (as seen on TV).
The Arlo units are excellent for remote positioning and can give a full view of the house and gardens as no wiring is required, the batteries (rechargeable) last up to three months depending on how often the camera is activated by the built-in motion sensor and whether or not the infrared is turned on.

Oh! and of course a properly maintained alarm system which is monitored by a professional monitoring company.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #8
Quote by ROBANDSUE

tazer works nicely.

That's shocking :o :-) Pity you can't get a licence and buy one in this country.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #9
"Did they mention dogs"
Yes, along with a list of prohibited breeds, dog controls including considering your neighbours mental health for continuous barking dogs. The feeling of the meeting was that smaller dog breeds were sharper at detection.

The duty of care under the occupiers act ( can't remember the particular law) basic outline that the property owner has a duty of care towards all people entering their property. Gone is the razor wire, broken glass cemented into the wall, etc.

The telephone system of garda stations has been reorganised. Should your local station fail to answer, your call will be transferred to a central call centre and your query or report will be logged onto the pulse system.

Malcolm

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #10
Quote by ROBANDSUE

Like Chausson we have 2 dogs, a monitored alarm,and we have sensor lights around the house. Both houses on either side of were done, and no one seen anything. On one side, the house was broken into when our neighbour went to collect his granddaughter from school. He was gone approx 25 minutes. Scum got away with a couple of grand in cash, holiday money he had only taken out of the credit union. I thought that highly suspicious.
On the other side, side window was jemmied and house was upended, but didnt get much. Those neighbours, with young kidsfound it hard to settle in for a long time after. Took the cops 2 days to turn up to both houses to do forensics, so i wouldnt be depending on the ARU to come round and shoot your burglar.
Our dogs go ballistic once or twice during the year, during the early hours, so i presume we have visitors. I totally agree about the not shooting them, tazer works nicely.

A Rob, are you serious about not shooting them, the consensus down my way is you shoot them first and then fire the warning shot but the important thing is you don't shoot them in the back :lol: All jokes a side there are people living alone in rural Ireland that are terrified in there homes, there are old boys out there that will shoot first and I wouldn't condemn them, after all visitors on their property in the middle of the night aren't coming with an Apple tart. I have been at meetings locally and the advice Malcolm got certainly wouldn't wash down my way. Then again there are no children to wander on to property here or neighbours near to be kept awake by the dogs.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #11
Padraig Nally has not been bothered since 👍🏻

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #12
Aye, ‘googly eyed Nelly’ is probably the last sight a robber would see up this way too !

Sligoer
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #13
I think it's different in rural areas where, as chausson says, if someone is on your property at night it's not because they stumbled off the footpath. We're fairly remote here and we're plagued with thefts thankfully we haven't been targeted but we have 2 large dogs and CCTV. I know people who some conveniently placed heavy blunt objects dotted around their property!

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #14
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by ROBANDSUE

A Rob, are you serious about not shooting them, the consensus down my way is you shoot them first and then fire the warning shot but the important thing is you don't shoot them in the back :lol: All jokes a side there are people living alone in rural Ireland that are terrified in there homes, there are old boys out there that will shoot first and I wouldn't condemn them, after all visitors on their property in the middle of the night aren't coming with an Apple tart. I have been at meetings locally and the advice Malcolm got certainly wouldn't wash down my way. Then again there are no children to wander on to property here or neighbours near to be kept awake by the dogs.

Pat,
sometimes we need to cover ourselves for legal purposes 8-)

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #15
Quote by Sligoer

I know people who some conveniently placed heavy blunt objects dotted around their property!

🤔

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #16
I have dogs, a smart integrated alarm and cameras... all of these are merely deterrents.

If they want to get in and take my stuff, they will anyways. But, the idea is to make it as difficult as possible so they'll choose an easier target instead.

I still see neighbors leaving their cars unlocked, their belonging right out in the open and blinds wide open for everyone to see the empty house... just a matter of having a little bit of common sense and a lot of luck I guess.

davetherave
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #17
When I was growing up in rural West of Ireland our front door lock didn’t work. Was that way for years😃

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #18
Seen a device which was essentially a multi-coloured light which mimicked the reflections from a television so that Mr. Burglar would think someone is watching telly. Keep away from direct line of sight.

If someone was worried about letting fly with a shotgun blast it might be possible, ahem!, to remove the lead shot and replace it with rice, (uncooked), or rock salt which I imagine would sting a bit.

Wonder is there anything that might make a noise like a shotgun?

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #19
probably a starter pistol

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #20
Quote by AliPhatCamper

Wonder is there anything that might make a noise like a shotgun?

Should think popping the blisters on ones arse if they were ever shot with uncooked rice or rock salt would make quite a bang 🤣.

Rock salt was regularly used to shoot dogs to keep them away.... bound to smart a bit.

raglanroad
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Campeo 600 pop top
Base Vehicle: 2020 ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #21
some good advice there
dawn to dusk lighting is a much better job than sensor lighting

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #22
[quote="Thorn123"]

The duty of care under the occupiers act ( can't remember the particular law) basic outline that the property owner has a duty of care towards all people entering their property. Gone is the razor wire, broken glass cemented into the wall, etc.

I totally agree that you are passing on the info that was forwarded at that meeting,but my duty of care is to my family and any plonker that takes it upon themselves to invade my space could get a surprise.
The cops have not time to take this vermon out of our society so why should we be the ones who have to suffer?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #23
Everybody needs an EMILEA. They can be store bought or self assembled. I have only had to show mine, to observe a distinct reluctance to proceed with a trespass

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #24
EMILEA: eviction mechanism inflicting lasting excruciating agony..... I’m sure everyone has their preferred version of this implement 😳😬👍

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

Home security

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #25

we've just purchased this it has 8 cameras which will cover the house and yard

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Home security

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #26
Quote by hillton9

we've just purchased this it has 8 cameras which will cover the house and yard

Do you know you can't fit that down here yourself ,you have to get a registered "security outfit" to do the work or you are liable to be prosecuted.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #27
Why is that Martin. Does that just apply to that model?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #28
No, it’s a bullshite rule brought in by our government, another tax, you have to be registered with the PSA, private security authority, to install alarms, cctv, and access control, even to gates in a private house, if they are over 1.5 meters high. This is the same crowd that “polices” security guards, bouncers, etc. costs well over €2000 per year.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #29
are you telling me its illegal for me to put a camera outside my house?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #30
Yep. Up to €3000 euro fine or/and six months in jail. I’m a registered electrical contractor, and unless I stump up the money, I can’t either. A joke.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #31
Quote by Daffysparks

No, it’s a bullshite rule brought in by our government, another tax, you have to be registered with the PSA, private security authority, to install alarms, cctv, and access control, even to gates in a private house, if they are over 1.5 meters high. This is the same crowd that “polices” security guards, bouncers, etc. costs well over €2000 per year.

You can install in your own property but you cannot install for the public.
Typical of our short sighted government twits, got nothing to do with ability rather their ability to collect revenue from any source they can.
Wired my own house and workshops, plumbed them, installed monitored alarm, fire alarms, security cameras, electric gates and everything else possible....... all of which would now be illegal to do for the public but it’s not if it is your own personal property.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Home security

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #32
Quote by ROBANDSUE

are you telling me its illegal for me to put a camera outside my house?

Yep, the power of lobbying. The first one was RGI,then REC, then NSI/PSA.
Irish water won't go in that direction, because they don't want to work anyway they only want free money. You're oil central heating will always be safe for you to work on, because the oil company's would have to have trained and registered forecourt pump Technicians.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #33
Quote by Daffysparks

If that law is actually worded c.c.t.v. which as we all know is closed circuit television it wouldn't apply to web-based cameras which interface with the cloud and are not c.c.t.v. with a monitored or standalone recording device as is commonly understood.

Also, web-based cameras with cloud-based storage do not have any recording device on the premises, which is usually the first thing to be searched for and taken by thieves. As thieves approach they are recorded to the cloud even before they get to the camera to nick or disable it.
You do however need half decent broadband and decent WiFi.

When my kit is in active mode as soon a person gets to within about 10 metres of a camera they're being recorded to the cloud and I get an instant email message with a clip of the recording. greater detection distance is available on hard-wired (power) versions but mine are rechargeable batteries.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #34
so basically, i can fit a camera, as long as im not recording on the premises, but can upload through my pc to cloud. is that it?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #35
My security around the house has always been, surprise and shock. It has always worked well and I think always will.

Designed to make as much noise and surprise to someone that shouldn't be there as is possible. Starting off with CCTV and Security lighting, which are always good and always a deterrent, but easily overcome with Balaclavas, I appreciate most thefts are opportunist, hence why the above works.

For those more planned burglaries or armed robberies I have a second wave of surprise. It involves infra-red beams linked to other devices that would scare the life out of you. Designed by myself but not fitted or installed by myself as I don't have the capability.

Basically you do not get near my property or can attempt to break in without first me knowing you are there, I will be awake, dressed and armed before you get that far. You will also be disorientated and I would think most would decide it's not worth the risk.

Why such security? I ran the pub next door, everyone knew I did. Pubs used to be a huge target for the obvious reasons and I wanted it so that if I was going to have a gun in my face I'd know about it before any would be assailant had any idea I was aware.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #36
That was some rant,😂🥛 is that the glass of water talking I seen you with ,hoooooo you’ve let the side down🥛💧💦🤣😂

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #37
Quote by baguette

Quote by Daffysparks

If that law is actually worded c.c.t.v. which as we all know is closed circuit television it wouldn't apply to web-based cameras which interface with the cloud and are not c.c.t.v. with a monitored or standalone recording device as is commonly understood.

Also, web-based cameras with cloud-based storage do not have any recording device on the premises, which is usually the first thing to be searched for and taken by thieves. As thieves approach they are recorded to the cloud even before they get to the camera to nick or disable it.

When my kit is in active mode as soon a person gets to within about 10 metres of a camera they're being recorded to the cloud and I get an instant email message with a clip of the recording. greater detection distance is available on hard-wired (power) versions but mine are rechargeable batteries.

I don’t know if that is correct or not. I do know cameras for calving are exempt as they are not for security purposes. I think that’s the catch, if they are for security purposes, however the recording is done, it’s supposed to be installed by a psa approved installer. I remember at the start that were saying we couldn’t even do our own, no matter about payments. Maybe that got watered down. Rob if it was me, I’d put up what you want, and feign ignorance in the very unlikely event someone turns up at your door

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #38
Sounds about right David

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #39
Quote by Daffysparks

Quote by baguette

Quote by Daffysparks

I don’t know if that is correct or not. I do know cameras for calving are exempt as they are not for security purposes. I think that’s the catch, if they are for security purposes, however the recording is done, it’s supposed to be installed by a psa approved installer. I remember at the start that were saying we couldn’t even do our own, no matter about payments. Maybe that got watered down. Rob if it was me, I’d put up what you want, and feign ignorance in the very unlikely event someone turns up at your door

Nothing personal Daffysparks, but are you saying the law required a Private Security Authority approved installer must be employed to install ONE OF THESE

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Home security

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #40
Quote by Daffysparks

[. Rob if it was me, I’d put up what you want, and feign ignorance in the very unlikely event someone turns up at your door

My Thoughts exactly if the powers that be can't protect me. I'll do it myself and argue the point in front of 12 of my peers.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.