Batteries, left out in the cold. Bad parent!

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #1
Batteries, left out in the cold when they should be kept warm by any responsible owner :)

My Batteries sit where my built in genny would of been. They are very exposed, I know the frost and cold weather does them no good, would it be worthwhile throwing a blanket over them to keep any frost away from them whilst we are not using them?

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Batteries, left out in the cold. Bad parent!

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #2
Frost blanket or something that water will run off if it can get wet,
Cant do any harm to give a bit of protection,

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #3
Can't get wet, but exposed to cold Air.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #4
An old blanket ir duvet will do the job in that case 👍🏻

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #5
Cut some aeroboard to size for a bit of homemade insulation

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #6
Just think of them as rhododendrons and wrap em in a frost blanket 😉

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #7
:-)

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #8
Quote by Ally

:-)

Box in the compartment with a bit of Quinn Therm board under and snugly around and on top should keep them safe

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #9
What's the difference with the battery under your bonnet that sits in the driveway year after year?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #10
Quote by Mark&Wendy

What's the difference with the battery under your bonnet that sits in the driveway year after year?

Very good point :)

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2019  ·  #11
Quote by eirebus

Cut some aeroboard to size for a bit of homemade insulation

Just make sure the aeroboard does not come into contact with any PVC cables or you could end up with a rewire job.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2019  ·  #12
Just make sure the aeroboard does not come into contact with any PVC cables or you could end up with a rewire job

??? What's the problem, never heard of this

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2019  ·  #13
PVC does not play well with Polystyrene, the chemicals that soften it can leach out in contact with Polystyrene and lead to it hardening and cracking over time.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2019  ·  #14
Quote by Mark&Wendy

In general it is used more often and most of them are also boxed into plastic housings with covers.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2019  ·  #15
Name of the game is battery tender :)

Or just running the van every now and then

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2019  ·  #16
Keep 'em charged.

Lead acid batteries perform best in a relatively narrow temperature range -their performance declines at high or low temperatures.

In cold conditions, damage occurs if the plates are distorted by freezing of the electrolyte.
A "flat" battery (apart from the risk of sulfation) may suffer damage at barely sub zero temperatures, because the electrolyte is a very high percentage of water, while a fully charged battery will be ok down to -50C or more -because the electrolyte will consist of up to 30% sulphuric acid.

Excellent comment by Bounder on the possible interaction of Polystyrene and PVC.
Fires have happened because of PVC cable degredation after prolonged contact with polystyrene.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2019  ·  #17
Didnt know PVC reacted with Polystyrene. Good to know. :up:

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2019  ·  #18
A lot of polystyrene is now “stabalised” but there is still some there that will literally melt the Pvc insulation off cables. So yeah be careful. The old white stuff was one of the worst

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2019  ·  #19
I had a Jap import Mitsubishi Pajero years ago. It came fitted with a "winter pack". Part of that system consisted of battery heater pads that were placed under the batteries.
Something like this (but with adjustable thermostats):
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/220V-1…:rk:2🇵🇫0

I have a 250w one of these eBay jobbies fitted to the sump of my tractor to help with winter starting. Works well.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2019  ·  #20
Quote by Daffysparks

A lot of polystyrene is now “stabalised” but there is still some there that will literally melt the Pvc insulation off cables. So yeah be careful. The old white stuff was one of the worst

Any idea how dose the new stuff work like Quinntherm with the foil on.?
I saw a similar idea as the Hester pad wired in conjunction Heater's which were fitted into the frost plug ports in the side of the block to heat the water and into the sump to heat the oil.
They were working in really heavy snow conditions.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2019  ·  #21
Quote by sprinter

Quote by Daffysparks

I saw a similar idea as the Hester pad wired in conjunction Heater's which were fitted into the frost plug ports in the side of the block to heat the water and into the sump to heat the oil.
They were working in really heavy snow conditions.

I came across those frost plug heaters on the Orange Tractor Forum and they were highly recommended, I have the same Model small kubota as Kevin, there is no problem starting it without any aid in any condition but it needs approx 20 seconds pre heat every time when cold and not so cold. we also have a Kubota Mini Digger with a similar engine, possibly with a few more Horses and a bit more modern but that starts with only a couple seconds pre heat. anyone know if the more modern faster heating system can be fitted to the older engine, or is there there some other reason for the difference in heating time?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2019  ·  #22
The old massey engines had a heater glow plug fitted into the intake air manifold. I have heard of guys fitting these into more modern engines to help the existing heater plugs for really cold weather. They just pull off one of the spade connectors, when it wasn't needed.
Malcolm

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2019  ·  #23
Quote by CHAUSSON

I have the same Model small kubota as Kevin, there is no problem starting it without any aid in any condition but it needs approx 20 seconds pre heat every time when cold and not so cold.

Interesting. Maybe I need to have a look at my glow plugs.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2019  ·  #24
Quote by Thorn123

The old massey engines had a heater glow plug fitted into the intake air manifold. I have heard of guys fitting these into more modern engines to help the existing heater plugs for really cold weather. They just pull off one of the spade connectors, when it wasn't needed.
Malcolm

I know the ones Malcolm, they also need a diesel feed to them, only problem they take 15 to 20 seconds to heat also, I have no problem starting it when heated for 20 seconds, it will start with less heat but will turn over a good few times and fill the place with smoke when it starts.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2019  ·  #25
I suppose because Ally’s batteries are not starter batteries, he doesn’t care about glo plugs. So the only effect of cold batteries is reduced battery capacity. And the chances are this might not present a problem and goes unnoticed.

Still no harm in trying to keep them insulated and as warm as possible. Interesting conversation though, starter battery or not, so please keep it going.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2019  ·  #26
Your right, Rambler. Sometimes we do go off topic.
Batteries lose storage capacity when it is cold weather. They are also affected by very warm weather, but we can park that one because it is only an once in a decade in Ireland.
Ally should have asked the question differently.
How do we stop batteries from getting cold?
Batteries produce their energy with a chemical reaction between metal plates and an acid. Low temperatures reduces this reaction.
Firstly, what are your batteries sitting on?
If they are sitting on a metal surface, the metal will always draw heat from the batteries. Put a good rubber mat underneath them, the thicker the better. A rubber door mat, cut to size would do the job.
If the battery has a metal clamp holding them into position, put a strip of rubber between them, if possible.
Most van manufacturers have rubber liners fitted but they are only 2 or 3 mm thick. Beef it up to 8 or 10 mm if your battery clamps allow it.
My leisure battery sits in a plastic box under the mh floor in the garage, so no metal surface but also no heating to keep it warm. Spray the outside of the box with expanding foam to insulate.

In work, there is a forklift which wouldn't start if the air temperature was under 5°c, regardless of the age of batteries. One of the Polish boys threw in some fibre glass insulation (yellow stuff in the attic) around the batteries and no problems since. It looks messy but does the trick.

Some where on this forum, it was stated that frosty weather reduces battery capacity by 10 to 20 % but this it also our biggest power demand with extra heating and lighting. In reality when a battery hit 50% discharged, it needs to be recharged.

For the tractor boys and their glow plugs, you have compression issues. On a really cold night, remove your injectors and do a compression test. With your engines cold the piston rings cannot seal the compressed air tightly to ignite the diesel. When your engine warms up, the metal expands with heat and the piston rings can do their job.
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2019  ·  #27
Allys solution is a bit extream, :o if your batteries are cold, bring them on holiday to Spain. a bit of insulation would have been a lot cheaper. :lol:

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2019  ·  #28
Quote by Thorn123

Your right, Rambler. Sometimes we do go off topic.
Batteries lose storage capacity when it is cold weather. They are also affected by very warm weather, but we can park that one because it is only an once in a decade in Ireland.
Ally should have asked the question differently.
How do we stop batteries from getting cold?
Batteries produce their energy with a chemical reaction between metal plates and an acid. Low temperatures reduces this reaction.
Firstly, what are your batteries sitting on?
If they are sitting on a metal surface, the metal will always draw heat from the batteries. Put a good rubber mat underneath them, the thicker the better. A rubber door mat, cut to size would do the job.
If the battery has a metal clamp holding them into position, put a strip of rubber between them, if possible.
Most van manufacturers have rubber liners fitted but they are only 2 or 3 mm thick. Beef it up to 8 or 10 mm if your battery clamps allow it.
My leisure battery sits in a plastic box under the mh floor in the garage, so no metal surface but also no heating to keep it warm. Spray the outside of the box with expanding foam to insulate.

In work, there is a forklift which wouldn't start if the air temperature was under 5°c, regardless of the age of batteries. One of the Polish boys threw in some fibre glass insulation (yellow stuff in the attic) around the batteries and no problems since. It looks messy but does the trick.

Some where on this forum, it was stated that frosty weather reduces battery capacity by 10 to 20 % but this it also our biggest power demand with extra heating and lighting. In reality when a battery hit 50% discharged, it needs to be recharged.

For the tractor boys and their glow plugs, you have compression issues. On a really cold night, remove your injectors and do a compression test. With your engines cold the piston rings cannot seal the compressed air tightly to ignite the diesel. When your engine warms up, the metal expands with heat and the piston rings can do their job.
Malcolm

No need to do a compression test on my yoke, Malcolm. I know well the engine is goosed in it but it still starts fine after heating long enough and never uses oil between oil changes. I was going to change it for a newer one last year because the exhaust is lying flat, parelle with the bonnet facing forward and it was a health hazard because of the smoke. I cured that since by rotating it 90degrees on the exhaust manifold and extending the length of it, now the smoke is exiting the exhaust above the driver.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2019  ·  #29
Quote by sprinter

[

I would think that would be ok ? I have some of it ok in the shed which might cover them.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2019  ·  #30
Afaik the type you are on about will not have a detrimental effect on the Pvc insulation. There is an issue with loading of cables installed in insulation, but that’s a whole different topic, I’d be fairly confident that it would be fine to use, although to my mind a previous comment on fiber wool would seem a lot easier to use to wrap around the batteries, just not very neat looking

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2019  ·  #31
It’s funny you don’t hear about lagging jackets for batteries. Anyway, I just installed my new Victron battery monitor. So far I like the mobile app. When in Bluetooth range, it shows me the real-time status off the battery and some useful historic information.

I ordered the Victron temperature sensor as well, so the monitor takes that in to consideration when calculating battery capacity, it derates capacity based on temperature. In the attached pic, the battery is sitting at 100% state of charge (SOC) and I am running a couple of LED lights, 5 watts. The monitor is telling me I can keep running for 10 days before hitting the low threshold of 50% SOC, at 8 degrees. It will be interesting to see what the monitor reports when at 20 degrees etc.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2019  ·  #32
Quote by The Rambler

It’s funny you don’t hear about lagging jackets for batteries. Anyway, I just installed my new Victron battery monitor. So far I like the mobile app. When in Bluetooth range, it shows me the real-time status off the battery and some useful historic information.

I ordered the Victron temperature sensor as well, so the monitor takes that in to consideration when calculating battery capacity, it derates capacity based on temperature. In the attached pic, the battery is sitting at 100% state of charge (SOC) and I am running a couple of LED lights, 5 watts. The monitor is telling me I can keep running for 10 days before hitting the low threshold of 50% SOC, at 8 degrees. It will be interesting to see what the monitor reports when at 20 degrees etc.

Thats a nice set up!

Quote by Thorn123

Malcolm

That might explain why mine starts very well when I use the heater pad fitted to the sump. It tends to keep the whole engine relatively warm. That combined with pre-heated oil at 60°C makes for an easy crank over.

Yeah, even though mine has ~2200hrs on the clock, it has a lot of blowby so I have no doubt the rings are worn.

Sorry for the thread Hijack!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2019  ·  #33
Quote by The Rambler

I ordered the Victron temperature sensor as well, so the monitor takes that into consideration when calculating battery capacity, it derates capacity based on temperature. In the attached pic, the battery is sitting at 100% state of charge (SOC) and I am running a couple of LED lights, 5 watts. The monitor is telling me I can keep running for 10 days before hitting the low threshold of 50% SOC, at 8 degrees. It will be interesting to see what the monitor reports when at 20 degrees etc.

A few questions if you can elaborate, please.
What is the 10% figure with the orange bar mean in the top right corner? how does it relate to the 100% charge?.
What is the orange bar halfway across under status?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2019  ·  #34
I’d say that’s the phone, Martin 😂😂

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2019  ·  #35
Yeah the top row of icons are the iPhone’s status bar, so the 10% is my phone’s battery. The orange bar highlights which tab is selected, Status or History.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #36
Why 13.22 volts ?
Is the battery on charge, is there solar giving it a bit of a trickle charge. A good battery, off charge (rested for about 12 hours) and with no load, should be in the region of 12.7v

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #37
Quote by baguette

Why 13.22 volts ?
Is the battery on charge, is there solar giving it a bit of a trickle charge. A good battery, off charge (rested for about 12 hours) and with no load, should be in the region of 12.7v

You are indeed correct, it was very sunny last Saturday afternoon when I took the screenshot. I saw up to 1 amp coming from the solar controller at one stage.

This screenshot was taken this morning before sunrise, when the battery would have rested all night.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #38
That’s a fine set up. Much bother connecting it in

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #39
Quote by Daffysparks

That’s a fine set up. Much bother connecting it in

It wasn’t too much trouble for me David as I already had a battery monitor with a shunt in place. As that monitor died on me I was replacing out an old shunt for the Victron shunt which meant I had the correct wires and terminations ready to go.

Basically the shunt should be wired in close to the battery. All current, load or charge, should now flow through the shunt, otherwise it will not be counted and the unit will not be accurate. So one side of the shunt will connect to the negative terminal directly at the battery. The ground bus bar now connects on the other side of the shunt. So all loads and charging sources are all effectively grounded at the shunt side and not the battery terminal. Then a straight RJ11 cable connection between the shunt and front panel.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #40
Thanks for the info. That rules it out for me. I’d say there are about 6-7 cables connected to each pole of my battery, not such a simple job for me. Be grand. I’ll make do with my 5 little lights to tell me how they are faring out. Cool though

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.