Driveway Awnings Vango (Hexaway) vs Khyam (Motordome)

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Driveway Awnings Vango (Hexaway) vs Khyam (Motordome)

· 
Posted: 10.01.2019  ·  #1
I'm looking to pickup a driveway awning soon and looking between the Vango Hexaway Tall (inflatable) or the Khyam Motordome Rv Hub (quick erect ).

Current shipped prices to ROI put the Vango around £515 and the Khyam around £660 (including the groundsheet which is purchased separate).

Has anyone here used one or the other or both?

With the difference, I'm leaning towards the Vango.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Driveway Awnings Vango (Hexaway) vs Khyam (Motordome)

· 
Posted: 10.01.2019  ·  #2
Don't know much about these models but something to look at is how waterproof are they, I think you would need a minimum of 3000mm and preferably 5000mm but I suspect a lot of awnings are only 1500mm

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2019  ·  #3
Firstly, Charles camping in Blessington co Wicklow are a vango agency. Give them a call, because they may have one erected in their showroom.
I have a vango airhub, no longer produced, which is a 3×3 m four side but is Airbeam. It is a sturdy piece of kit and well able to handle wind. For memory, I think that its waterproof is 4000mm.

I didn't buy the ground sheet, mainly because of price. Instead I purchased a mesh groundsheet, like what is used in a caravan awning. With kids, the mesh groundsheet allows me to wash it with a powerwasher after use , but then maybe my kids are exceptional messy!
The only downside of all drive away awnings is that they do become an insect trap. Bugs tend to get stuck inside the dome roof. If you don't clean them out before folding away the awning, the next time that you put it up, the dead bugs will be stuck to it.
Normally we put up the vango about 6 feet away from the camper and then roll out the fiamma awning to bridge the gap when it rains.
Malcolm

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2019  ·  #4
I bought the Vango Hexaway yesterday from https://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk. £551 shipped including the Vango Hex Carpet.

Norwich Camping were coming in at £500 but I did want the carpet. Will update on the supplier once it arrives.

pickle
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.01.2019  ·  #5
Picked this up over Christmas for €295 delivered, there was 15%off- still10% off when you sign up. 2018 airhub hex, not the hexaway. This I prefer over the hassle of joining to the van, just like the option of extra space.. https://www.campingworld.co.uk…22192.aspx

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.01.2019  ·  #6

Picked this up over Christmas for €295 delivered, there was 15%off- still10% off when you sign up. 2018 airhub hex, not the hexaway. This I prefer over the hassle of joining to the van, just like the option of extra space.. https://www.campingworld.co.uk…22192.aspx

Cheers for the heads up on this deal. I have had my eye on a stand-alone Vango Hex for a while and at the base price plus the newsletter discount I finally just ordered one. 👍

I like Thorns idea of putting the roll out awning out to meet it. I mostly wild camp but would use this at weekend events or festivals. Less hassle than setting up wind breakers and putting chairs etc in the van every evening as I don’t want to risk leaving the wind out awning out in case of rain/wind.

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2019  ·  #7
Awning arrived today so swift service.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2019  ·  #8
Quote by essjay

Awning arrived today so swift service.

Have fun in practicing the putting up and taking down.
Best of luck.
Malcolm

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2019  ·  #9
My Hex airhub awning arrived from Camping World in less than 48 hours and that was with the free 5-7 day delivery option. Well impressed.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.