Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Wine in France

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #1
Hi All,
Queued up in Rosslare waiting to board the ferry for Roscoff and we were handed a flyer for ‘WBS Roscoff’ a wine warehouse.
Just wondering if anyone on here has been there and if so what did you think?

Because it’s in Rosscoff I’m thinking it might be more expensive than somewhere further away from the port?

Any Craic’rs waiting to board?
Beautiful day here, hope it’s drying out a bit on France!!

Daffysparks

Subject:

Re: Wine in France

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #2
We have used it a few times. They can be a little dearer than some inland places, but do have excellent wines and a good selection. Also fluent English and you can sample anything before you purchase. They will normally throw in a free crate as well if you are buying a reasonable amount. We usually buy some for samples on the way down, and then we know what to get on the way home. Weather still unsettled in France but good around Barcelona, costa dorada area where we are. Enjoy the trip

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #3
Quote by Daffysparks

We have used it a few times. They can be a little dearer than some inland places, but do have excellent wines and a good selection. Also fluent English and you can sample anything before you purchase. They will normally throw in a free crate as well if you are buying a reasonable amount. We usually buy some for samples on the way down, and then we know what to get on the way home. Weather still unsettled in France but good around Barcelona, costa dorada area where we are. Enjoy the trip

That sounds like a plan. Stop and buy a selection when we arrive and see what we like. Can order online on the way back.
Not going too far south, just down through Brittany. Enjoy your trip too.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #4
You too. Ilé de Ré well worth a visit if you are going as far south as La Rochelle

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #5
Yes bought some bottles there for sampling during the holidays, called back yesterday and bought our favourites. Some of the wine can be bought year for e10 bottle. Price there is less than e4. Go for it.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #6
Just cos it’s in your face, doesn’t always mean it’s bad

thepilote
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #7
For those of you in France looking for an aire we stayed in one in a town called NOZAY about 30/40 km north of Nantes all the facilites including ehu free. Supposed to be a charge of e8/night but the barrier was up and the pay machine did not work. Maybe the charge is just for high season. Another aire we came across was in St Jean De Monts 100m form Bois Joly camp site cost e9 /night (only 4amps ehu). To be near the boat we stayed in Morlaix a beatiful town 20 min drive from Roscoff.. Aire was just on the way in.Usual facilities all free.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Wine in france

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #8
Quote by just_manu

Hi All,
Queued up in Rosslare waiting to board the ferry for Roscoff and we were handed a flyer for ‘WBS Roscoff’ a wine warehouse.

Because it’s in Rosscoff I’m thinking it might be more expensive than somewhere further away from the port?

Justin. I have dealt with Fred in WBS. Since he took over the store from Mose's ( that was the name of the previous owner.) 20years ago. He is a gentleman to deal with say hi from me please,you will get a discount in wine or money. do as recommended call in and get some to try for your trip and give yourself time on your way back to to buy .
I was in there last Saturday to get my years supply. He has a very good Prosecco at this time LA Gioiosa. And some Porto 6 red unfortunately he had not got in his delivery of the white when I was there.
If you are going down bear Nantes I have a a very good stopover with some great wines if your interested.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #9
Damn that Wicklow mob, scooping up all the good stuff. May put a hit on them 😂😂

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Wine in france

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #10
Quote by thepilote

To be near the boat we stayed in Morlaix a beatiful town 20 min drive from Roscoff.. Aire was just on the way in.Usual facilities all free.

We stayed last week in a Campsite in St Paul De Lèon, Camping At Kleguer. swimming pool etc.
Right beside the pier, there is an Island at the end and it is worth a walk down just before dusk ,I have never seen so many Rabbits in such a small area ( in the Hundreds )
There is an Air on the seafront also.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #11
Spent a few nights there. Rabbit central. Tasty too 🤫

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #12
Quote by sprinter

Quote by just_manu

Hi All,

Justin. I have dealt with Fred in WBS. Since he took over the store from Mose's ( that was the name of the previous owner.) 20years ago. He is a gentleman to deal with say hi from me please,you will get a discount in wine or money. do as recommended call in and get some to try for your trip and give yourself time on your way back to to buy .
I was in there last Saturday to get my years supply. He has a very good Prosecco at this time LA Gioiosa. And some Porto 6 red unfortunately he had not got in his delivery of the white when I was there.
If you are going down bear Nantes I have a a very good stopover with some great wines if your interested.

Thanks Martin. Will call in and grab a selection. We are heading down past Nantes and will be aire’ing It for a few nights so send on any info. Cheers 🍷

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #13
Are there any warehouse places like that around Cherbourg .Nozay is a good Aire we expect to be there Mon night , weather been good in Royan for last few weeks , rain and thunder more inland ,we could see it but not effected , although we heard there was someone killed by lightening about 10 miles away

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #14
We stumbled (pun intended) on a brand called Roche Mazet a few years ago and it's been a firm favourite ever since.
it's rated as 'the Number 1 brand in France' and at about €3 per bottle it represents great value.
The only problem with the brand is it's very drinkable :D :P

You can choose from Melot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Syrah, and others.

Liked by: rebbyvid

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #15
Quote by baguette

We stumbled (pun intended) on a brand called Roche Mazet a few years ago and it's been a firm favourite ever since.
it's rated as 'the Number 1 brand in France' and at about €3 per bottle it represents great value.
The only problem with the brand is it's very drinkable :D :P

You can choose from Melot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Syrah, and others.

I must agree with you there Colin.
Roche Mazet would be a firm favourite of mine. Cheap and cheerful.
Sometimes Super U do cases of 6 for the price of 4.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Wine in france

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #16
[quote

Thanks Martin. Will call in and grab a selection. We are heading down past Nantes and will be aire’ing It for a few nights so send on any info. Cheers 🍷
[/quote]
Nantes Camping ( great for the city, tram outside the 21 Boulevard du Petit Port, 44300 Nantes,the machines are world class ,worth a day if not more to see the whole site .
The vinwward is close to Nantes.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Wine in france

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #17
This topic Wines in France could Probably have its own section. most people who go regularly will have a recommendation.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.06.2018  ·  #18
Quote by thepilote

For those of you in France looking for an aire we stayed in one in a town called NOZAY about 30/40 km north of Nantes all the facilites including ehu free. Supposed to be a charge of e8/night but the barrier was up and the pay machine did not work. Maybe the charge is just for high season. Another aire we came across was in St Jean De Monts 100m form Bois Joly camp site cost e9 /night (only 4amps ehu). To be near the boat we stayed in Morlaix a beatiful town 20 min drive from Roscoff.. Aire was just on the way in.Usual facilities all free.

Our first ferry trip to France was somewhat unplanned. We'd just moved house and weren't planning a summer holiday until I came upon the opportunity to buy someone out of their LD Lines booking Rosslare to StNazaire for car and 5 passengers for the princely sum of €280.

I jumped at the chance and thinking we'd work the rest out... We did, a 10 man tent that had been something I'd bought for music festivals in my singleton days, not thinking of family holidays with 3 boys aged then between 5 and 8 months. The first campsite we stayed in that trip was Left Bois Joly. I remember the Aire next door, to be honest it looked like a very crowded but as hoc arrangement, a few hundred motorhomes in a field.

We've evolved over the years, our youngest is 5 and this will our second year as motorhomists but that Aire holds no attraction to me, there's just so much better in the area, some of which appeared to be roadside, free, and more central to the beach at StJdeM.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.06.2018  ·  #19
Have to agree with Baugette and Mark the Roche Mazet is good value. We have been bringing it back by the case for years. Another is JP Chenet in the bent bottle, i mostly buy from supermarkets, watch what locals are buying and ask a few to recommend. Haven’t brought back a bad bottle since I bought 3 bottles of Bulls Blood (Egri Bikaver) in Hungary about 25 years ago. It was absolute p***. Normally quite a good wine

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.06.2018  ·  #20
Quote by sprinter

Quote by just_manu

Hi All,

Martin, we called into WBS and chatted to Fred. Said that you recommended him. He’s a really nice helpful guy. We decided on the ‘scatter gun’ approach to try out a good spread of wine and then pick what we want to buy in quantity.
Fred helped us out and threw in a nice free bottle which we have just put to bed. Will definitely be buying some of that!
Looking forward to making our way through about 15 different wines over the next two weeks.. .. just have to remember it’s a family holiday! BTW, Roche Marat was there for I think €1.99 a bottle !! So got 2 of those to try out.
It’s a tough life!!

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.06.2018  ·  #21
Just for the shopping list, is it Roche Mazet or Roche Marat.

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.06.2018  ·  #22
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Just for the shopping list, is it Roche Mazet or Roche Marat.

Hi Mark and Wendy, it’s Roche Mazet. Haven’t tried it yet but will soon.
We drank the bottle that Fred threw in free last night... it’s ‘Bourgogne Blanc Vieux Quartier’ .. I can highly recommend. Very tasty and think it was €4.99.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.06.2018  ·  #23
Can’t beat that with a big stick. 😝

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.06.2018  ·  #24
On to the next one, cost €6.49 (the most expensive sample we got!)
It’s bee friendly apparently, vegan friendly (if that’s your thing.... .. 😉 maybe the grapes were only partly squeezed on the branch and then sang to by vestal virgins whilst they went back to sleep, thus not harming the environment or something!!?) and apparently chemical free and as a result hangover free😁.
We will see. I have my doubts, especially as I have a tight sample timetable to stick too... and am contemplating another bottle! Ah well!

Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #25
Just back from France middle of Oct. Auchan had a special on Roche Mazet. 3L box for 6.15 Euro. Got a few on your recommendation. Going down a treat

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #26
Quote by Thornwood

Just back from France middle of Oct.

I am so Jealous,
I met you on the Boat on the way out, we were there for three weeks and it feels like two years since we came back. Hope you had a great Holiday :up:

Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #27
Retired now so no rush home. We extended our stay by 2 weeks because the weather was so good. Hope you enjoyed you trip also. Thinking of going back next year.Waiting on the Acsi book to start planning.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #28
One of our favourite

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #29
No doubt that’s my kinda place.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #30
walk around grounds

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Chusclan Winery

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #31
shop close by

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

WBS, expands into Cherbourg

· 
Posted: 16.01.2019  ·  #32

A mate sent this to me a while ago.
Fred has opened a warehouse in Cherbourg to offset the lost of Irish trade into Roscoff.
Malcolm

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2019  ·  #33
There is a man with a good business sense. I hope it is successful for him.

As the ad says, “drink responsibly “. O-)

Davy

thepilote
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2019  ·  #34
Praise be the lord.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2019  ·  #35
Sounds like Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory for grown ups. 🍻

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Wine in France

· 
Posted: 17.01.2019  ·  #36
Quote by Davy

Davy

And an absolute Gentleman to deal with,he once sent me home on the ferry with a van full of wine, with a hand shake , and the instruction
" give me a call next week when you have it sorted " (when the Bank stopped my card )
Other people over there claim to offer better deals and discounts but you cannot beat thrust.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Wine in France

· 
Posted: 17.01.2019  ·  #37
Quote by sprinter

Quote by Davy

Davy

And an absolute Gentleman to deal with,he once sent me home on the ferry with a van full of wine, with a hand shake , and the instruction
" give me a call next week when you have it sorted " (when the Bank stopped my card )
Other people over there claim to offer better deals and discounts but you cannot beat thrust.

This mail came in from
Frédéric Bossis WBS
Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your mail and best wishes for 2019.
Yes the Irish Ferries announcement was a bit of a surprise for everyone.
Anyway, to answer your query the answer is yes we will be opening up a twin outlet in Cherbourg hopefully by the 15 th of March.

We will e mail everyone shortly about the exact location and regarding pre ordering, do not change anything to your habits eithr e mail or use winebeersupermarket.com
Please give us a bit more notice that s all.
Looking forward to seeing you in Cherbourg at some point this year and of course the Roscoff outlet will remain open as ever.
Cheers
Fred

PDK
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner A647
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2019  ·  #38
Looking forward to the holidays even more now, my teenagers won’t be happy as it means I’ll have 2 trolleys of wine for them to push back to camper 🍷😀

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Wine in France

· 
Posted: 17.01.2019  ·  #39
Quote by PDK

Looking forward to the holidays even more now, my teenagers won’t be happy as it means I’ll have 2 trolleys of wine for them to push back to camper 🍷😀

There is no need for that Fred's staff will do the pushing and loading if you ask.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #40
I received a mail from Chris at WBS. this morning.
Dear Martin,

Many thanks for your enquiry and interest in WBS following the decision by Irish Ferries to shelve the Rosslare – Roscoff service for 2019. We are excited to announce we will be opening a new store at La Glacerie, Cherbourg in time for the maiden sailing of the W.B. Yeats from Dublin on the 15th March.
Further details will appear on the website www.winebeersupermarket.com shortly
Please don’t hesitate to contact me for further help or information
Kind regards,
Chris

Chris BULLIMORE

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.