Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

The end of the land line?

· 
Posted: 08.01.2019  ·  #1
Land line calls have fallen 50% in the last two years, which makes me wonder at the current money being spent on Fibre cabling.

In my view we will have no landlines soon, and we will all be getting our internet through whatever technology we can, 3g/4g/5g. 5G promises big things.

Data routers are now up and coming, like Three's homefi router, which you can get a monthly 100GB sim and with GoBinge, no data comes out of your package for a lot of services.

The future I think seems to be that the landline is dead, which is a win win for us. For far too long companies like BT and I am sure Eircom have been ripping us off and making us have a landline along with an internet feed, this was never needed and was a ploy to get more money out of you. An internet feed solely was available but we were "not allowed" it.

Think of all that cabling running around the countries that will no longer be needed, that's a lot of copper!

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: The end of the land line?

· 
Posted: 08.01.2019  ·  #2
What’s a landline? 😐

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2019  ·  #3
The fibre cable is needed to connect the transmission / receiving masts to the world wide web data servers.
Yes there will be local area wireless broadband/ mobile signal which will make the roadside phone line redundant but equally each signal hub will need a cable connection to carry all of the information.
Malcolm

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2019  ·  #4
I done away with the land line last month when we moved house. I got a 3 Homefi on a black Friday deal with unlimited data and Go Binge for 20 quid a month. My mobile contract has unlimited calls anyway. I had been paying BT 70 + quid for unlimited broadband including line rental previously so a saving of 600 quid a year. BT line rental is 183 quid per year even if you do not want a land line.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2019  ·  #5
Quote by Thorn123

The fibre cable is needed to connect the transmission / receiving masts to the world wide web data servers.
Yes there will be local area wireless broadband/ mobile signal which will make the roadside phone line redundant but equally each signal hub will need a cable connection to carry all of the information.
Malcolm

Yes. But they are still laying it to residential homes. The English GVT have been giving BT millions of pounds to upgrade people.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2019  ·  #6
We did away with landline a long time ago.
We have fast broadband (100mb) with Inagine telecom via an external antenna, this also includes home telephone that plugs into the router. We’ve never plugged a phone into it, in fact we have no idea of our home telephone number!
Our monitored house alarm is done via a GSM gateway too.
Recently eircom had laid fiber right past our house and we have broadband providers calling all the time and offering us great deals and promising 350mb speeds..... but imagine have been superb and we will stay with them for the time being.

I think the future is the 5G/6G service, 5G already used in South Korea for a while and 6G within 18 months... 6G will offer speeds up to 5GB !
Times they are a changing, remember at home “applying” for a phone service, around 1978 and I think it was installed 2 years later.

Richard
Craic'er
My Motorhome: pilote referance 690
Base Vehicle: 3ltr Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2019  ·  #7
Unfortunately I'm reliant on a landline, mobile coverage is real bad as is mobile broadband at home, even with an outdoor arial.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #8
Got my Three Data Sim for my router. Going great, 20-30 download and 2-9 upload. My landline broadband was 18 down and 1.5 up.

Unlimited Data plan at £21 per month.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #9
I find this topic interesting but I’m just a novice and don’t understand it all. Does one not need to have a land line to have wireless throughout the house? My printer is a wireless one so I need wireless to print.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #10
Yes and no Jack.
Ally is talking about using mobile broadband router, the same system as a mobile phone.
The traditional Internet using a landline phone has a big problem, in that the quality for your connection is generally poor in a rural area, due to the phone lines hanging overhead from poles and each connection been subjected to the weather. Urban landlines are underground and there is less weather interference.
The mobile broadband signal would be transmitted from tower to tower until it is connected into a data land line, a bit like the old telephone exchange.
Malcolm

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #11
Quote by jacktherev

I find this topic interesting but I’m just a novice and don’t understand it all. Does one not need to have a land line to have wireless throughout the house? My printer is a wireless one so I need wireless to print.

No, you notice no difference. It is a router, it just picks up the telephone masts instead of a fixed wire and fires it around your house as WiFi.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #12
Quote by Thorn123

The traditional Internet using a landline phone has a big problem, in that the quality for your connection is generally poor in a rural area, due to the phone lines hanging overhead from poles and each connection been subjected to the weather. Urban landlines are underground and there is less weather interference.

There is also the problem, all house landline/fixed wire connections (unless they are NTL, is that still their name? in NI) are two pair copper wire, no fibre exists no matter what BT tell you. You might be lucky to be close to a fibre enabled green Box, but it is still two pair copper wire from it to your house. most Rural properties are miles away form the green box.

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #13
I’m lucky enough to have 68Mbps where I am less than 1/4 mile from a new exchange but I will keep the landline as in emergencies when mobiles drop out the landline still works. It costs money but I remember just a couple of years ago in storm Darwin all the cell towers had gone down because they had no power and our landline still worked.
It’s like anything you may not need it but you’re damn glad of it when you do need it.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #14
Being a poor pensioner 🧓 I thought maybe I could do without the land line and save myself a fortune 🔮 over a year but obviously there’s pros and cons and nothing is ever as simple as my simple mind would like it. 😂

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #15
Quote by Bounder

I’m lucky enough to have 68Mbps where I am less than 1/4 mile from a new exchange but I will keep the landline as in emergencies when mobiles drop out the landline still works. It costs money but I remember just a couple of years ago in storm Darwin all the cell towers had gone down because they had no power and our landline still worked.
It’s like anything you may not need it but you’re damn glad of it when you do need it.

We have four networks in the same house, I doubt we would lose them all :-/ PAYG sim cards have their uses :)

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #16
Quote by jacktherev

Being a poor pensioner 🧓 I thought maybe I could do without the land line and save myself a fortune 🔮 over a year but obviously there’s pros and cons and nothing is ever as simple as my simple mind would like it. 😂

It's simple, just do it Jack and help the rest of us give two fingers to the telecom industry who has been ripping us off for years and years.

:D

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #17
BT took 4 days to fix it.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #18
with my home being in a dip between hills I do not have good mobile signal no matter which provider I use and can only get about 15Mb weather dependant, the plus side is the green box is only about 200 yards away which enables me to get a constant 36Mb, unless someone takes out a telegraph pole (again)

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2019  ·  #19
Quote by the fat controller

the plus side is the green box is only about 200 yards away which enables me to get a constant 36Mb,

*&%&^$%

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.