Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

merc sprinter

· 
Posted: 21.05.2018  ·  #1
one for the brains trust.
I have an intermittent fault with my 02 Sprinter for a couple of years. when driving at a steady pace 100 to 120 after about 20/30 min on the road, I lose power it drops back to about 2250 rpm no warning lights nothing . if I switch off the engine and restart it I have full power again and it drives great. last week between home and Mondallow park 4/5 times. the problem is we are on the boat on Thursday.
I did about 800k earlier this year and it did it twice. last year in France not once.
We have tried a few things but so far to no avail, on diagnostics, it shows high boost and we have replaced the sensor which had a low voltage reading

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: merc sprinter

· 
Posted: 21.05.2018  ·  #2
Are air and fuel filters clean they can cause this type of problem , van must enjoy holidaying in France 😁 like you

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2018  ·  #3
That sounds very like an air flow meter (MAF Sensor/mass air flow). DO NOT fit an aftermarket one, genuine only.
It resets with a stop/start sequence, have been there with this fault a few times !

Stoney
Just doing it!
My Motorhome: LeVoyageur
Base Vehicle: Mercedes Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2018  ·  #4
Hi JJF,

I had the very same problem last year and like your case it just got progressively worse until I gave in and took it to my local Mercedes garage.
Does the ESP light come on in the display? If it does, this is why you are losing power. My problem was a bad connection in a plug/socket but it took the garage about two hours to find it. No parts required and everything has worked perfectly since.

Might be worth your while leaving it in to a Mercedes garage and having it sorted by them.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

merc sprinter

· 
Posted: 22.05.2018  ·  #5
She is an old girl so when we go on the boat she thinks she us going home,so behaves herself , we gave never had a warning light of any kind. So far everything suggested we have covered ,including an Audi/Merc trained technician,it looks like we are going towards a wiring/connection fault .but as you all know their the hardest to find. Going in again tonight

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2018  ·  #6
Hopefully you get it sorted Martin.... a MAF sensor won’t throw up a MIL light or a code on a lot of cases.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

merc sprinter

· 
Posted: 23.05.2018  ·  #7
Quote by JJF

Hopefully you get it sorted Martin.... a MAF sensor won’t throw up a MIL light or a code on a lot of cases.

Found a dodgy connection this morning ,Took it out and about today,no problems, brought it out to Ballymount to a Merc fitter this evening ,no fault found and drove great ,
Put a picture of the boat on the dash tonight, just to remind it that if it doesn't behave I'll bring it back to Germany. To the FACTORY.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2018  ·  #8
Beside the boat picture, put a second picture of a German foundry. That will keep her purring along.
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

merc sprinter

· 
Posted: 29.05.2018  ·  #9
I've done 1100km so far and it only misbehaved once, so I crushed around a scrapyard for an hour.
Parked up in Nantes tonight ,going to check out the Machines

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2018  ·  #10
If you're in the campsite Martin get tram tickets in reception you can get all over the city with 24 hour ticket it's well worth it

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

merc sprinter

· 
Posted: 29.05.2018  ·  #11
Quote by eirebus

If you're in the campsite Martin get tram tickets in reception you can get all over the city with 24 hour ticket it's well worth it

We spent the morning in Clisson lovely town, got here after lunch , went in on the Tram had a walk around the château , dinner done sitting with a glass or three in the evening air. ( I think it must be Thursday all week )
The Machines tomorrow. Then the Coast.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2018  ·  #12
We're in Royan nice weather and a cool breeze expect it's similar all along the coast

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2018  ·  #13
Quote by eirebus

We're in Royan nice weather and a cool breeze expect it's similar all along the coast

I have been watching Metro.FR and the French weather is very thundery all over for the next 10 days. Sunday is looking good but after that isn't looking great at all.

We were thinking of heading over next week for a few days but going to leave it for now.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

merc sprinter

· 
Posted: 13.01.2019  ·  #14
Ok so back to this loosing power problem. It was suggested that the valve seals on the end of the common rail so replaced that and got the injectors serviced while I was at it .
Fault returned after 15 min on the road.
So before Christmas I took the Turbo off and gave it to couple of F/N in Turbo-Service in Rathcoole. where it was condemned because the Finns were burnt and sticking, so swopped it for a recon. I drove it today for 4 hours and so far it's going like a dream.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2019  ·  #15
Happy days,
Hope that's it sorted,👍🏻👍🏻

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2019  ·  #16
Quote by sprinter

Ok so back to this loosing power problem. It was suggested that the valve seals on the end of the common rail so replaced that and got the injectors serviced while I was at it .
Fault returned after 15 min on the road.
So before Christmas I took the Turbo off and gave it to couple of F/N in Turbo-Service in Rathcoole. where it was condemned because the Finns were burnt and sticking, so swopped it for a recon. I drove it today for 4 hours and so far it's going like a dream.

Onwards and upwards from here,enjoy.👍

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.