The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Victron BMV-712 Battery monitor

· 
Posted: 08.01.2019  ·  #1
As the title says, I’m interested in the Victron battery monitor. My cheap Chinese monitor just got fried. I am willing to splash out on something a bit more decent.

The 712 comes with Bluetooth so can communicate with phone app. Otherwise it pretty much does what the other 700 series monitors do. Anyone using one?

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

Re: Victron BMV-712 Battery monitor

· 
Posted: 09.01.2019  ·  #2
Don’t seem to be anyone with one Jason. I am not familar with battery monitors, the built in one on ours just show the battery condition in a scale with a number of bars, not volt’s. How do you wire that, do you go go straight to the battery or pick it up at the fuse box? Do it show the state of both the leisure and engine Battery?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.01.2019  ·  #3
It works by measuring the cumulative current in and out of the battery Pat as voltage alone can be a poor measure of state of charge. Once you tell it things like, ‘this is my battery fully charged’ and ‘it is so many Amp-hour in capacity’, it should then be able to keep track of your battery state of charge and let you know your are say 80% s SOC etc. as well as that it shows the usual stuff, battery voltage, instantaneous current draw and wattage. But it is the Amp-hours consumed on load and supplied on charging that I really use to guage my battery.

It will require that you synchronize the battery to your monitor every once in a while, I.e. my battery is fully charged so monitor should say so. It uses a ‘shunt’ wired in series with the battery (negative pole usually). The shunt is essentially a current sensing resistor and all load current and charge current should flow through this.

I decided to bite the bullet so I have the Victron on order 🙂

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.01.2019  ·  #4
ONE OF THESE has been on my shopping list for ages, but has not yet come to the top :-|

The BM1 is ok for normal loads, it's rated to 100 amp load. If running a large inverter the MB2 is rated for up to 200 amp loads

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.01.2019  ·  #5
The BM1 was on my shortlist too. I think it was the Bluetooth connectivity of the Victron that swung it for me. Maybe the iPhone app is a little gimmicky , if all it does is to double up on the front panel UI , but it does allow you to do firmware updates on the monitor via the phone.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.