Inverter

whitesands 2
Subject:

Inverter

· 
Posted: 03.01.2019  ·  #1
Hi. Today I turned off my inverter for a sec and I heard water gushing out underneath. Is this normal and is there anything I need to do before heating or running water again. About 10 litres came out in total, think it just stopped when the system was empty. Was this water from the heating system does anyone know.

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

Re: Inverter

· 
Posted: 03.01.2019  ·  #2
Sounds like the frost protection valve in the Truma heater lost power and opened. You should be able to access the little door and reset the valve to allow it to hold water again. Is the water tank empty now?

whitesands 2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.01.2019  ·  #3
Thanks for reply. Yes think the system is totally empty. Where do I reset it

Bounder
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.01.2019  ·  #4
There should be a small valve with a blue twist knob on it near the boiler. Do you have a truma manual?
It should be in the manual showing how to reset

whitesands 2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.01.2019  ·  #5
Ok will check it out tomorrow, just want to make sure it’s filled back up with water before I turn it on, I take it once I turn on the water pump it refills

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.01.2019  ·  #6
The system will fill automatically but you need to check a few things

Turn off the water pump at the main panel (assumes you have a pressurised system)

Start filling the clean water tank

Make sure that there is no water running from below the van

Open the cold tap in the kitchen

Turn on the water pump.

Keep the tap open until all of the air is out.

Repeat with all cold water taps incl shower

Repeat with all hot water taps incl showers

If you system is not pressurised, then turning on the taps will also start the water pump

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.01.2019  ·  #7
Quote by whitesands 2

Hi. Today I turned off my inverter for a sec and I heard water gushing out underneath. Is this normal and is there anything I need to do before heating or running water again. About 10 litres came out in total, think it just stopped when the system was empty. Was this water from the heating system does anyone know.

You lost power to the automatic frost protection valve, this valve is kept closed by an electromagnet arrangement which allows the valve to drop open when the ambient temperature drops in order to prevent the boiler from freezing, BUT will also drop open if the power which holds it closed is lost. It has to be reset manually AFTER power has been restored. If the ambient temperature is below the threshold the valve will only hold closed while the boiler is turned on.

The power source is the leisure battery (the habitation 12v system). If the leisure battery is absent AND there is no power coming from the charger/transformer (as in if there is no ehu or the charger/transformer is turned off) the 12v habitation system will be 'dead' and there will be no power to hold the valve closed and it will drop open.
If the leisure battery is present and in a decent state of charge that alone should hold the valve closed and having no EHU or the charger/transformer turned off should not matter.

Am I correct in thinking when you say 'inverter' you mean the charger/transformer, as an inverter would have nothing to do with the power supply to hold the frost protection valve.

whitesands 2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #8
Thanks Baguette, yea that sounds pretty much what has happened. So there is a little blue switch that pulls up is that the reset button. One more unrelated question you might be able to help me with. The TV was working fine on 12V but now it doesn’t work on 12V only works when camper is hooked up. The 12V socket is working as I’ve plugged in my ph and another device with a cigarette end and there is power at the socket.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #9
Theres several different

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #10
Check your leisure battery is fully charged and not getting a bit tired, batteries can die at this time of year

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #11
Quote by witzend

Theres several different valves mines red and needs to be pulled up to reset I keep it in this position with a clothes peg while using van they open when temps drop or 12v power is removed. Do a google for truma frost protection valve clik images and you'll see most types

They do not drop open if the heating is turned on no matter how cold it gets outside.
While heading to Spain in January 2017 it was so cold in France that one morning we found an icicle had formed from the flue vent to the ground. The moisture in the flue gasses had condensed and frozen as it had been about -8°C outside.

BTW, a good reason to use Propane.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #12
freezing conditions

Bounder
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #13
Mine has no electrical function, It must be just a mechanical thermoswitch.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #14
Quote by whitesands 2

Thanks Baguette, yea that sounds pretty much what has happened. So there is a little blue switch that pulls up is that the reset button. One more unrelated question you might be able to help me with. The TV was working fine on 12V but now it doesn’t work on 12V only works when camper is hooked up. The 12V socket is working as I’ve plugged in my ph and another device with a cigarette end and there is power at the socket.

A phone charger only needs 5 volts to charge.
Try pluging the tv into the dash cig socket with your ignition turned on as this is your engine battery. If it works, it is your leisure battery is not holding charge.
If it doesn't work, there is usually a round glass fuse fitted into the 12 volt plug. Un screw the tip and it should fall out.
Malcolm

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #15
Quote by Bounder

Mine has no electrical function, It must be just a mechanical thermoswitch.

I wouldn't fancy having had that type two years ago o.O , I would have had no hot water for my morning shower,

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #16
Quote by whitesands 2

The TV was working fine on 12V but now it doesn’t work on 12V only works when camper is hooked up. The 12V socket is working as I’ve plugged in my ph and another device with a cigarette end and there is power at the socket.

Don’t think it could be a fuse. Power is getting through when on EHU or when a phone charger is plugged in (and presumably when not on EHU if I understand you correctly?). I think your battery could be knackered. If the 2 to 3 amps needed to power your TV is pulling your battery low then the battery is the issue. And that might not be unrelated to the water tank solenoid emptying.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #17

A slightly different type of 12 volt plug but the same principle of a fuse fitted inside the tip.
Malcolm

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #18
at some time

whitesands 2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #19
Lads thanks a million for all the info. Have to say ye are definitely a mind of information. I will try all over the next few days. That’s if I don’t end up in the big house I’m almost gone around the bend, spending everyday in the shed till this time of the night putting camper right. Replaced beams in floor of gas locker, and side wall beams, now have back bumper pulled off and am replacing part of back beam. When one comes in after getting hardship all day it’s great to sit down and read all the replies, Thanks a million appreciated 🤙

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #20
Wait until you experience a mug of your own coffee sitting in your own camper while looking out at the Atlantic Ocean, then all of the hours on the flat of your back will be forgotten.
Do a search on Waxoyl, here. It may stop the future rot.
Malcolm

whitesands 2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #21
Yes looking forward to that Thorn. Ya must look up that waxoyl, now it’s not bad the gas locker was the only really bad bit, and a slight bit at back two corners then I’m hoping that’s it all sorted. I will run all around top to bottom then and seal everywhere, when at home it will be always in the shed so should stay sound.

whitesands 2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #22
Would it be a good idea or bad to run a length of plastic angle along the bottom beam of walls, or would it just retain water.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.