Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Newcastle height barriers

· 
Posted: 02.01.2019  ·  #41
Quote by Helgahobby

I've just emailed the local MP, Chris Hazzard, southdownmp@gmail.com asking for clarification.
Not expecting an answer though!!

That will depend on whether or not there is an election coming up :lol:

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2019  ·  #42
When the height barriers were first passed by the council it was Hazzards party who were chair of the relevant committee. Their local councillor was photographed beside a Motorhome all smiles and stating provision would be made for visitors. I approached his office on three different occasions after this asking for a meeting and never got as much as an acknowledgement. Interestingly the committee who put forward the legislation heard evidence from complainants but had not the wit or decency to ask for input by any one in the motorhoming world.

Someone from another Motorhome group did after that complain about disabled access being denied, but the council apperantly held an equality impact assessment which overruled the complaint. My guess is because there is plenty of disabled parking provision throughout the town for daytime parking which was not of course the issue. Overnight parking is the issue and despite there not being any signage in any council carpark that I have ever come across there exists a bylaw which restricts parking to a maximum of 12 hours. Most carparks in the North have been transferred from central government to become Council owned and regulated. I don’t know what impact that has on Baguettes statement. A similar situation is in train with forest parks beginning with the obvious Gosford fiasco.

Any way I think after much expense the barriers have been manufactured. These are not ordinary plain steel barriers but ‘fancy’, and had to be approved in a further meeting by the council due to cost, so I cannot see much chance of a u turn.

Since then I have worked with an SDLP MLA and also a councillor to try and limit the damage and at least secure some provision in the town. I stated at the time it was a damage limitation exercise. There is acceptance by the two elected representatives of the value of our money spent in the town and to that end I have been working with the council officer in charge of carparks in the district. We have had several meetings including bringing my van to locations for information and education purposes.

We have discussed and visited around five alternative locations, but these decisions all require patience and time. In the short term when the barriers do go up at the Downs road car park and the Glen river car park, may I suggest you park at the rock swimming pool carpark which is only a hundred metres or so further south of the Glen river carpark. Or if you wish, Park in the Donard carpark, although this would not be my choice as the spaces are tight and it could be noisy, avoid the coach parking spots if you do decide to use it though. I don’t envisage any issues from the council on these locations.

Another spot under consideration, but which would need an existing barrier removed, but could be pleasant is the Island park on the Bryansford Avenue. I have pushed another two locations but will not name them as we don’t want another Donaghadee scenario. I am hoping that we end up with three or four locations each taking 3 to 5 vans all of which are not overlooked by residences or likely to draw attention to us other than the self inflicted damage we seem to be so capable of.

So that is the current status. I have not been in touch with the council for about 2 months now, but envisage when the barriers do go up to seek a meeting with the elected reps, my carparks official and also to try and get the tourist officials into the mix, but I have been treading water until we see what comes of the legal action in the N Down council area as this could have knockon effects.

Davy

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2019  ·  #43
See THIS LINK

Has the council fulfilled its obligations under Section 5

Section 13 is also interesting, particularly the reference to a local authority should appraise its parking policies and the way those policies are being implemented, to see which traffic management objectives are being met and where improvements are needed what have height restrictions have to do with traffic management

Also of note is the definition A Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) is a parking scheme which provides parking controls to ensure a balance of the needs of residents, businesses and visitors whilst ensuring the management of congestion,
again it's all about traffic management, nowhere can I find any reference to restricting access to parking on the basis of vehicle height.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2019  ·  #44
Quote by baguette

Height Barriers are illegal !!

Public car parks are 'Public Places' and subject to Road Traffic laws. By definition members of the public have a right of access.
A public car park with restricted access denies certain members of the public access to and use of that space for the purpose for which it provided (out of public funds).
Access by certain vehicles may be restricted if such vehicles might cause damage within the space. Examples of such are weight restrictions where the weight of a vehicle may cause damage to the surface or height restrictions where the height of the vehicle may cause it to strike overhead objects.

Having regard to all the above, measures which otherwise impede access to vehicles which seek only to park within a designated parking area would seem to be illegal and without basis in law, such measures would also seem to be overtly discriminatory against a certain category of vehicle user, based on the vehicle type.

With particular reference to Newcastle, it would be interesting to see just what law underpins the council's action of restricting access to the carpark mentioned.

Just wondering do Ambulances have a master key for all of those Height barriers? It would be a disaster if an accident occurred behind those Height Barriers and and an Ambulance or other rescue vehicle could not gain entry quickly.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2019  ·  #45
Laws only seem to apply when it is law abiding people that are made to adhere to them.
I passed a lay'by yesterday between Bellaghy and Castledawson which has been occupied for many months now by Caravans, Vans ,lorries and people known as travellers.
They now have one end of the lay'by closed with site fencing and a sign stating no entry,the bins are overflowing and not a law enforcement person to be seen.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2019  ·  #46

Just wondering do Ambulances have a master key for all of those Height barriers? It would be a disaster if an accident occurred behind those Height Barriers and and an Ambulance or other rescue vehicle could not gain entry quickly.

I know the ice-cream van on the east strand car park in Portrush has a key for the height barrier there! I got excited last summer when I turned the corner and the barrier was open but then the ice-cream van appeared and the driver closed and locked it after. 🙄. I would say it would not take a fire crew long getting rid of a padlock.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2019  ·  #47
Quote by baguette

See THIS LINK

Has the council fulfilled its obligations under Section 5

Section 13 is also interesting, particularly the reference to a local authority should appraise its parking policies and the way those policies are being implemented, to see which traffic management objectives are being met and where improvements are needed what have height restrictions have to do with traffic management

Also of note is the definition A Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) is a parking scheme which provides parking controls to ensure a balance of the needs of residents, businesses and visitors whilst ensuring the management of congestion,
again it's all about traffic management, nowhere can I find any reference to restricting access to parking on the basis of vehicle height.

The only downside to the Dept of Transport document is the fact that we do not have a functioning government here in the north and any legislation which is passed in London needs to be passed again here. We have so many bits of legislation which are out of alignment before the downfall of the circus on the hill that it could be a very long time before it would be adopted, if it hasnt already been adopted. An item in point is the law on electric bikes here compared to everywhere else.

Also now with the dreaded Brexit will we have to have even more laws which are adrift from our neighbours both here on the island and those across the Irish Sea and no one to bring it all together!

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2019  ·  #48
Quote by ntg

Laws only seem to apply when it is law abiding people that are made to adhere to them.
I passed a lay'by yesterday between Bellaghy and Castledawson which has been occupied for many months now by Caravans, Vans ,lorries and people known as travellers.
They now have one end of the lay'by closed with site fencing and a sign stating no entry,the bins are overflowing and not a law enforcement person to be seen.

Saw that myself on the road to Dunloy last month, unreal

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.