Biz
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Imported motorhome plated weight

· 
Posted: 31.12.2018  ·  #1
Hi,
I'm planning to buy a used moho in NI, importing it into Republic (pre-Brexit).
The V5 shows a weight of 3700kg (although chassis plate shows 3650kg). Either weight is above B-licence limits.
Anyone out there know a) will I have to get it re-weighted for re-registration, b) does original UK weighing include full fuel load / fresh water / waste water / etc, c) can I just remove some heavy items (maybe mattresses, TV) to reduce the weight below 3500kg for re-registration?
Any other advise on reducing the liability to Revenue?
TIA

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Imported motorhome plated weight

· 
Posted: 31.12.2018  ·  #2
Ronan there is a company www.svtech.co.uk/motorhomes/ who will sort out the revelant details and get your new log book, for 3.5t. They have been around for many years and I have used them for both motorhomes and trucks. You will have to be realistic of your weights as you can be stopped on a roadside check and be fined heavily for being overweight.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.12.2018  ·  #3
The weight you refer to (3700 or 3650) is the GVW of the MH. In other words it is the maximum weight that the MH can be to comply with law. It is the weight of everything ie fuel, water, camping equipment, food, clothing, passengers etc.

Be careful about down rating the GVW, many MH have an inadequate weight allowance for everything you want to carry.

Strongly suggest you get th MH weighed before you buy it and get the official weight docket with a detailed list of what was included at the time of weighing eg how much fuel, water, was the driver on board etc.

You need the weight of each axle and the total weight and then compare that to the plate, 1on the plate is max weight on front axle, 2on the plate is max weight on the rear axle.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.01.2019  ·  #4
In the RoI, it's the weight on the plate which counts. Our equivalent of the V5 form RF101 most often just has 1kg showing as the GVW and is generally a work of fiction.
If you don't have a C1 on your licence bring the GVW back to 3,500kg is a paper exercise and as said SV Tech are well recommended, they will issue a new plate and support documents.
It is likely that the MH was originally 3,500kg GVW and was up-rated for an owner with C1 on their licence to give an extra bit of payload.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.