eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Extras to buy to make wild camping easier

· 
Posted: 13.12.2018  ·  #41
05 van probably has a 30 mb regulator fitted and the butane bottle has a 28 mb regulator so you can see the problem, the cooker and heating should be OK but the fridge needs 30 to run it'll probably run but it won't be happy

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2018  ·  #42
Lots of opinions on previous posts but here are a few facts.

Propane gas is better at supplying a larger number of appliances at the same time due to its greater off-take rate, and it can be used in sub-zero temperatures, whereas butane begins to produce less gas below about 4C.

Until September 2003, motorhomes used a different regulator depending on which gas was being used to provide the appropriate operating pressures, 28mbar (millibar) for butane and 37mbar for propane.

Since September 2003 a European standard (EN 1949) has made the supply pressure the same for both gases throughout the EU at 30mbar. While pre-2003 units still require different regulators depending on the gas used, all current built units run at 30mbar, and this figure should be marked in the gas locker near to the regulator

tutti
Subject:

Gas system

· 
Posted: 14.12.2018  ·  #43
Thanks for all the replies,most which have gone over my head!/ I ve tried to upload pic but its gone somewhere into the ether. Can anyone recommend a dealer /fitter near dublin i could discuss this with in 2019?
Cheers
Brendan

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2018  ·  #44
Any plumber with their gas papers should be able sort you sort.
The regulator, pigtail pipes, couplings, etc are standard market available.
Previously we had an old caravan which was stocked with butane gas. Half on the appliances didn't work.
The butane gas has an oily residue which had blocked some of the gas pipes. A plumber mate of mine blew out the system with compressed air and fixed up everything to propane in a couple of hours.
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Extras to buy to make wild camping easier

· 
Posted: 14.12.2018  ·  #45
Quote by tutti

Thanks for all the replies,most which have gone over my head!/ I ve tried to upload pic but its gone somewhere into the ether. Can anyone recommend a dealer /fitter near dublin i could discuss this with in 2019?
Cheers
Brendan

Manooth Motorhomes is Probably the closest.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2018  ·  #46
Quote by Thorn123

Any plumber with their gas papers should be able sort you sort.
The regulator, pigtail pipes, couplings, etc are standard market available.
Previously we had an old caravan which was stocked with butane gas. Half on the appliances didn't work.
The butane gas has an oily residue which had blocked some of the gas pipes. A plumber mate of mine blew out the system with compressed air and fixed up everything to propane in a couple of hours.
Malcolm

Just to clarify, he disconnect the regulator in the gas locker first and then each individual appliances. He then blew the compressed air from the appliance side towards the gas locker. Doing it this way, the dirt ended up in the gas locker not in a expensive water heater or a fridge. Each jet was removed and a quick clean with a needle file. There was one section of gas piping which ran underneath the floor in the chassis which he changed to modern pvc coated copper.
All done with gas cert for the price of a good night out in the pub.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2018  ·  #47
red label on propane and blue on butane

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2018  ·  #48
Quote by witzend

Quote by tutti

Hi,I was hoping for some advice on this topic regarding gas I'm hoping to spend about six months in France/Spain next year

French Gas is easily obtained at most super market filling stations I only use French gas and obtain it from the Intermarche chain of stores outlets all over France the bottle deposit is 1€ yes 1 €. the threaded connection is 21.8 L/H thread 4 weeks ago I bought a 11kg bottle for 19€

Picture is Intermarche bottle both propane & butane have the same connector only difference is the red label on propane and blue on butane

There also is a problem, you have to have room to store the extra bottle as they do not do exchange for our bottles.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2018  ·  #49
You only need to do that once Martin. I have French cylinder here 3/4 full and will bring it with me next trip. I then have a French one to exchange when I run out

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2018  ·  #50
Quote by Daffysparks

You only need to do that once Martin. I have French cylinder here 3/4 full and will bring it with me next trip. I then have a French one to exchange when I run out

Yes that's the way to go when your in France regularly.
In my case I have two cylinders (propane) what I would do if going long-term is to travel with one and then get a French one .
The problem, you would have if you got an extra one is the storage,it would have to be secured and accessible for insurance reasons.
It probably wouldn't fit into the gas locker with two original bottles fitted.
Those with a garage would be able to arrange to have security straps fitted,the last thing you want is a loose bottle.
Spain have the same regulator as our Butane on a yellow bottle like ours but they have a new series of bottles that look like beer keg's,(same Reg.) so I don't think you would get an exchange.
I'll ask my buddy what the rental charge is.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2018  ·  #51
Aye. I have two as well. Will bring a full Irish one as well. That will be ample for the few weeks I’ll be there, providing no leaks like last year ☹

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2018  ·  #52
Quote by sprinter

Quote by witzend

Quote by tutti

Hi,I was hoping for some advice on this topic regarding gas I'm hoping to spend about six months in France/Spain next year

French Gas is easily obtained at most super market filling stations I only use French gas and obtain it from the Intermarche chain of stores outlets all over France the bottle deposit is 1€ yes 1 €. the threaded connection is 21.8 L/H thread 4 weeks ago I bought a 11kg bottle for 19€

Picture is Intermarche bottle both propane & butane have the same connector only difference is the red label on propane and blue on butane

There also is a problem, you have to have room to store the extra bottle as they do not do exchange for our bottles.

A person I know 'forgot' to stow his empty Irish bottle after he got a Spanish one and drove off without it :P

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2018  ·  #53
I have a Franch and a Spanish bottle.
When going to France & Spain I take both. When in France the Spanish one is back-up and vice versa in Spain.
If the trip is France only I take a full Irish bottle as back-up.

For travel elsewhere, I try to leave France with both full and hope for the best, but I do have a Camping Gaz 901 as an emergency back-up.

There are places (usually depots with bulk storage) where you can get ordinary bottles refilled or topped up.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2018  ·  #54
bought 2 on arrival

Gerrit
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Auto-Roller 746
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #55
All this talk about Irish, Spanish and French gas is a bit confusing. Can someone perhaps point me to a discussion on the differences or explain it to me?
Our motorhome came with Calor 6kg Propane bottles from UK. Will I be able to fill these in Ireland, UK, Spain, France? These are countries we plan to visit.
Or should I get another type of bottle as well to ensure compatibility in these countries?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #56
You can buy adapters to suit most countries
AFAIK UK is different to ROI. France the same as ROI. Spain is different again. I think but not sure, that Germany is different again

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #57
Quote by Gerrit

All this talk about Irish, Spanish and French gas is a bit confusing. Can someone perhaps point me to a discussion on the differences or explain it to me?
Our motorhome came with Calor 6kg Propane bottles from UK. Will I be able to fill these in Ireland, UK, Spain, France? These are countries we plan to visit.
Or should I get another type of bottle as well to ensure compatibility in these countries?

The bottles you have in that picture are NOT the refillable type, or to put it correctly they are the type that you exchange for a full replacement. If you are going to be touring extensively in Europe then a couple of refillable tanks and an external filler point may be the way to go as many petrol stations have LPG (GPL in France) on self service pumps.
The self refillable tanks differ from the exchange type as they have a safety 80% full valve and a separate refill port.....not to say that you cannot refill the ordinary ones but that’s a complete other ball game and you need to know how to do it properly, have the correct refill adapters and its a bone of contention among many motorhomes as it can be dangerous and difficult to do.

A cheaper option is to take one bottle with you, purchase a French one with a regulator and use it and keep your UK/ROI bottle as backup.... that way you can exchange a bottle anywhere in France.
We’ve never had any difficulty getting gas in France or Spain.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #58
Quote by JJF

Quote by Gerrit

The bottles you have in that picture are NOT the refillable type, or to put it correctly they are the type that you exchange for a full replacement. If you are going to be touring extensively in Europe then a couple of refillable tanks and an external filler point may be the way to go as many petrol stations have LPG (GPL in France) on self service pumps.
The self refillable tanks differ from the exchange type as they have a safety 80% full valve and a separate refill port.....not to say that you cannot refill the ordinary ones but that’s a complete other ball game and you need to know how to do it properly, have the correct refill adapters and its a bone of contention among many motorhomes as it can be dangerous and difficult to do.

A cheaper option is to take one bottle with you, purchase a French one with a regulator and use it and keep your UK/ROI bottle as backup.... that way you can exchange a bottle anywhere in France.
We’ve never had any difficulty getting gas in France or Spain.

The pigtail showing in your photo has a male fitting at the bottle end and is unique to the UK.
To use Irish, French, German and other European bottles yo need THIS TYPE, you then get ONE OF THESE to make a connection to the 'clip-on' type of bottle and also ONE OF THESE if you want to use a Camping Gaz bottle.

I keep a 907 Camping Gaz as an emergency back up when travelling in Europe

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #59
REf Spanish Gas, I have been using spanish butane for the past 20 years both in a property and caravan and never had any problems. I was under the impression that propane was only necessary when it went below freezing or you needed a higher heat like laying an asphalt roof. I bought a stainless steel type spanish bottle which I use in Spain and refill when needed and the flogas one to travel up and down. The spanish bottles can be got at carboot sales or in the small ads in Spain. The southern irish butane bottle is the same size regulator as the spanish. Spanish gas is the same price all over as it is regulated by the goverment

Gerrit
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #60
Thanks for all the explanations, I'm off to bed now but will go through them in detail tomorrow!

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #61
slightly different thread than the French one

Gerrit
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #62
Thanks for the advice, especially the links @baguette posted to the items I would need.
Does it make sense to buy the fittings, replace the empty bottle with an Irish bottle, then change over to the new fittings once the other Calor bottle is also empty?
I didn't even know it was possible to fill your own gas bottles. In South Africa where I'm from, you can only exchange an empty bottle with a full one (similar to the Calor setup it seems).

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #63
Quote by Gerrit

Thanks for the advice, especially the links @baguette posted to the items I would need.
Does it make sense to buy the fittings, replace the empty bottle with an Irish bottle, then change over to the new fittings once the other Calor bottle is also empty?
I didn't even know it was possible to fill your own gas bottles. In South Africa where I'm from, you can only exchange an empty bottle with a full one (similar to the Calor setup it seems).

If you are going to get Irish Propane bottles, check the cost some dealers will charge you as much as €35 for the bottle and then charge you for the fill. ( that for me is close to a years supply of gas )
I got gas recently from Tallagh Fuels and the lad told me his Dad does not charge for bottles and they were the cheapest for refills I have come across. I know you are in Wexford but it would be well worthwhile if you were going to Dublin or down the N7 to call into them.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #64
Equally some merchants give a refund on empty cylinders not needed.
I returned an empty yellow clip on, got a refund but my new red propane needed a fiver with the refund.
Every little bit helps.
Malcolm

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #65
An article in a motorhome magazine this month.

Gerrit
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #66
Quote by sprinter

Quote by Gerrit

If you are going to get Irish Propane bottles, check the cost some dealers will charge you as much as €35 for the bottle and then charge you for the fill. ( that for me is close to a years supply of gas )
I got gas recently from Tallagh Fuels and the lad told me his Dad does not charge for bottles and they were the cheapest for refills I have come across. I know you are in Wexford but it would be well worthwhile if you were going to Dublin or down the N7 to call into them.

Thanks, I'm sure we'll head in that direction soon, I'll make sure to go visit them.

Gerrit
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #67
Quote by JJF

An article in a motorhome magazine this month.

Looks interesting, unfortunately the image is too small to make out the text. Which magazine is this from?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #68
baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #69
If you are in need of empties to exchange for refill most recycle sites have empties thrown. Saves having to pay a deposit.
If going for Calor propane an empty Calor butane will do.

davetherave
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2018  ·  #70
The guy that I get 11kg propane Calor clip on bottles from says Calor are not doing them any more

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2018  ·  #71
Are you referring to the 35mm jumbo fitting, the same as the butane connection?
I wouldn't be to worried about that tbh, most propane here has the 21L/H thread same as the UK Butane connection.
I made an order with Hamilton gas for a few bits and it arrived this morning, very ,very fast delivery.
With a 27mm clip on adaptor, a 21.8Lmm screw fitting that will do for Ireland(Propane) UK (Butane) and a lot of French Propane/Butane suppliers all you may need is a 21mm clip on adaptor for the odd French bottle that doesn't accept the 21.8L fitting and you are covered for a large part of Europe.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Gaslow or similar

· 
Posted: 19.12.2018  ·  #72
There are so many advantages to gaslow or similar refillable system and to me and how I use my van only 1 disadvantage; the initial cost £500 to £700. But once you have the system there is nothing to stop you moving it if you get a new MH.
I can fill using my external fill point at any garage that sells lpg. I never have a problem finding garages in France, Spain or Portugal, my hangouts when touring. I don’t have to guess how much gas you have left as they have gauges, you never have to change a bottle when it’s a quarter full just because you want to have a full bottle for your trip, you don’t have to lift and manoeuvre bottles in and out of your gas locker, filling up your bottles is or can be cheaper than buying it by the bottle.
For me who doesn’t stay in one place for long and uses lots of gas because I wild camp a lot it’s a great system.

davetherave
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #73

Hi, I have just bought my first motorhome and am hoping to take the family to France this summer. My parents had a motorhome all their lives and have given me the gas bottle they bought in France a few years ago. I was hoping to bring it with me to France and get it refilled or exchange it for a full one.

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get this bottle exchanged in France and also what type of connector I need to connect it. I have a 30mbar bulk head regulator in my motorhome.

Thanks in advance

Davetherave

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #74
U filling stations + other places

davetherave
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #75
Thanks for the info Witzend

timcon
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #76
French cube bottle uses same connection as irish Calor patio gas 6 or 11 kg.

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #77
Well the post is about making wild camping easier.

I have a little Mr. Muscle spray bottle filled with a weak solution of blue bottom tank fluid.

If just having a Jimmy Riddle I give the pan a quick spray so that I don't fill the cassette any more than I have to.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.