ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Dog motion sickness

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #1
We recently got a new pup, he is 18 weeks old and very boisterous. So far he is learning very quickly and settling well to his new home
One big problem we have is that even on short journeys of only 2 or 3 miles in the car, his gets very sick, drools and pants a lot.
I am hoping he will grow out of this, but can any craicers offer any advice, I know there are lots of dog owners on MHC.
We have travelled around France and Spain with dogs before, but they were always rescue dogs and were over 2 or 3 years old .
Thanks in advance.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Dog motion sickness

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #2
One of our Shih Tzu's is exactly the same. He never grew out of it, the only thing we could do was not feed him if we were heading off. He still salivated but it was the best we could do unless we got rid of him or left him at home.

3 years later and he is still the same if we travel in a european Motorhome, I'm not kidding, he is grand in the RV and he was grand in the RV we had briefly a couple of years ago. There are only three things that we think it might be.

1. Suspension is softer, so no bangs or rattles.
2. There is more space, less cramped, more roomy.
3. Carpet, although we don't have any at home.

So not a lot of help, but we tried what we could and only changing the vehicle helped.

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #3
Thanks Ally, any advice is much appreciated, I'll try anything.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #4
Could just be stress or fear. Start with putting him in the car, start the engine for a couple of minutes but don't go anywhere. Then reward him. After a couple of days, Move on to a very short drive up the road and home again. Reward him. Am sure you get the idea. Built it up slowly and hopefully he will start to accept the road trips as part of his daily routine. Good luck with the puppy.

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2018  ·  #5
Thanks, I'll get started today . I've heard that ginger snap biscuits work at calming motion sickness, might try those as treats. I've tried Pet Remedy spray, but it might make it worse!!!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.