Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

London with the motorhome

· 
Posted: 07.12.2018  ·  #1
Hi guys,
We're trying to get the ferrys finalised for the summer and are trying to plan on how much time for England (driving Dover to Holyhead). We're wondering isheading into London to see the sights an option. We've seen mention of some campsites close enough to the city (Crystal Palace for example), but then we see London has a "Low Emission Zone" - is this something that means we can't bring our large 6 berth camper that close to the city?
Where has anyone else stayed if they want to go see London? Of course, we'd expect to have to get public transport into the city but would prefer if this wasn't an expensive\long-winded task.

Thanks in advance

Phelim

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: London with the motorhome

· 
Posted: 07.12.2018  ·  #2
No, It depends on the emmisions and the euro mark of your engine all this info is available on traveling through London charges and maps ,which is inside the M25

limi
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus 580 Travel Liner
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2018  ·  #3
I have used Chertsey camping and caravanning club site post code XT 168 JX before and used the train into London, It's outside the emissions zone,

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2018  ·  #4
The London LEZ (Low Emission Zone) is regulated according to registration date, not Euro Emissions rating.

Check how you're fixed HERE

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2018  ·  #5
Any one interested in crossing London should type in on your computer www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhomesfag/london-low-emissions-zone and you will see the listings for the under 2.5tonnes/ 2.5 to 3.5 tonnes/ over 3.5 tonnes. There is a new Ultra L.E.Z coming into force on 8th April next year. There is a bit about Northern Ireland registered and others should be registered with LEZ at least 10 days before entering the zone. I know this is minefield because my sons had to sell good trucks and buy new ones, the old ones would cost £200 a day to enter London

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2018  ·  #6
We stayed 3 nights at http://www.highclerefarmpark.co.uk camping located close to a the quaint village of Chalfont St Giles which is close to the M25@ £28 per night with water and EHU. The campsite is split in two with a larger area with controlled access via a height bar and unrestricted hard standing area close to reception. We were close to the reception so could come and go as we pleased. Word of warning… do not use Garmin to reach the campsite as it will send you up and down single track lanes!!! Best to access from the M25 @ Junction 18 and Rickmansworth Road avoiding every road with “Lane” in the title. Very convenient for Harry Potter world and there is a Green King chain pub in the village which is a 10min walk from the campsite and serves meals if you don’t fancy cooking that night. Short Taxi ride from site to get direct trains to London.

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #7
https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/…club-site/

Fair walk to the train, but under a tenner in a cab.

We stayed here in Jan. the site is fine, normal Caravan & MH Club standard. The train was to Kings X. We brought the dog too which was handy.

norma
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: VW T5
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2019  ·  #8
Crystal Palace campsite has a bus that goes from just outside the gate into the centre of London (an interesting ride in its own right!)
As someone said you would have to look up the emission rules.
The other possibility is to find somewhere about an hour away on a rail route and get a day return in. They are usually about the same price as a single, so good value.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2019  ·  #9
You may want

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2019  ·  #10
Most cities world wide operate tourism packages for public transport. 1/3/7 days unlimited public transport with possibly a few attractions thrown in.
There are usually available from a tourist information office.
Malcolm

norma
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: VW T5
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2019  ·  #11
yes, the buses don't take cash but, as said there are various deals. Also you can just swipe your credit card on buses and tubes...

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2019  ·  #12
Unlike the rest of Europe, the criteria for the LEZ is the date of first registration NOT the actual emission rating.
While my own mh gets a green sticker for France and Germany it is banned from the LEZ due to its date of first registration.

I have sent all sorts of documentation to the LEZ people showing my mh has Euro4 category emissions but they only look at its date of registration and on that basis refuse access to within the LEZ area.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2019  ·  #13
Quote by norma

yes, the buses don't take cash but, as said there are various deals. Also you can just swipe your credit card on buses and tubes...

Not sure about the buses but the tube will cost approx £6 per day no matter how many journeys you make as long as you swipe you debit/credit card each time

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2019  ·  #14
London lez

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.