Insurance

Siomyk
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Conversion issues

· 
Posted: 30.11.2018  ·  #1
Hi guys, want to do my own ambulance converversion and have been told that I won't even get cover for picking it up and the major issues will begin once I've converted it as I've been told that insurance companies will want so much stuff like engineers reports, electricians and gas fitters reports. I will get qualified fitters to do the gas and lecc of course. Anyone any advice TIA S

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

Re: Conversion issues

· 
Posted: 30.11.2018  ·  #2
All of that is true and on top of that you will be liable for vrt to to register it as a camper. I personally don’t think it is worth the hassle any more, there are hundreds of Motorhomes for sale on Done deal alone not to mention what is in dealers yards and other for sale sites.

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2018  ·  #3
Siomyk
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2018  ·  #4
Taking that on board peeps thanks.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2018  ·  #5
Any opinions on buying a secondhand and getting the likes of Vanderlust, or some other professional outfit to handle the conversion? I presume they guide you through the whole process and paper work, and take on the role of SQI etc. A 5 year old factory convertion still ain’t cheap. And they rarely seem to come up for sale. Just wondering 🤔

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2018  ·  #6
forum/topic.php?t=14813
David is qualified to complete the paperwork and vehicle standards side of things. Give him a ring and he eill quote your the cost for such a service.
I work at truck bodybuilding, and now if we change a truck body, for example from a fridge body to a tipper body, we use his services for the log book changes.
Malcolm

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.11.2018  ·  #7
Try British Car Auctions on line ,there is a big one of motorhomes and caravans in Nottingham on December 12 . If there is no MoT you can always book one at garage next to a Ferry and then another where you live to keep you street legal.

A-Gally
Craic'er
My Motorhome: The Wagon
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.12.2018  ·  #8
Ambulance to a camper is no problem. I've just done exactly that.
All the insulation, lighting ,heating ,wiring for 12v and 220v is already there all I had to do is get the gas put in ,make some units to house the cooker (2 ring) and sink, make a fold out bed, curtains and a few more evening or weekend jobs and you have a camper that suits your needs.
By the way its good fun designing and building the interior to what ever you want.
Sure there is a bit of paper work to be done but no big hassle.
Go for it

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.12.2018  ·  #9
Quote by A-Gally

Sure there is a bit of paper work to be done but no big hassle.
Go for it
I would be very interest to know what was the exact paper exercise that you done. I.e as in.

1. Did you bring it to the NCT for them to take photos of it etc.

2. What Insurance company you used and how much they charged. ( I do know that some Companies wont insure Conversions from Ambulances.)

3. Did you get it put into the right Category in the log book from ( N1.. to M1. ) Or maybe it's Classed as a ( Category D vehicle that is a special purpose vehicle such as an ambulance, or a fire engine. I also believe there can be a few other discrepancies on the log book as well. As in Make, Model, and sometimes the incorrect weight.

And how long ago did you do it.

Cheers Thanks.

vino
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: panel van conversion
Base Vehicle: citroen relay 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.12.2018  ·  #10
I converted my own campervan, when finished take it to VRT office and they will take pictures and look for receipts ( I had a big envelope full of receipts and the girl nearly fell off her chair,she did'nt look at them ). They will also look for cert. from SQI, a local garage did mine for 90 euro, no word of gas or electric cert.They will come back to you in about a week with VRT amount, I have to say I was very pleased with the amount they quoted. I was already insured with Dolmen so I just transferred insurance onto new van,sent them all the details inc. photo's. No problems and the girls in the VRT office were very helpful.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.12.2018  ·  #11
Quote by hymer524

3. Did you get it put into the right Category in the log book from ( N1.. to M1. ) Or maybe it's Classed as a ( Category D vehicle that is a special purpose vehicle such as an ambulance, or a fire engine.............................................

An Ambulance, like a motor caravan, is a special purpose EU Category M vehicle, not category N.

"Ambulances" means motor vehicles of Category M intended for the transport of sick or injured people and having special equipment for such purpose

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.12.2018  ·  #12
Does that mean no change of use on logbook ??

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.12.2018  ·  #13
Quote by baguette

Quote by hymer524

3. Did you get it put into the right Category in the log book from ( N1.. to M1. ) Or maybe it's Classed as a ( Category D vehicle that is a special purpose vehicle such as an ambulance, or a fire engine.............................................

An Ambulance, like a motor caravan, is a special purpose EU Category M vehicle, not category N.

"Ambulances" means motor vehicles of Category M intended for the transport of sick or injured people and having special equipment for such purpose

is it not liable for vrt so?

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.12.2018  ·  #14
Quote by baguette

Quote by hymer524

:up: Correct baguette a typo on my part. But I'm Still interest to know what is on his log book.

Quote by Daffysparks

Does that mean no change of use on logbook ??

Quote by CHAUSSON

is it not liable for vrt so?

Very interesting Questions there lads. (This if why I'm interest as to what is on A-Gally van log book under J. ) as his is an ambulance.
maybe I'm reading it wrong. :-)

""VRT Category D (EU Categories M and N)
A VRT Category D vehicle is a special purpose vehicle such as an ambulance, a fire engine or a vehicle used in the transportation of road construction machinery. VRT Category D vehicles are not associated with a specific EU Category and are charged at the rate of nil per cent of the value of the vehicle.""

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.12.2018  ·  #15
Leaving the log book issue aside for the moment because even a brand new mh been registered in Shannon, can get its details ballsed up on the log book.
My main concern is that an qualified automotive engineer will have to sign of the conversion build to satisfy an insurance underwriter. As part of the report, the auto engineer must list their qualifications, membership of afflicted fellowship , years of experience and list their current professional indemnity insurance.
In reality the engineer should be included from the beginning of the conversion because at the end, you are asking them to sign off on the labour and the materials used. In short its like building a house, made a mistake at any stage and the engineer puts a halt on the works.
I reckon that €300/500 would be a reasonable fee for all concerned, however, I have heard of guys charging up to €1500 for unsupported reports.
Insurance detail satisfaction is a myth, we all think that we have it, until we need it. One missing details and our insurance policy is as useful as an ashtray on a bike.
Malcolm

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.12.2018  ·  #16
I guess it’s like a lot of things in this country. To do it 100% right is so cost prohibitive that very few do it. But if you can get someone to sign the piece of paper, you are away on a hack. The amount of people that have said to me, I just want the piece of paper. I’ll give you x amount to sign it. Handy money until something goes wrong. Then all fingers are pointing at you 🤠

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.