Gerrit
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Auto-Roller 746
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Fencing for dogs?

· 
Posted: 20.11.2018  ·  #1
We're planning to take our two dogs with us on our trips, and would like to get some type of fencing which we can put up at the campsite to let them stretch their legs a bit. They tend to go off on their own mission if we let them off lead, so we can't just let them outside to run free.

So far the best solution I've found on Amazon is the roll-up plastic netting with long metal rods to keep it in place. I'll have to secure the bottom edge with tent pegs so the little terrier rascal can't worm his way underneath the netting.

Have anyone tried this solution or perhaps have a better idea for us to try?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oypla…B01178ZB7U
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Fencing for dogs?

· 
Posted: 20.11.2018  ·  #2
There were a lot of Dog Owners at castlewellan recently, they all had small fences that looked very smart with opening gates etc. I would say they wouldn't be cheap. I posted some on here a few years back.

I just found the topic but the link no longer worked so I have edited it.

topic is here: forum/topic.php?t=12793

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2018  ·  #3
Don’t know what kind of dogs you have, but I would think a plastic fence wouldn’t hold back much. I do know that our Elk hound ate a hole in a site fence panel on Halloween night when she was scared by the fire works in the local village. Many owners just tie them with a long chain etc to their van

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2018  ·  #4
We usually keep our one on a long stretchy lead. Which inevitably means untangling her from table and chair legs. We’ve lost a few glasses of wine in the process 😟

Gerrit
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2018  ·  #5
I've looked at the solid plastic fencing, but it looks like it will take up an awful lot of space in the garage.
Our dogs will surely be able to jump the plastic netting or squeeze through underneath if they really want to, but we won't leave them in the fenced area unattended.
I also thought of using a very long lead, and will try it, but it would be nicer to let them run free without worrying about leads getting tangled up.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2018  ·  #6
Our solution is a 10 metre plastic coated wire rope suspended from the van (awning rail) to a local object, tree, structure or to a peg in the ground.
We attach the dog leads to it so they run thru the rope, the dogs then have a 10 metre run as the leads run up and down the wire rope.

Gerrit
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2018  ·  #7
Quote by JJF

Our solution is a 10 metre plastic coated wire rope suspended from the van (awning rail) to a local object, tree, structure or to a peg in the ground.
We attach the dog leads to it so they run thru the rope, the dogs then have a 10 metre run as the leads run up and down the wire rope.

That's a good idea, we might try something similar as well.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2018  ·  #8
I was with Ally in Castlewellan and the fencing was very good at keeping in a variety of sized dogs but very bulky to be carried around, we use a medal type of peg that screws into the ground and their leads or a long cable attach to it, can be bought in pet shops etc

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2018  ·  #9
That greet stuff wont stop them and it'll be a nightmare to setup each time it can bend to weird shapes.

As JJF mentioned we keep 30 meters of marine rope with two metal carabiners I basically put the rope through the tow hook at either front or back of the van and tie my dogs to each end, which I find it gives them a lot of freedom if one is chilling the other has double the rope to move around.

Works great for is and I have two medium size dogs (30kg each), never an issue.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2018  ·  #10
We have two 10 metre plastic coated wire ropes for our two retrievers. Usually screwed into the ground with one of those spiral ground anchors. It gives them a large scope to move around. They usually dont budge too far when they're hooked up.

JJF's idea is a better one. Less chances of getting tangled.

Gerrit
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2018  ·  #11
It sounds like the rope idea is a better one than fencing, less setup time and takes up less space. Also more secure. We'll give that a go first and see how the dogs like it.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.