Ards & North Down Borough’s public car parks prohibited to Motorhomes - Donaghadee Aire closed

Donaghadee Aire Closed

Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Re: Ards & North Down Borough’s public car parks prohibited to Motorhomes - Donaghadee Aire closed

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #41
I had planned to go there for the weekend on the 16th. We love the place and usually cycle into town and up to Millisle to spend a few pounds. It is a very peaceful place to visit and walk around. I think I will still go and see what happens.

joeflo
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: Ards & North Down Borough’s public car parks prohibited to Motorhomes - Donaghadee Aire closed

· 
Posted: 05.11.2018  ·  #42
Spoke to Lewis at pier 36 and told him I’m sorry I will not be able to dine and drink at his restaurant any more due to a ban on Motorhome parking overnight (possibly between 7pm and 7am) at the commons, and I would be going elsewhere where parking was allowed. Told him a fellow Motorhomer was told at the council stand at the leisure show the ban would be enforced. He seemed shocked at that and he would make a few phone calls. I’m sure the restaurants we use would respond the same way if they are told they will lose business.

Liked by: roadrunner

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2018  ·  #43
Donaghadee Aire is advertised throughout the Motorhome community as we all know. There is no way that by putting it on here that it will get across to the majority of Motorhome owners in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal and so on.

I have a put a note on the App that it is temporarily closed but people are still going to go of course.

This sends completely the wrong message to Tourists and tourism, we are back to the fact that some caravan Site owners think they have a monopoly on Motorhome Tourism, they do not and they must not be allowed to continue to think that.

Some caravan site owners need to start working with the Motorhome community, not alientating them. I have received no replies since writing the following letter two years ago, not one ever.

An open letter to those Campsite Owners who oppose European style overnight Motorhome parking places, some information for you to digest, take on board, in an attempt to open dialogue in how we can support each other (Motorhomers and campsite owners) instead of Campsite owners alienating Motorhomers.

Some Facts:

* In this article the word 'Motorhomes' covers, Motorhomes, Campervans & RV's

• Motorhomes, being in the same vehicle category as cars under EU law can legally park anywhere a car can.
  • Motorhome owners can go for days without the use of a Campsite as they are self contained.
  • We carry fresh water, waste water tanks and most have facilities on board to cook, wash, shower and go to the toilet.
  • Most Motorhomes are self sufficient in food preparation.
  • We do require the use of facilities every few days, to service a Motorhome, refill of fresh water, charge batteries and empty toilets. Motorhomers will pay for this service.
  • We are not anti campsite.

Some Councils in Ireland have started adding service points for Motorhomes, they realise the benefit for tourism that this creates, providing such facilities also serves to counter the undesirable situation where some people find themselves forced to dispose of their grey and black water in an inappropriate manner.. Motorhomes are not Caravans and do not have caravan owners needs. But we do have needs which campsite owners can provide. They are two completely different types of market & clientelle.

Instead of some campsites opposing LEGAL Motorhome Parking here is a suggestion: allow Motorhomers to avail of your services by charging a reduced fee to service a Motorhome. Most of us do not require a pitch, electric hook up, play parks, swimming pools or any other of the things that a campsite may provide. But we will pay to service a Motorhome. Why not charge a fee for this and instead of turning away Motorhomers, make some money from them by opening your business to a different clientelle, one that would normally not visit your site. Perfect business sense?

Create an area for a Motorhome to visit for a short stay, or let them call in and use your services if they need too.

Basic servicing of a Motorhome:

• Fill up on board fresh water tanks, usually around 100 litres
  • Empty Grey waste tanks over a drive over drain
  • Empty toilet cassette

Those three simple things are already on most campsites and therefore those campsites can charge a fee for someone wishing to service their Motorhome.

If campsite owners all over Ireland provided this service, then it would be diversifying their business to keep up with the ever growing Motorhome popularity and provide a network for tourism which benefits us all.

By trying to oppose something that is legal some campsite owners are alienating the Motorhome community in Ireland. Campsite owners do not have a monopoly on holidays. The same as a restaurant cannot stop the opening of a Coffee Shop.

We can work together to benefit both parties or we can bury our heads in the sand which will not really affect Motorhome owners but will prove that Campsite owners are not eager to change their business model and move with the times ahead.

We are open to dialogue between all parties and if any campsite owners would like to comment, then please feel free to do so.

Please remember, Motorhomes can park legally anywhere a car can so help us to help you.

Motorhomecraic.com

Original thread: forum/topic.php?t=12939

joeflo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2018  ·  #44
Hi Ally
Good effort. Overseas visitors may not see details on here, but I have met people at the Aire from France, Holland, Germany, England, Scotland (strange none from Wales) and throughout Ireland. So they are getting the details somewhere. Maybe your great App Motorhome parking Ireland helps.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2018  ·  #45
Following on from this, does anyone know of a trade magazine for the tourist industry? Articles like this one could be sent in to see if the editors of such would come out on the side of progressive tourism.

Quote by Ally

Donaghadee Aire is advertised throughout the Motorhome community as we all know. There is no way that by putting it on here that it will get across to the majority of Motorhome owners in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal and so on.

I have a put a note on the App that it is temporarily closed but people are still going to go of course.

This sends completely the wrong message to Tourists and tourism, we are back to the fact that some caravan Site owners think they have a monopoly on Motorhome Tourism, they do not and they must not be allowed to continue to think that.

Some caravan site owners need to start working with the Motorhome community, not alientating them. I have received no replies since writing the following letter two years ago, not one ever.

An open letter to those Campsite Owners who oppose European style overnight Motorhome parking places, some information for you to digest, take on board, in an attempt to open dialogue in how we can support each other (Motorhomers and campsite owners) instead of Campsite owners alienating Motorhomers.

Some Facts:

* In this article the word 'Motorhomes' covers, Motorhomes, Campervans & RV's

• Motorhomes, being in the same vehicle category as cars under EU law can legally park anywhere a car can.
  • Motorhome owners can go for days without the use of a Campsite as they are self contained.
  • We carry fresh water, waste water tanks and most have facilities on board to cook, wash, shower and go to the toilet.
  • Most Motorhomes are self sufficient in food preparation.
  • We do require the use of facilities every few days, to service a Motorhome, refill of fresh water, charge batteries and empty toilets. Motorhomers will pay for this service.
  • We are not anti campsite.

Some Councils in Ireland have started adding service points for Motorhomes, they realise the benefit for tourism that this creates, providing such facilities also serves to counter the undesirable situation where some people find themselves forced to dispose of their grey and black water in an inappropriate manner.. Motorhomes are not Caravans and do not have caravan owners needs. But we do have needs which campsite owners can provide. They are two completely different types of market & clientelle.

Instead of some campsites opposing LEGAL Motorhome Parking here is a suggestion: allow Motorhomers to avail of your services by charging a reduced fee to service a Motorhome. Most of us do not require a pitch, electric hook up, play parks, swimming pools or any other of the things that a campsite may provide. But we will pay to service a Motorhome. Why not charge a fee for this and instead of turning away Motorhomers, make some money from them by opening your business to a different clientelle, one that would normally not visit your site. Perfect business sense?

Create an area for a Motorhome to visit for a short stay, or let them call in and use your services if they need too.

Basic servicing of a Motorhome:

• Fill up on board fresh water tanks, usually around 100 litres
  • Empty Grey waste tanks over a drive over drain
  • Empty toilet cassette

Those three simple things are already on most campsites and therefore those campsites can charge a fee for someone wishing to service their Motorhome.

If campsite owners all over Ireland provided this service, then it would be diversifying their business to keep up with the ever growing Motorhome popularity and provide a network for tourism which benefits us all.

By trying to oppose something that is legal some campsite owners are alienating the Motorhome community in Ireland. Campsite owners do not have a monopoly on holidays. The same as a restaurant cannot stop the opening of a Coffee Shop.

We can work together to benefit both parties or we can bury our heads in the sand which will not really affect Motorhome owners but will prove that Campsite owners are not eager to change their business model and move with the times ahead.

We are open to dialogue between all parties and if any campsite owners would like to comment, then please feel free to do so.

Please remember, Motorhomes can park legally anywhere a car can so help us to help you.

Motorhomecraic.com

Original thread: forum/topic.php?t=12939

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2018  ·  #46
Again on the heels of this, there are some if you google it.
I emailed this to one.
Northern Ireland Travel Magazine
There are others as well.

Dear Sirs,

I note that Ards and North Down council have been told they must stop motorhomes from staying overnight on their carparks.
This is at the foot of that particular council widening the scope for motorhome tourism.

If I may, can I show you a post in the largest motorhome forum, one that received not a single reply in over two years.

<snip>

unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: 1995 swift royal 610
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2018  ·  #47
Called into donaghadee today in the car couldn't see any signs forbidding overnight parking just the usual one saying only motor homes could park overnight maybe they have changed their minds

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2018  ·  #48
They haven't changed their minds, they can't. It's not the council that wants to close it.

But with no signs i'll read between the lines 😁

Negotiations still ongoing and we are doing what we can.

Get those emails of support sent into the council, speak to your own councillors, make a noise 😁

joeflo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2018  ·  #49
It would be good if we contact councillors and the council. I spoke to one who is not pleased as he is involved in establishing the Aires in the peninsula. He knew the problem at the commons but did not know the commons was closed to Motorhomes. Get phoning and writing.
I rang the tourist office requesting info as to where I could park up whilst touring the peninsula, and they were going to send me the site list, when I told her not to bother as I had rang them and found they are closed she was surprised. Rang me back the next day and said only Cloughey site would consider letting me in. But I could use the Aire at dundonald.
Hardly any good to visit the ards peninsula ?????

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2018  ·  #50
We were in Soldierstown and decided to relocate. To Donaghadee. Seems a bit quiet today with only three vans, one is me, one is English registration, can’t see the reg on the far one at the moment. Will have a nosey and see who’s who. Oh, we came here via home to pick up phone.

Thornwood
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2018  ·  #51
Planning to go next weekend on Saturday for a couple of nights. Do you think we will be moved on? Is there anyone checking?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2018  ·  #52
No news on the western front.

Keep emailing folks, let everyone know your opinion, Ards and North down Council, TourismNI, local Councils. If this alleged legal action wins it could set an awful precedent for motorhome owners in NI.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2018  ·  #53
Quote by Thornwood

Planning to go next weekend on Saturday for a couple of nights. Do you think we will be moved on? Is there anyone checking?

We were there at the weekend, nothing, but nothing, has changed or been altered. Could it be prudent to have small numbers there on a daily basis. Not that it will happen, but if someone came, on their own authority to move you on you'd have the choice of sitting tight or going up to the other carpark beside the old lifeboat.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2018  ·  #54
Quote by Helgahobby

Quote by Thornwood

We were there at the weekend, nothing, but nothing, has changed or been altered. Could it be prudent to have small numbers there on a daily basis. Not that it will happen, but if someone came, on their own authority to move you on you'd have the choice of sitting tight or going up to the other carpark beside the old lifeboat.

Exactly my thoughts,nobody is likely to go to jail for continuing to park here.
After all it is a car park and an Aires so if I am in that area I will definitely use it as long as it is not over crowded.

Thornwood
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2018  ·  #55
Here now in Donaghadee for a few nights. Three other MH here. Was speaking to one of the other MH owners who stayed last night without any problems.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2018  ·  #56
unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: 1995 swift royal 610
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #57
Sign up in donaghadee at the car park beside the old lifeboat no overnight sleeping

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #58
Ill be avoiding Donaghadee and Newcastle until I feel more welcome and am putting them on the same list as Howth. With a young family on board I don’t want any hassle or feel like there may be any. It would be different if I was staying in my own. Not a relaxing break if you think someone is going to knock on your door at any time.

We like to compile a list at the start of the year of places to visit and I’ll put a put a pen through those and stick to the likes of Portrush, Castleblaney and Cork.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #59
Quote by unhappy camper

Sign up in donaghadee at the car park beside the old lifeboat no overnight sleeping

You should put in a request to the revalant council, asking for the legal definition of overnight sleeping.
I am just wondering, what law is been enacted or are they doing a cute hoor trick.
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Ards & North Down Borough’s public car parks prohibited to Motorhomes - Donaghadee Aire closed

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #60
Quote by gavster1

Ill be avoiding Donaghadee and Newcastle until I feel more welcome and am putting them on the same list as Howth. With a young family on board I don’t want any hassle or feel like there may be any. It would be different if I was staying in my own. Not a relaxing break if you think someone is going to knock on your door at any time.

We like to compile a list at the start of the year of places to visit and I’ll put a put a pen through those and stick to the likes of Portrush, Castleblaney and Cork.

try putting the Hook on your List.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #61
Also stick some of the Irish Waterways Marinas on your list. Alot have playgrounds for the little people.
Malcolm

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #62
I’ve loads of places on my list from the app but just picked out a few council areas off the top of my head that seem very forward thinking with actual Aires with signs that effectively say Motorhomes welcome rather than keep on driving..

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #63
Quote by unhappy camper

I love that type of sign, they're not worth the paint.
Other than a person found asleep on a park bench or a vehicle without blinds like a car how can it be proved if a person is sleeping in a vehicle.
Be it a truck (with sleeper cab) or motorhome it's not a provable charge.

With blinds drawn, there is no way a person outside the vehicle can observe or collect evidence that a person is sleeping inside.
If a 'law' enforcer knocks on the vehicle and gets a response, the responder will not be asleep, unless sleep-walking, so the 'law' enforcer cannot testify the person was found sleeping, committing the 'crime'.
If the person inside the vehicle is soundly asleep and does not respond to attempts to get their attention and fails to come to the door the 'law' enforcer again cannot testify that he/she apprehended an offender in the act of sleeping.

Just don't be snoring too loud :P

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #64
With blinds drawn, there is no way a person outside the vehicle can observe or collect evidence that a person is sleeping inside.

They'll hear my snoring from the council offices so what's the fine and where do I pay it 😂😂

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #65
Our dog was snoring officer 😁

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Ards & North Down Borough’s public car

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #66
Quote by eirebus

They'll hear my snoring from the council offices so what's the fine and where do I pay it 😂😂

But when you bring and play you're patented snoring anti theft device that you were testing in the van to court. We I'll here the laughter down here.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #67
Do they not have a rule in some council car parks in England where you have to leave your blinds open to prove you are not sleeping in your van? I recall reading that somewhere. Not sure how enforceable it is mind you.

joeflo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #68
A local councillor I keep in contact with re donaghadee aire has told me a vw camper van drove up onto the grass at the aire and made a mess. This is not doing us any good.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #69
Quote by joeflo

A local councillor I keep in contact with re donaghadee aire has told me a vw camper van drove up onto the grass at the aire and made a mess. This is not doing us any good.

It certainly isnt. It would make you wonder what people have going through their heads, apart from a lot of empty space.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #70
I live just up the rd from the Dee' aire and have been checking. There always seems to be 2 or 3 staying over the weekends, even this time of year. It all looks the same, the bourne still works and there are no signs saying otherwise...

Thornwood
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #71
I was up there for two nights the weekend before last and everything was fine.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #72
The VW in question drove onto the grass just behind the service point, close to the wall or embankment and had erected a large awning/tent which looked almost like a Bedouin tent. It had a working stove chimney poking through a roof opening.

I have a photo of it but decided not to post it on a public forum as I did not want to draw more attention to it than necessary.

I have to say it was a well presented older van and the whole set up was interesting, but sadly totally inappropriate for what we are trying to achieve for the majority.

Davy

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #73
Quote by joeflo

Did the councillor do anything about,or have someone take the owner to task?

joeflo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #74
The cctv may tell the tail and the person involved may be dealt with

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Donaghadee Aire closed Topic information

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #75
Quote by joeflo

The cctv may tell the tail and the person involved may be dealt with

Good because if they don't punish the offender , it then becomes their fault, ( the councillors ). As a result, we all get the blame.

St.smith
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2019  ·  #76
Hello.

I only discovered this forum yesterday having seen your TourismNI award and have plucked up the courage to engage. So please excuse me for butting in and my atrocious internet etiquette.

Ally, who were you talking to in the Council and which department are they from? As I would like to call them to find out a bit more about the Council position. I live locally and have been talking to a couple of North Down Councillors about the provision of more facilities for Motorhomes and they tell me it is the officers who actually wield the power.

I see there was a few more people staying this weekend, in both the Marina and Commons car parks. It appears most wait until the Council enforcers have gone home for the day before setting up.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2019  ·  #77
We already have been in touch with the council and will remain so even after the issue is resolved as positive engagement will bring positive results in more than just Donaghadee

rodadriatik
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #78
I may be missing something here and I do appreciate that Ards and North Down Council have an ambivalent attitude to Motorhomes but the AIre is open. The issue appears to be the car park at the Marina, there are no signs at the Aire preventing Overnight stops.

Vanterrier
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2019  ·  #79
Hi all

First post on here. Has the problem at Donaghadee Aire Ben resolved at all? I was planning to head there after getting off ferry in Belfast in a couple of weeks but was shocked to see that it was closed to overnight camping. Is it safe to do so while this is ongoing ? If not, where would you advise me to stay for the night, are there any sensible acceptable wild sites nearby?

Your advice would be much appreciated

Cheers

K ;)

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2019  ·  #80
Quote by Vanterrier

Hi all

First post on here. Has the problem at Donaghadee Aire Ben resolved at all? I was planning to head there after getting off ferry in Belfast in a couple of weeks but was shocked to see that it was closed to overnight camping. Is it safe to do so while this is ongoing ? If not, where would you advise me to stay for the night, are there any sensible acceptable wild sites nearby?

Your advice would be much appreciated

Cheers

K ;)

Go and stay at Donahadee as you have planned,overnighting is continuing as usual and I have stayed there myself recently without any problem.
Enjoy your stay and ask for advice as required.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.