StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Spain and Portugal winter 2018

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #1
One week in and already our plans here changed significantly. The original plan was go anti clockwise from Santander and follow the northern Spanish coastline into Portugal, we really wanted to take our time in Galicia but after 3 great weather days we headed off from camping Perlora to Tapia a coastal aire €4 pay and display, we did, the only one of 6 vans that did. The weather was wild so the next day we went to Foz free aire alongside the sea but it was too windy so we ventured in land to area de ourol. Note in all the Aires book it is not one we would have chosen as the write up was not great, but we read some user reviews in the camper contact app and we were pleased we did. The aire isn’t level and careful chock positioning was needed. The aire is free includes all normal services and ehu.
Next we went to pontevedra a free town center aire.
Today we headed to Portugal far earlier than planned to estarraja €2 for upto 48 hrs including services inc ehu, we have stayed here before it’s in town and sheltered.

We met a MH owner on the ferry out who said diesel was €1.70 in Portugal but we found on the motorway it was €1.50 in town €1.40. Spain we paid €1.30.
The weather is due to improve tomorrow so back to the beach at Vagos is the plan and maybe stay a few days.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

Re: Spain and Portugal winter 2018

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #2
sounds great. enjoy your trip

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #3
Good stuff Jamie/Amanda.
We’re on the Algarve coast and weather changeable..... looks a lot better on the costas, decision to make.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #4
We found the year before last that even if you have a route it is sometimes better to turn around or take big steps forward if good weather is important. We will aim to spend more time in Galicia on the return route to Santander.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #5
That the joys of motorhome touring.
Destinations change due to weather, recommendations and traffic.
We find that getting lost is a brilliant suprise.
If you want a plan with a timetable, go and book a bus tour.
Enjoy your travels.
Malcolm

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Quick update

· 
Posted: 11.11.2018  ·  #6
The weather in Portugal is well, what I would describe as driving or drinking weather, lots and lots of rain so I have been choosing places with the surface in mind, no grass, we stayed at at Vila nova da barquinha roadside on dead end road opposite river and large very nice park. Now at Coruche in land still in Portugal in town next to Lidl and a bus station but surprisingly quiet and as it is going to rain all day we are staying for another night. Both of the last two Aires are free. I have now seen diesel at €1.33 in the supermarket garages. My lager in Portugal is 90c a bottle (1ltr) the same lager in Spain is 62c. This is supermarkets own brand.
Even though we have come to Portugal for the last 5 years we have previously avoided the tolls but this year in our quest to get further south we have used the tolls as the distance and time savings are massive in some cases plus non toll roads in Portugal are very very poor. I don’t know how much it has cost us in tolls as some are electronic and I have pre registered my card so the payments will be deducted automatically and then there are booths where you take a ticket and pay at the end of the stretch of the road. I have found the toll roads to be great quality and if you’re wanting to cover large distances then whatever they cost it’s much better than the N roads with endless speed humps.
Even though it’s raining the temperature is 20 degrees and the sun is due to return on Tuesday. I don’t know where I will be on Tuesday but next to a beach is very likely.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2018  ·  #7
Good stuff Jamie/Amanda. We've gone east, near Malaga.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2018  ·  #8
Quote by JJF

Good stuff Jamie/Amanda. We've gone east, near Malaga.

Should be a fair bit nicer there.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2018  ·  #9
You two are making us worker bees very jealous! Enjoy!!

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2018  ·  #10
Currently in Roquetas-de-mar, costa del Sol......
Weather has been mighty but rain forecast for the next few days. Currently still nice here.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

pain and Portugal winter 2018

· 
Posted: 14.11.2018  ·  #11
That a lovely area especially up along the coast we have holidayed in Retamar and San José. Its nice along the coast towards the Flamingo Lake at Cabo De Gato. there is also a very nice little town close by in the hills Nijar a town of Ceramics and rugs.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2018  ·  #12
A tale of 3 campsites in Portugal. Just to confirm that the perfect campsite depends on the camper.
We stayed on camping turiscampo, near Lagos as many people rate this as the best campsite on the algarve €17 pn with acsi card. It has amazingly showers and toilets with designer tiles and sanitary facilities (showers are push button though) there are outside pet showers and toilet block for children an indoor heated pool and outdoor pool, jacuzzis, gym, hairdresser, shop, bar, restaurant etc etc but I didn’t rate it very highly it’s inland and a drive or long cycle to a beach, dogs are not allowed to walk on the grass on the campsite so dog walks were restricted to a muddy path adjacent to the campsite or on service roads. But I can see non dog owners loving this campsite. Next we went to camping Figueira near sagres €7 pn or €8 with ehu use more than 3 kw hours and it’s 35c per kWh. This place has excellent reviews on camper contact and with 39 pitches is often full. Well for us the cockerels and barking dogs meant a poor nights sleep and again walking the dog was not great. Showers were clean and very basic and €1, washing machine €5 for a 3kg load, that’s a change of clothes.
We are now at Zambujeira up the coast €15 pn with acsi, large campsite not very busy very clean shower blocks but no toilet seats or toilet roll. But the pitches are big and varied so you can chose the pitch that suits you. Restaurant, shop, bar, pizza takeaway. A mile to the beach, good walking, intermarche, 3 miles. Decent laundry facilities. Only been here one night so far but I think it’ll be several days before we head off it’s just got a nice vibe to the place. And superbock at €2.25 a pint.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2018  ·  #13
Viva espana, so after about 4 weeks in Portugal we have crossed into Spain, well only just now at Playa Taray near Isla Cristina. Took the toll road from Alvor (€13 approximately) but the non toll roads will scramble eggs and cause fillings to fall out. Also nice to be paying €1.15 a Ltr for diesel and €0.65 a ltr for supermarket lager.
The site I’m on was designed by a non camper, no hooks in the showers, no seat in the shower, so wet clothes or do as we did use the one in the van. The surface is very muddy here and I would avoid on rainy days but it’s sunny now and low 20 degrees for the week, so not bad, beach across the road and €11 per night (Acsi) inc ehu. Big Supermarkets are 3 miles away. Wild campers in various locations but we are happy with €11 for what you get.
Off to one of my favourites soon an aire in Rota.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2018  ·  #14
Weather is great on the Costa Blanca for the next 10 days or so going by the forecast. We will be down there also in just over two and a half week's 8-)

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Turning point

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #15
Now at El Naranjal, Javea a campsite we have stayed on before the campsite is good not great as access is tight in a 7.5 van, no views to speak of but it is clean and takes Acsi. What is good though is the town, there is probably more English speaking people than Spanish, good selection of shops, bars and restaurants including a Napalise Indian where if you get a takeaway for more than €20 you get a free bottle of wine.
We were initially planning on heading further up the coast but have decided we will head south and then West before heading north through Portugal to Santander.
Diesel has ranged from €1.35 to €1.01 per ltr in Spain. There are lots of parking options from free and isolated, free with great views, free with services and a great selection of commercial Aires some very cheap, and quite pricey upto €15 in some cases. Campsite wise we have stuck mainly to Acsi sites or municipal sites paying no more than €20 per night.
I’ve met people who stay on the same aire for months, some who spend 4/5 months on the same campsite and others who like my self tend to move every 2 to 7 days.
I’ve met the MH owners who set them selves a quest to see just how little they can spend irrespective of the financial circumstances it’s just a challenge for them to spend as little as possible, taking water from beach showers, emptying cassettes down manhole covers to others who won’t ever wild camp or use an aire, even commercial Aires with security.
People who won’t eat out or go to a local bar to others that don’t cook in their vans.
The common denominator; all of them are helpful will give advice if required and they are all like myself enjoying the winter sun and the adventure.

Yes I’ve met a few that are just plain rude and selfish but they are very much the minority.

I hear British people make negative comments about the french, Spanish, Germans, Dutch etc but from my experience it’s not fair or right to stereotype the nationality but the individuals who come from any country.

It’s also very noticeable that some locations seem to attract certain nationalities, lots of Swedish in Torrevieja, lots of British in Javea, lots of Germans in Almerimar.

I’ve met a few Irish but very much the minority.

Any way I’ve got to go there is a cold beer on the table. HNY to all.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #16
Nout stranger than folk.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #17
Was a neighbour to a very nice German chap last February in Roquetas de Mar who had two water tanks.
The main (original) tank he kept filled from the beach shower and was used for washing duties, the other tank, about 25ltr size, which was in one of the side lockers, he filled with drinking water and drew from it via a dedicated drinking water tap at the kitchen sink.
The drinking water tap was like ONE OF THESE

My routine was to buy a dozen 8ltr bottles at the local Aldi for €0.78 each every 5 or 6 days and keep my water tank full with those. Considering the parking was free, paying a tenner for water now and then didn't break the bank.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #18
Quote by baguette
The drinking water tap was like ONE OF THESE

I've one of those taps plumbed from main tank separately but have one of these in line really makes a difference scroll down to see complete kit

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Now in Portugal

· 
Posted: 01.02.2019  ·  #19
So after 2 months in Spain where it rained only 4/5 days out of 60 with temperatures during the day ranging from 15 degrees to 25 degrees, (although a lot colder at night) we have started to head back towards Santander our first stop in Portugal is camping albufeira which has surpassed my expectations I’ve been to albufeira loads of times but never stayed on this site. It is €13.55 per night inc ehu and unlike many sites in Spain with very regimental pitches this one is very random so if you want a bit of space or to be away from immediate neighbours it is possible. It is a 30 minute walk to the old town. This is a site I will stay on again.
Tomorrow we will go to albufeira retail park, with the Iceland Waitrose shop and probably to SPORTS direct before heading to Alvor, beach side parking not the aire or the campsite.

I’m still wearing shorts and tee shirts but I’m in the minority today. Next week is meant to be warmer 20 degrees and lots of sun.

I have looked at the weather back in Ireland and let’s just say I’m pleased I’m here.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2019  ·  #20
Lovely. i was telling one of the lads here, and he says theres a lovely site in Lagos, and very reasonable to stay on. We stayed in Lagos a few years ago and its lovely.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2019  ·  #21
Quote by ROBANDSUE

Lovely. i was telling one of the lads here, and he says theres a lovely site in Lagos, and very reasonable to stay on. We stayed in Lagos a few years ago and its lovely.

Which one at Lagos? The one in town has very poor reviews on camper contact, there is also an Orbiter site and camping tourismo further out.
I’m not a fan of orbiter sites and camping tourismo is a long way to Lagos although it is a very nice site but less so with dogs as the walks are poor.
The site here at albufeira has three small parks right outside the gates that take you to the old town.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

5 places to stay in Portugal now back in Spain

· 
Posted: 16.02.2019  ·  #22
30/1 camping albufeira €13.55 per night, good site. Nice walk to the old town.
4/2 camping Zambujeira 7 nights €105
11/2 coruche aire in town 100 places we were 1 of 5 vans. Next to Lidl.
12/2 Estarreja €2 aire inc ehu.
13/2 seca poio (Spain) nice aire nice walks and views but too noisy at night.
14/2 €38 Boiro €6 card payment nice location this was always an aire chosen for location as the service point is woeful but now they have extended the aire 40 pitches but the pitches are defined with concrete post that stick out of the ground making access really difficult even though we were the only van using the aire.
15/2 now at finisterre commercial aire €8pn inc ehu. Wonderful views from the aire our to sea. Nice owners. It’s unusually warm for the time of year 20 degrees during the day 8 at night. I like Galicia, Green Spain stunning coastline not overrun with tourists and if I were heading to Spain in the summer I would base myself here and avoid the Costas altogether but in the winter it is normally wet and wild. Yes a bit like Ireland.
Ferry back Sunday week and I’m looking forward to getting home and doing some work.
I’ve met lots of people who only go to Spain and never go to Portugal and the other way round but personally if you have the time I would recommend both as the each have their advantages. Although on average Portuguese campsites are cheaper but diesel and shopping is more expensive.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.