My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Howth parking

· 
Posted: 17.09.2018  ·  #41
Quote by sprinter

Quote by Helgahobby

I really don't see what the fuss is all about. If I feel as if I'm not wanted I don't go. We haven't been near the place since this all kicked off around 30 months ago. Jeez, Howth for all of its square meterage is only a minute part of the island. There are much better places to go and friendly natives. If these jumped up jobsworths want to play Hitler, let them. Move on.

I'm inclined to agree with you, I only ever go there to buy fish and also a couple of times a year to walk the head. But the thing that bothers me is the Department Of THe Marine is behind this and they have the responsibility for every harbour in the country and they're flexing their mussels in the big harbours now, when will they get around to blocking all the rest.

And double standards should be outed where they are found. and Ministers Creed and Doyle will be reminded of the same in the morning.

Totally understand and I detest the double standards and shenanigans of the elected. I also think the county councils who realize the benefits of motorhome tourism would stand up against the erstwhile Hitlers. Flexing mussels or not. !!

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2018  ·  #42
We stopped going as well we found it very handy for going into Dublin ,so not only is Howth not getting our money or is Dublin ,my sister is coming over at the end of the month if Howth had of been open to us we would have taken her there as her husband has never been in Dublin, so we’re taking them to cobh and cork instead

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Howth parking

· 
Posted: 17.09.2018  ·  #43
Quote by hillton9

We stopped going as well we found it very handy for going into Dublin ,so not only is Howth not getting our money or is Dublin ,my sister is coming over at the end of the month if Howth had of been open to us we would have taken her there as her husband has never been in Dublin, so we’re taking them to Cobh and cork instead

you could always stay in Greystones, and sample one of the 21 Resturants and 5 caffee ( and counting ) and Dart it into Dublin for the day, so long as you have a camper/ motorhome. because I think there are only 2 B&B in the town and no Hotels.
Part of my Pitch to have some proper Motorhome Facilities.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2018  ·  #44
where do you park in greystones we loved the place but was able to park at the harbour then,, but not now, plus all the car parks have height barriers, someone mentioned parking at the school but i'm sure the school or the parents dropping kids of wouldn't like it

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2018  ·  #45
Quote by hillton9

where do you park in greystones we loved the place but was able to park at the harbour then, but not now, plus all the car parks have height barriers, someone mentioned parking at the school but I'm sure the school or the parents dropping kids off wouldn't like it

If you were going to park during school time then check out this area on Kimberley road beside the Garda / CoastGuard Station
53.147917, -6.062667 have a look on google maps there is also an area pass the school 53.145792, -6.060256 on Marine road.
This area Marine / Kimberley road is free parking.
between 18,00 and 09.00 mon/Fri. Sat from 13.00 to 09.00 Mon. outside of that, it's 3 euro a day.
there is 6 bay area at the Harbour on Cliff road 53.149901, -6.064780 for free all time, because of this its always busy. but you would be passing it coming into the area anyway so worth checking out.for me the two places above would be best.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2018  ·  #46
Many thanks 👍will check it out

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2018  ·  #47
Was in Howth this afternoon (car). 6-7 vans there, looks like business as usual.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2018  ·  #48
Personally for me there has been so much bad press about this place that I would be unwilling to go there again.
Some of this has been because of inconsiderate motorhomers and some because the local authorities cannot see the benefits that could be had for the local community if this area was properly set out as an Aires.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2018  ·  #49
Where were the Motorhomes parked

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2018  ·  #50
The usual spot up beyond the Yacht Club

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2018  ·  #51
Would love to know if they got one of the harbour masters little notes the next day

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2018  ·  #52
So is Howth business as usual? Was thinking of parking up for a night or two in December?

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2018  ·  #53
It looked like business as usual. The very tatty van (mercedes?) the was semi permanent is gone and a newer van with EHU is there. Couldn't get any pics as it was raining heavy at the time. There new parking poles seem to be working which prevents overhang on the working area.

the irish rover
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2018  ·  #54
Hi folks.we were all responsible for the ..dep of the marine ,and harbour master,having to make a decision as to the parking on the pier.motorhomes took over,no consideration for the fishermen and the pier.we thought that we entitled to park in there working area.the decision was made a couple of years ago,when I personally saw the disregard for the area that the fishermen had to try to work in. Most of the offenders I saw were ...ni reg..sorry folks that's true.i had a post at the time ,you can check it.thew parked every way on the pier,they even parked across the entrance to lifeboat house.the lads in the lifeboat house had to put up scaffolding to stop more motorhome parking on the Sunday,and blocking the slipway all together.ALL the offenders were ..ni reg..thats true.we should all,as motorhome owners look at what problems we are creating.were not entitled to park our motorhome ,where ever we want on ...dept of the marine ground.(ie.ground where fishermen work).....were just TRAVELLERS,really.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2018  ·  #55
Quote by the irish rover

. Most of the offenders I saw were ...ni reg..sorry folks that's true.i had a post at the time ,you can check it.ALL the offenders were ..ni reg..thats true

All or most?

Perhaps on that occasion?

I would say there were offenders from all parts and from different countries.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.11.2018  ·  #56
Quote by Ally

Quote by the irish rover

. Most of the offenders I saw were ...ni reg..sorry folks that's true.i had a post at the time ,you can check it.ALL the offenders were ..ni reg..thats true

All or most?

To start with I don't think we should be getting into a debate about whether the offender's were from the North or South. I have been there in the past and seen UK, Republic, French, Italian and Spanish vans all parked with no consideration. They are all idiots that get the rest of us bad press.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.11.2018  ·  #57
Quote by Ally

Quote by the irish rover

All or most?

This is so typical, someone sees a pile of motorhomes one day, and assume it's like that every day. Then the press, councillors get to hear. All Chinese whispers, I fear.
But it doesn't take away from the fact, there should be no inconsiderate parking, I mean, we're all mobile, if it looks too busy, move on!

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.11.2018  ·  #58
It’s like this none of us are right or wrong I’m sure there’s not one Motorhome owner who doesn’t have a black mark against them ,but it is up to us the people on this forum to make bad maters better ,if Howth is open again ,and I for one hope it is it’s up to us not to abuse it again

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.11.2018  ·  #59
Quote by hillton9

It’s like this none of us are right or wrong I’m sure there’s not one Motorhome owner who doesn’t have a black mark against them ,but it is up to us the people on this forum to make bad maters better ,if Howth is open again ,and I for one hope it is it’s up to us not to abuse it again

I don't think there will any problem during the winter months when numbers going out in their Motorhoms are small, Wait until the silly season starts and we will be back to square one. We have started going back to places ourselves that we wouldn't dream of going to during the Summer months, we went to Garrykennedy two weekends ago and only one other Motorhome there.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.11.2018  ·  #60
Only one other at Donaghadee this weekend past.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Howth parking

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #61
Double standards, this was last month when I was out getting fish. now, who is making a mess and blocking what.

This is where I would be trying to park if I was going out there in the van lots of room in the bays.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #62
IHOP’s that guy sees his reg and explains himself or herself?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #63
I suspect that's the burnt van Jack

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Howth parking

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #64
Quote by jacktherev

IHOP’s that guy sees his reg and explains himself or herself?

Not now, that its a burnt heap of scrap.
But it was in s public place while not legally on the road.
There are no Garda in Howth.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #65
New signs at Howth?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #66
They’re lovely signs, pesky campers.
Luckily we have motorhomes......
In any case Howth has made their feelings known and I for one won’t be back there and I’ll spend elsewhere.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #67
Are their any bye laws to back up this sign?

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #68
Had a call from my cousin the other day.Mate of his, works on a trawler out of howth, wants to buy my old camper. Apparently his was the van that was burnt out.
Some scrote came out of the pub with a few beers on him, decided it would be funny to set alight a campervan. Luckily there was no one in it. And it seemed to have been a random act.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #69
Is your cousin mate going to park the camper on Howth pier if so will he be breaking the law as it states that on overnight camping or Motorhomes aloud

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #70
Hes a fisherman on the trawlers Robert, a law unto themselves. Best of luck with the harbour master or council giving him a fine. Once its in his name he can drive it off the harbour for all i care :happy:

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #71
Quote by hillton9

Is your cousin mate going to park the camper on Howth pier if so will he be breaking the law as it states that on overnight camping or Motorhomes aloud

I would be reluctant to use the term breaking the law. The sign is erected in the name of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine who are not a road authority.

Having looked through S.I. No. 214/2012 - Fishery Harbour Centres (Rates and Charges) Order 2012 there is no provision for a "fine on the spot". The reference to €150 is for Release of car/lorry/trailer clamp.

Let's look for full implementation of all this Regulation in all the Harbours it covers and see how far they get with it.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2012/si/214/made/en/print

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #72
There are two sides to every story, Naturally as Motorhomers we only see it from our side, The fisher men have a business to run and a living to make, I don't blame them for getting pissed off with Motorhomers for blocking entrances and making a nuisance of them selves. I had the same problem last year when I turned off the road into one of my fields to haul home a load of hay, when I got back to the Road, the entrance was blocked with a number of parked vans, a Coursing club were in the area catching Hares, I had to sit in the Tractor for two hours until they came back to get out of my own field. All I will say is Pat wasn't very happy and they never parked there again. For that reason I will just bypass Howth and let the Fisher men get on with their business , there are plenty other places we are welcome. Fighting with the authorities there is only giving us bad press name in my opinion..

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #73
Folks, we have forgotten about Howth ages ago and dontngo there any longer. Each week end we spend in the region of €200 in the market and eating out. We go now to Malahide and for €10 can have secure overnight parking with loads of restaurants and shopping within walking distance and also the Dart. We have forgotten about Howth it’s a bye gone age as far as we are concerned_

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #74
Quote by jacktherev

We go now to Malahide and for €10 can have secure overnight parking with loads of restaurants and shopping within walking distance and also the Dart.

Jack, Mrs Dipper is originally from Malahide, (Before she met a a fantastic bloke from Wexford.) and we were just wondering where you stay for €10. :-)

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #75

We go now to Malahide and for €10 can have secure overnight parking with loads of restaurants and shopping within walking distance and also the Dart.

I take it that is somewhere not on the App Jack? I’ve only ever stopped off in Malahide in the van but never stayed over. If you could pay for secure overnight parking that would be welcome. I only ever stayed overnight in Howth once before all the hassle started so I have never been back.

flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #76
Quote by jacktherev

Folks, we have forgotten about Howth ages ago and dontngo there any longer. Each week end we spend in the region of €200 in the market and eating out. We go now to Malahide and for €10 can have secure overnight parking with loads of restaurants and shopping within walking distance and also the Dart. We have forgotten about Howth it’s a bye gone age as far as we are concerned_

Please tell where do you park overnight in Malahide

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #77
Quote by Flipperdipper

Quote by jacktherev

Jack, Mrs Dipper is originally from Malahide, (Before she met a a fantastic bloke from Wexford.) and we were just wondering where you stay for €10. :-)

So, when she left him, that’s when she met you , I suppose

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Howth parking

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #78
Quote by jacktherev

Jack. You should consider Greystones overnight is free and safe. and there are too many restaurants.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #79
Quote by Daffysparks

So, when she left him, that’s when she met you , I suppose
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: Nope, I'm the one and only Yella Belly in her life :-) but there's a story about our first meeting. :P :-)

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.01.2019  ·  #80
:lol: :lol: Nope, I'm the one and only Yella Belly in her life :-) but there's a story about our first meeting. :P :-)

Do tell. We are all ears.

Just between ourselves: Discretion assured.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.