ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Portuguese toll roads

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #1
When travelling from Salamanca down to Praia de Luz earlier this trip, we crossed into Portugal at Badajoz and used mainly tolls going south. The bill came to almost 80 euros and we did the journey in a few hours . I thought this was expensive so I checked some websites and found you can get a 3 day unlimited mileage pass for 20 euros. 😣

https://www.moneymaxim.co.uk/b…n-portugal

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Portuguese toll roads

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #2
Ouch :(

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #3
Says a lot about prior planning if you are going to use the toll roads. Thats handy information for the forum and anyone planning future trips.
Does it apply to all toll roads in portugal?

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #4
From memory, we got confused by the signage. There are two different types of toll, one prepaid, the other payg sort of thing. The latter is paid by a voucher type system you can buy at the frontieres. The tolls are necessary down there, otherwise you can end up driving miles on really shitty roads. Much greater distances as well. Hope I'm not getting confused with another country.

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #5
Yes, before I start off in future, I will check if there are deals. I checked French tolls , but couldn't find any. Does anyone know of any deals on tolls in other countries?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #6
Interested in this as were thinking Portugal on this trip.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #7
JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #8
Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #9
Quote by ColinM

Yes, before I start off in future, I will check if there are deals. I checked French tolls , but couldn't find any. Does anyone know of any deals on tolls in other countries?

I bought the ATMB toll tag online, I think it cost 20 euro the tolls are no cheaper but it is much handier than trying to lean out the window of the van which is halfway between the truck and car keypads.
The tolls are debited from your account the month following the tolls being used.
My Van is LHD so I am the right side anyway but RHD can be a bigger problem.
The tag doesn't cost anything if you don't use it.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #10
get discounts on either

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #11
I have a sanef tag, which is very convenient as my MH is right hand drive. It doesn't give any discount , which is why i thought it was very expensive. I spent nearly 80 euros , where if I had done a wee bit of research, I could saved almost 60 euros. A lot of deisel, beer or wine!!

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #12
Friend of mine is married to a beautiful Portuguese lady. They holiday for at least two months there every Summer.

I visited them for a week this year and questioned the toll system.

No toll booths, so no opportunity to pay 'manually'.

His wife tried on several occasions to tell them they were in a foreign car and wanted to know how to pay as everything is automated.

She was told to go away and wise up, it can't cope with foreign plates and there was no process for them to pay.

They picked us up at Faro airport in August and used loads of motorways during my week there without paying. That included a trip to Praia de Luz also on the last night.
They have been doing it for many years without a bill.

As stated, they offered to pay but were told not to bother.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Secret ?

· 
Posted: 13.10.2018  ·  #13
make a saving

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2018  ·  #14
Quote by witzend

Quote by ColinM
I spent nearly 80 euros , where if I had done a wee bit of research, I could saved almost 60 euros. A lot of diesel, beer or wine!!

Please share be nice to make a saving

Hi Witzend see first post.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2018  ·  #15
mths on them.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2018  ·  #16
Quote by witzend

[quote="StrandCampingDoonbe
Hi Witzend see first post.

Thanks i missed the link having read it now but am unsure it refers to the north to south tolls which have no NPR as the link refers to electronic tolls better to travel down thru Spain and avoid tolls altogether. I,d not get any saving on the electronic tolls using it as rarely spend 20€ in 3 mths on them.
[/quote]

I think we called in to a booth at the frontier, there's one at each, and gave them my card details. The payments were taken automatically. We also bought a prepaid thing, later in the trip, they took cash for that and reimbursed payments they'd taken, via the card thing. To be honest, the confusion had me really pissed off and I'd no idea what was happening for a couple of days, but it worked out in the end. I cant clarify this any further because I'm stuck on the fifth line of an ode.

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2018  ·  #17
Quote by Betty Swollocks

Friend of mine is married to a beautiful Portuguese lady. They holiday for at least two months there every Summer.

His wife tried on several occasions to tell them they were in a foreign car and wanted to know how to pay as everything is automated.

She was told to go away and wise up, it can't cope with foreign plates and there was no process for them to pay.

They picked us up at Faro airport in August and used loads of motorways during my week there without paying. That included a trip to Praia de Luz also on the last night.

So - out of curiosity, who did they offer to pay, and who said to wise up and go away?
just asking.

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.10.2018  ·  #18
I spoke with a couple of neighbours on site in Spain about what Betty/Stevie said about ignoring the tolls on Portuguese autoroutes. They confirmed that most people they knew just drove through without stopping and had being doing for years without paying tolls. They told me there was no agreement between DVLA and Portuguese authorities to swap info about registered keepers. I don't know if the is an agreement in place with ROI. I will pay the £20 3 day pass in future and not take the chance. I would be interested if anyone has used this.

glastry
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Paying you tolls

· 
Posted: 27.10.2018  ·  #19
For the last few years we have been using the card system,and eventually found out that if we keep it topped up,it does not expire after a year. so it works well for us.
The website is a trial,but with persistence it does work,and allows you to check your balance.
This has been a big learning curve for us,as we did use toll roads ,quite often by mistake ,and did find that for a while,it was not possible to pay "after the event".
This is is no longer the case,if you want to pay -you can!
The Portuguese do store computer records of non payers and I would think that
In the case of repeat non payers,it's just a case of -long runs the fox!
That said,there is a lot of anecdotal evidence out there,about people who have not paid,
Maybe influenced by how often you go back,and how long you stay?

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.10.2018  ·  #20
Quote by glastry

Quote by Betty Swollocks

So - out of curiosity, who did they offer to pay, and who said to wise up and go away?
just asking.

I'm away in Scotland at present, but will confirm exact details when I return.

Melane returns to her family in Portugal every summer for at least two months st a time, in a Norn Iron registered car.

I was with them this summer when she drove through multiple automatic tolls without paying.

Because they spend two months there she was of the opinion that they really needed to pay rather than have the authorities chase her.

From memory she tried the office at the toll and local authorities without success.

She's been returning every year for at least 18 years without being able to pay a cent.

glastry
Love's the Craic
Subject:

three day pass

· 
Posted: 30.10.2018  ·  #21
Quote by ColinM

I spoke with a couple of neighbours on site in Spain about what Betty/Stevie said about ignoring the tolls on Portuguese autoroutes. They confirmed that most people they knew just drove through without stopping and had being doing for years without paying tolls. They told me there was no agreement between DVLA and Portuguese authorities to swap info about registered keepers. I don't know if the is an agreement in place with ROI. I will pay the £20 3 day pass in future and not take the chance. I would be interested if anyone has used this.

hi- colin,the three day pass did not work out for us,but the Toll Card system has.
I have attached the email i received yesterday,which shows how much credit i have left.
the 4 cards are unnessary,only bought them before i worked out how to top up .
The only other thing might be to buy a card from anywhere but a post office,as generally it seems to take an awful long time to get served.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.10.2018  ·  #22
Thanks John.

glastry
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.10.2018  ·  #23
Quote by ColinM

i should have added that "EUCARIS" -The european car and driving license information system,
would seem to suggest that portuguese authorities can access irish and uk info at the "tap of a screen"
as reported in an Algarve newspaper a few days ago.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2018  ·  #24
Bit of an update on the toll system we used on our travels through Portugal (November 2018) we used this website www.tollcard.pt and found it very simple to use. Just buy the card online and associate your licence plate to it, balance easily checkable online and simple to use.

Mayo45
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2018  ·  #25
In case anyone's interested...
Although I'm not (yet) a motor home owner (I joined because there have been useful postings about Irish Ferries and the WB Yeats), I also read with interest the postings above about tolls.

If you're not aware, you may be interested in a tolltag (as with our motorways in the Republic) which is available online and covers motorways in France, Spain and Portugal - you can also add Italy, if you wish.
I have been using one in France for years and added Spain and Portugal without a problem last year. Stated simply, you provide the necessary details of self, vehicle and card for payment; they send you a tag to mount on your windscreen and you breeze through the toll stations in all 3 countries. Car drivers can use the express lanes common at most toll stations, though I'm not sure if a motor home can. In any case you avoid the card/cash business, right hand drive problems etc. - the barrier just raises as you approach. The set up cost is a reasonable €15 (€11 for activation at first use and €4 for postal delivery of the tag to your home address). The actual toll charges are made on the card you provided in the month following use, plus a charge of €2 to €3 for each month used (no standing charges when not used).

My French is sound enough but a disadvantage for some will be that the site is in French and I couldn't find an English version. However, Google translate might help or,even better, a friend or acquaintance with a reasonable grasp of the language. The site is: www.aprr.fr/fr , though I believe there are other firms who offer the service...

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.