Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Re: Advice for Councils installing an Aire or Aire De Service

· 
Posted: 17.07.2018  ·  #41
Quote by sprinter

I received this response today from Minister Harriss and answered it.

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 at 11:13, Simon Harris <Simon.Harris@oireachtas.ie> wrote:

Dear Martin,

I hope this email finds you well.

bla, bla, bla.

There IS stuff happening. Thanks for adding your bit to the debate, all lobbying of The Minister and Fáilte Ireland is really helpful, please keep it up.
I'm confident we will have the concept of 'Aires' officially recognised by FI in the not too distant future.
Stay tuned.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2018  ·  #42
Just popped off a copy of Sprinter's excellent letter, with a few modifications, to Wexford Co councellors. Now I'll sit back and wait for all the positive and supportive replies to come pouring in. Oh the excitement of it all, I can hardly contain myself. :-)

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2018  ·  #43
Martin, topic moved back to a public section so others can use your letter.

Thanks.

Not that important but figures need changed slightly, 28 million hits alone on MHC, 5500 members.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Advice for Councils installing an Aire or Aire De Service

· 
Posted: 15.08.2018  ·  #44
Quote by Ally

Martin, topic moved back to a public section so others can use your letter.

Thanks.

Not that important but figures need to be changed slightly, with 28 million hits alone on MHC, 5500 members.

Done :up:

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2018  ·  #45
Below is a copy of Sprinter's letter, with modifications, which I sent almost a month ago to Wexford County Councillors and the County Manager. ALL the replies I've received to date are included. The first CC meeting since the email went out was yesterday. I never realised we had such a big ostrich farm here. Is it worth trying again or am I flogging a dead horse?

14 Aug
As a Motorhome owner and a member of a Forum ( Motorhomecraic.com. we currently have 23 million visitors and 5000, mainly Irish, registered members. ) interested in the promotion of all things to do with Motorhome holidaying, I would like to bring to your attention to the lack of facilities in Co.Wexford. What is required to bring motorhome tourism to your locality is an " Aire ". This is a term used throughout Europe to describe an overnight parking place for Motorhomes ( not Caravans ) When we use the simple term "Aire" we generally mean an Aire Stationnement (parking area), which may or may not have a service bay. "Aire de Service" is a term which translates to Service Area, the bay where emptying and refilling are provided.

At this stage, so as not to confuse anyone what we are asking for your assistance with is "Motorhome Parking and Motorhome Service Area's" The very minimum "Motorhome Parking area " is, two white lines to park between ( a little wider than the normal car space ) for an overnight stop, with a grass / graveled or paved area to the rear to allow for rear axle overhang, initially with very little or no expenditure , this can be provided in any car park in scenic areas , towns, villages , within walking distance of shops , supermarkets , pubs , restaurants , places of interest.
Preferably free overnight or for a reasonable charge. If you consider, for example, public car parks, swimming pool, council offices mostly empty at night and some at weekends. A few years ago Cavan CC passed a motion allowing motorhomes to park overnight in any council owned car park. This move attracted more motorhome tourism to the area at zero cost to the council.

If it would help Council officials and managers to understand how little or no money need be spent initially, to get the "Motorhome Tourism " going in your area , we would be prepared to organize three or four different types of Motorhome / Campervans to meet at the council offices before the next council meeting in September or at an arranged time, to demonstrate the space required and how self-sufficient they are with regard to toilet, washing and waste facilities.

We have our own guidelines, which we expect our members to adhere to and would generally recommend a 2/3 night stay in any one place. At all times local rules are obeyed or enforced.

The standard motorhome insurance policy, underwritten by Axa Ireland or Aviva allows for overnight parking, as long as the policyholder take reasonable steps regarding their location. All other types of leisure accommodation, caravan, tent, motor racing vehicle/horse transporters are not insured when overnighting at an unofficial stop.

By providing some targeted motorhome parking, the council can promote locations, not on the general tourism trails. An example in Co Wexford would be the lovely village of Crannford.

"2015 figures issued by the European Caravan Federation stated that there were approximately 1.7 million motorhomes registered in Europe with the highest levels of ownership in Germany, Italy, France and the United Kingdom.

If we accept that our membership consists of owners, there are 5000 plus motorhomes in Ireland ( north and south )

Herein information attached.

advert/GUIDE_TO_USING_A_MOTORHOME_AIRE_IN_IRELAND.pdf

Examples of Aires can be found here: http://www.motorcaravanningireland.org/

There is also a great facility in the North Of Ireland if you care to investigate it.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/ar…ng-forests

I would also like to bring to your attention some of the other groups interested in this topic.
Campaigners and Supporters who are on the same page with what we would like for Motorhome Parking in Ireland North & South.

Websites:
Motorhome Craic
Motorhome Parking Ireland
Motorcaravanning Ireland
Facebook Groups:
Motorhome Craic & Motorhome Parking Ireland
Motorhome Friendly Locations Ireland
Motorhome Locations Ireland
Clubs:
Phoenix Motorhome Club
App:
Motorhome Parking Ireland
Motorhome Parking Ireland FB Group

Obviously, as I am sending this all Councillors in Co. Wexford It will be of no help to any of you, or to me to receive a standard thank you for your contact letter. I would rather you spend your time doing something for motorhome tourism in Wexford and become a leader in this regard and an example to other Counties to follow.

I look forward to meeting you to discuss the above and debunk some of the myths going around regarding motorhomes.
Best regards,
Liam Fortune.

Malcolm Byrne
14 Aug
Many thanks. This issue has been mentioned before and am aware of the problem.

I’m happy to meet individually or set up a group meeting.

I’m on holidays myself this week so can we touch base next week and we can arrange?

14 Aug
to Malcolm
Thanks for the very prompt reply Malcolm. I think a group meet before the next council meeting should suit everyone. We can talk later, meanwhile enjoy the holiday.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2018  ·  #46
Liam, the horse is not dead it's alive and well but running in the wrong direction. Our job is to get it to turn and run in the correct direction.
Don't give up, some of the herd have already started to turn.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2018  ·  #47
Thank you for your effort so far Liam 👍🏻

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2018  ·  #48
Quote by baguette

Liam, the horse is not dead it's alive and well but running in the wrong direction. Our job is to get it to turn and run in the correct direction.
Don't give up, some of the herd have already started to turn.

Liam, I agree with baguette and just think of how easy it's going to be to resend it again and again, that what I am about to do.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2018  ·  #49
Is there a template for this letter Liam that we can use?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2018  ·  #50
Quote by ROBANDSUE

Is there a template for this letter Liam that we can use?

Robert, go to post number 1 above.
Everyone is welcome to use it as a template, copy and past your own location etc,
I would suggest if you add anything extra recommendations, post it on here before it's sent out, so we have a record of what is going where.
Martin.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2018  ·  #51
Will do Martin

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2018  ·  #52
I have done a round of repeat emails. you will probably spot in another post but the last bit is relevant I would like to hear your thoughts. please.

HI here is a copy of a mail I sent to Cobh,
Councillor Barry.
I am a member of a motorhome forum group ( Motorhomecraic .com ) who is actively campaigning for Facilities in areas around the country like your provided in Cobh, which is greatly appreciated far and wide.
I would like to ask if you or someone from the council could provide or share with me/us some details regarding the installation, maybe running costs, income expected etc ( since yours is the model that we all refer to) that we could use when making a pitch for a similar Facility.
I do realise you may not want or be able to put this information in the public arena but you may be able to share your findings with other interested councillors
I am in contact with my local councillor Ms Grainne Mc Loughlin here in Greystones Co Wicklow and we have other members approaching their local councils.

( I also forwarded it to Grainne with this bit added )

Unfortunately, the late Councillor Claire Cullinane.RIP. one of the driving forces in attracting tourists to the town was a person who put a lot of effort into the Aire.

We in Motorhomecraic are trying to figure how best to put a proposal to Cobh Council to have the Aire named after her.

Maybe someone with a better grasp of how to word it could put something together on our behalf and we could put forward a proposal to Cobh Councill in appreciation of her efforts in providing the Air.
What do you think?
could it be a first from our new club on behalf of the whole Forum?

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2018  ·  #53
Quote by sprinter

Unfortunately, the late Councillor Claire Cullinane.RIP. one of the driving forces in attracting tourists to the town was a person who put a lot of effort into the Aire.

To me the above paragraph doesn't seem to read correctly. Good idea to have it named after her, assuming council and family approve.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2018  ·  #54
Quote by sprinter

........................................., the late Councillor Claire Cullinane.RIP. one of the driving forces in attracting tourists to the town was a person who put a lot of effort into the Aire.

We in Motorhomecraic are trying to figure how best to put a proposal to Cobh Council to have the Aire named after her.

Maybe someone with a better grasp of how to word it could put something together on our behalf and we could put forward a proposal to Cobh Councill in appreciation of her efforts in providing the Air.
What do you think?
could it be a first from our new club on behalf of the whole Forum?

A lovely idea, Cllr Claire Cullinane was a dedicated public servant who spent her life as a councillor tirelessly working to develop the tourism potential of Cobh and assisting the many ordinary people in need of support when dealing with various institutions.
One of her successes was the creation of the Victorian Ladies group, who regularly circulate among the tourists, particularly when a cruise ship in on port. Claire is third from the left in the central photo.

The Phoenix Motorhome Club Ireland would certainly like to be counted among the supporters of any idea to commemorate her enthusiasm in supporting the creation of the motorhome parking area in Cobh.

One of Claire's ideas was a ceremonial opening once the project was completed, sadly she didn't live to see the day. Perhaps an official 'opening' could be arranged for next springtime when a plaque to Claire could be unveiled.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2018  ·  #55
Quote by Flipperdipper

Quote by sprinter

To me the above paragraph doesn't seem to read correctly. Good idea to have it named after her, assuming council and family approve.

Liam. I know it don't read correctly. But try looking at it as me ,trying to get Grainne to contact councillor Barry,and I added the information about Clair Cullinane to her indicate that Barry was not the main man and also to indicate the respect we all had for Clair .

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #56
Davy/Ally the rest of you.
There was an announcement from the minister in charge of heritage about a lot of money to be spent in the area of heritage sites., asking for submissions from interested parties before next year. I am thinking of the TITS in the North. It may be time for our new club to put down a marker in this arena. I'm thinking of some heads getting together to adopt a proposal for motorhomes from far and wide to have access to all our heritage sites. Lough Bora was mentioned as an example of what they want to do.
It is a great spot, but I think it would have been an awful lot better if they had facilities for motorhomes so maybe we should get our spoke in for the future and maybe a bit of retrofit also.
Put your thinking caps on .have we a legal eagle or a person who knows how best to do this.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #57
Thats a good idea Martin. Anything that furthers our cause for proper facilities and access to these sites should be fought for. And I think it would be great if MHC took the lead in this.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2018  ·  #58
This could be a great project for the club to take on most definitely.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2018  ·  #59
Quote by GMAC

This could be a great project for the club to take on most definitely.

Yes but have we anyone ,or do we know someone who has the experience or knowledge of how put together a submission.
Any lobbyist in our group. I'll bet the opposition are spending funds to stop motorhome parking.
Look what's being suggested about the Aire closing in Ards and North Down Council

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2018  ·  #60
I resent a copy of the letter, (See post #45) to the Councillors expressing my disappointment at the almost total lack of response from our elected representatives. This time I had a slightly better response so I've decided to push things a little. I'm sending them an email inviting them to come and inspect the fresh water, waste water and sanitation system in my motorhome on Monday next before the next council meeting. I could do with two or three others to give them a selection to look at. Ideally I'd like to have a van conversion, a coachbuilt and an A class for them to look at. If anyone is available on Mon 10th from 10 o'clock till two and would like to join me let me know.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2018  ·  #61
Great work Liam where are you meeting the Councilors in Wexford

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2018  ·  #62
Well done Liam, as I said earlier, sorry I can’t help you on Monday. Hope you get a favorable response.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2018  ·  #63
Quote by eirebus

Great work Liam where are you meeting the Councilors in Wexford

I hope to meet them in the main carpark at the Council offices in Carricklawn, across the road from the hospital, in Wexford.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2018  ·  #64
Liam great work. If I can get the turbo back on my Sprinter before Sunday ill be down. I am away until Sunday night but I will get my son to refit it and have it ready for Monday.
I wonder if TimB is in the country He might come in from Feathard.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2018  ·  #65
"I'm sending them an email inviting them to come and inspect the fresh water, waste water and sanitation system in my motorhome "
Well done Liam I think a lack of understanding and knowledge of motorhomes is part of the problem when it comes to Councils. I did the same here in Belturbet taking the van to a meeting at a site for a new Aire. I couldn't believe what they actually thought we needed. When I showed them facilities on board and explained how self sufficient we are they completely rethought there position and are going ahead with Aire here. They are also going to reconsider applications for other sites that previously had been rejected. Well done Liam and hope there's a positive outcome.

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2018  ·  #66
Maybe it would be an idea to show them the model that Cork coco are using for their Aires? Bantry and Castletownbere have shown that it doesn’t need a huge investment.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Re: Advice for Councils installing an Aire or Aire De Service

· 
Posted: 05.12.2018  ·  #67
Quote by Bounder

Maybe it would be an idea to show them the model that Cork coco are using for their Aires? Bantry and Castletownbere have shown that it doesn’t need a huge investment.

It would be if the in formation was available, costs to install,estimated income, etc,.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2018  ·  #68
I think Baguette may be able to help you there

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2018  ·  #69
Cost of providing signage, marking out the 30 bays and services bay at Cobh was approximately €5k.
Income from the parking charges is expected to be about €20k this year (2018)
Surpluses are 'ring-fenced' for the provision of community facilities for residents of the town.

BTW, we had a very fruitful one hour meeting today with members of Waterford Council regarding the provision of official motorhome parking places and services in the city and county.

Attached seems to have been lost during the recent IT problem, so here it is again. No, it isn't, it seems to be too big to upload. Ally, I'll send it to you as an email attachment, perhaps you would put it up here.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2018  ·  #70
File attached.

I'll add it to ourt Aires area later also.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2018  ·  #71
Excellent. Must download and print.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2018  ·  #72
File and others now in our Aires section, which as always can be found via the "more" menu on a PC or the drop down menu on a mobile device.

HERE

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2018  ·  #73
Quote by Flipperdipper

I resent a copy of the letter, (See post #45) to the Councillors expressing my disappointment at the almost total lack of response from our elected representatives. This time I had a slightly better response so I've decided to push things a little. I'm sending them an email inviting them to come and inspect the fresh water, waste water and sanitation system in my motorhome on Monday next before the next council meeting. I could do with two or three others to give them a selection to look at. Ideally I'd like to have a van conversion, a coachbuilt and an A class for them to look at. If anyone is available on Mon 10th from 10 o'clock till two and would like to join me let me know.

Anybody free on Monday morning to show off and brag about their motorhome ? Everyone I know is either unavailable due to other commitments or have their van tucked away for the winter.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2018  ·  #74
Quote by Flipperdipper

Quote by Flipperdipper

Anybody free on Monday morning to show off and brag about their motorhome ? Everyone I know is either unavailable due to other commitments or have their van tucked away for the winter.

What time Monday I have had the turbo back on my van since Wednesday but need an oil feed pipe , having been let down on Friday once again by Mercedes ,unless my Ben can come up with one on loan or something, I won't be back home until Sunday night and will have to go to Carlow first thing Monday and get one. so in reality lunch time would be the earliest.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2018  ·  #75

What time Monday I have had the turbo back on my van since Wednesday but need an oil feed pipe , having been let down on Friday once again by Mercedes ,unless my Ben can come up with one on loan or something, I won't be back home until Sunday night and will have to go to Carlow first thing Monday and get one. so in reality lunch time would be the earliest.

Many thanks for the offer Martin, I don't expect to be there after two o'clock so in reality it would be a lot of rushing about for you to spent a little time meeting a few Councillors who may or may not show up. I've no problem meeting them on my own but it would have been nice to be able to show them a few different types of motorhome.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2018  ·  #76
Quote by Flipperdipper

[/quote]
Liam if I can make it I Will

Many thanks for the offer Martin, I don't expect to be there after two o'clock so in reality it would be a lot of rushing about for you to spent a little time meeting a few Councillors who may or may not show up. I've no problem meeting them on my own but it would have been nice to be able to show them a few different types of motorhome.
[/quote]

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2018  ·  #77
Would be great to see an Aire in Enniscorty ,plenty for a Tourist to see and do there and town will probably get very quiet when the Motorway goes past

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2018  ·  #78
Well maybe the road by pass will make them get their finger out and provide an Aire?

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.12.2018  ·  #79
Quote by Flipperdipper

Quote by Flipperdipper

slaving away unfortuneatly.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2018  ·  #80
Well, I set up camp in the carpark at the Council offices at 9:30 this morning and I had the grand total of one councillor come to see me. Councillor Anthony Connick, (non party), was the only visitor I had and a very positive visitor he turned out to be. He's definitely getting my No 1 in the next election just for turning up. He sees the benefits of motorhome tourism and is very keen on establishing Aires in the county. He informed me that the Council have purchased this field beside Aldi and it's earmarked for a motorhome parking area. https://www.google.ie/maps/@52…a=!3m1!1e3 He also said that at the moment motorhomes park overnight in the carparks on the quay and they are most welcome. We discussed the good and bad points of different aires I had visited in Spain, I had loads of photos, and he understands what we need and more importantly what we don't need. I suggested the Council do a pump and dump trial at their campsite in Ferrybank, charge €5 for motorhomes to discharge their waste and take on fresh water. He said he'll put that idea forward to those responsible. I also suggested an online survey if they want plenty of input and suggestions from motorhomers. I will be following up with further communications with him in the coming days. What a pity the other councillors couldn't be bothered to meet up. If I get any further news I'll post it here.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.