Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Newcastle

· 
Posted: 30.10.2018  ·  #1
Ever since the council decided to erect height barriers I have been in communication with an MLA, a local councillor and an official of the Newry Mourne and Down council.

The barriers were a done deal before we got wind of the development so as I have indicated in other posts, my actions are to try and ensure parking provision is made elsewhere in the town.

The height barriers will be in place by mid to late December. Suffice to say poor practice by motorhomers including abusive behaviour by a van owner towards the enforcement staff ( a van pictured on here recently) together with other complaints by residents etc over the last few years, especially when Motorhomes almost totally filled the designated disabled parking area at Glen river during the air show mean we are unlikely to have access in the short to medium term. An individual took an equality request to the council, with particular reference to blue badge holders, but this was overruled on the grounds that lots of disabled parking and concessions were made all around the town, but probably the ruling revolves around ordinary parking, not overnight with a sea view.

During several meetings with the above mentioned officials, there does seem to be a willingness to have some provision in the town. Indeed I have had several meetings with the council officer (as recently as yesterday) including bringing the Motorhome to locations around the town. There are three locations which I have been lobbying for proper marked bay provision, but these are subject to negotiation and approval by committees etc, so I will not name them. Suffice to say they will not have sea views, but will have other excellent views of the mountains etc and be fairly central. Bear in mind that many if not most aires do not have views, but are convenient and free or cheap places to overnight, Portrush springs to mind. For a sea view in the interim you will need to use the small car park beside the Rock outdoor swimming pool where overnighting will be tolerated.

The councils original plan had been to provide some bays in the Donard car park, but I don’t think this is either practical or an appealing place to stay. I cannot put a time frame on when alternatives will be in place, but I am pushing for ‘pilot’ schemes to get the ball rolling. It is likely that the council would see the locations as shared parking, ie it would be difficult to make the bays Motorhome specific, so like some french Aires (Cahors, Carnac etc) it would be the case that if you plan to arrive after approx 5 pm the car park will be fairly empty and you could park overnight and have possession of the bay next day or up to whatever time limit is envisaged. This would not preclude a van parking in a non Motorhome bay during the day and moving to a wider bay as they become available.

I am confident that if the council are convinced, then we might have about 10 to 15 bays in 3 or 4 locations. I am also pursuing permission to park and overnight in the paddock at the back of Donard carpark as an overflow during summer months and of course I am hoping we can get a service point at one of the locations. Time will tell.

ARDS & N. DOWN UPDATE

I have also (with assistance by Mark) been working with Ards & N. Down council on their plan to provide up to nine overnight parking locations with perhaps 3 having services. They are still working towards that goal, but as with all government it is slow. Their biggest concern at present is the overuse of Donaghadee on occasions when up to 30 vans were staying including on the grass areas. Expect that to be a maximum of a 10 bay provision at some point in the future. Again I am trying to get them to advertise Ballyhome and Millisle as close alternatives. Let us remain optimistic that some extra locations could be available before next year as 30 plus vans is not doing us any favours.

Davy

Liked by: Irishbee

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Newcastle

· 
Posted: 30.10.2018  ·  #2
Great work Davy and a great post.

Been saying it for a long time now, too many using Donaghadee. I'm wondering why they cannot limit it earlier as they have someone on site. We have not been for quite a while as its now over crowded.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.10.2018  ·  #3
Great work Davy and many thanks for the update and your continued efforts. Good to see practical compromises being worked out.

In Ards and N Down more locations should naturally reduce overcowding I would hope as nobody enjoys being in an overcrowded spot. I still haven’t made it to Donaghadee but the thought of arriving and it being packed would put me off staying. Like most places the rule is if there are too many vans move on but it helps to have somewhere relatively close to move on to.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.10.2018  ·  #4
Gavin,

Don’t worry too much about Donaghadee being full. Worth aiming for, but if it looks full, then you could easily go to the big carpark at Millisle. Park near the slipway, in front of the playpark. Smaller than Donaghadee but similar view.
Also Luke’s point in Bangor. Seacliff road just past he Jamaica inn and on the left, before Ballyholme yacht club. 10 minute walk into ton centre.

Davy

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.10.2018  ·  #5
Good work Davy ,I hope you can make headway ,myself being from Crossgar I have no fath in our local councillors,but reading the down recorder a few weeks ago they stated that they are investing 34 million pounds in Newcastle what kind of Aire could they make with a small slice of that pie ,maybe with your next meeting ask them about that money 👍

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.10.2018  ·  #6
To echo a bit of what Davy has said, I rarely stop in Donaghadee now and head straight to Millisle as there is never an issue getting parked and even if its just for an afternoon stop off I will spend a bit in the shops/chippy etc. The main reason is I prefer the view and can have a walk on the beach.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.10.2018  ·  #7

reading the down recorder a few weeks ago they stated that they are investing 34 million pounds in Newcastle

Are they rebuilding Newcastle! 😦. Belfast only got £2m after the Primark fire and were lucky to get it. £34m must be part of the wider Belfast city deal? I always thought my home city of Newry would be a great location for an Aire given it is halfway between Belfast and Dublin.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

Newcastle

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #8

sorry got my figures wrong as you can see it’s 42 million

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #9
Quote by Ally

Been saying it for a long time now, too many using Donaghadee. I'm wondering why they cannot limit it earlier as they have someone on site. We have not been for quite a while as its now over crowded.

What I can't understand is the mentality of someone, pulling up to a place like Donaghadee and squeezing in, even if there are only ten vans there. Does it not make sense to go elsewhere?
We bring these problems on ourselves, time for us to self police.
Or use common sense!

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #10
Quote by Helgahobby

Quote by Ally

What I can't understand is the mentality of someone, pulling up to a place like Donaghadee and squeezing in, even if there are only ten vans there. Does it not make sense to go elsewhere?
We bring these problems on ourselves, time for us to self police.
Or use common sense!

While there are lots of respectful dignified motorhomes there are also lots of idiots who will jump at the chance of something for nothing and they are the ones we can all do without.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #11
[quote="Helgahobby"]

Or use common sense!
[/quote
Unfortunately common sense is not that common anymore

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: self build from library bus
Base Vehicle: iveco 59 e 12 2.8 turbo iris bus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.11.2018  ·  #12
Portaferry old car park at back of the exploris could be good if some work was done there,like making it level,if councils want people in to spend monies then its about time they got the blindfolds of.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.