Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

Re: Diesel & LPG

· 
Posted: 26.10.2018  ·  #3
They've been doing it for a couple of years, but you need to do mega miles to be worth it, and, as I was told by my LPG converter, when Flogas/ Calor convert their fleet then it'll get popular with the hauliers.....

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2018  ·  #4
We tried it on a Scania a few years back, it worked but the cost recovery was over a very long time, the difference in price and the cost of the fitting would never have met over the life of the vehicle. The answer for us was to invest in more modern vehicles which have better economy, cruise control, automatic gears etc

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2018  ·  #5
It will take another 5 to 6 years for the technology to develop into a more cost effective solution for heavy diesel use.
Budapest in Hungary are converting their civic (council) diesel fleet to run on bio gas, which has been extracted from organic waste. It's a big EU experiment running for the last number of years. One of the problem highlighted so far, is that in order for a vehicle to have a range of eight hours work, tank storage is a big problem. Currently gas is stored onboard at a lowish pressure which is affecting the work range. High pressure gas been released through a regulator will freeze the regulator and cut off the gas flow.
ACCO, the holding company of Massey Ferguson, Fendt and a few other tractors brands, reported a few months ago that they were field testing gas powered tractors. Firstly, gas power combustion engines and secondly, gas turbine generators for hybrid type tractors.
Certainly within my lifetime, the diesel engine will join the paraffin engine of the past, only to be seen at a vintage show.
Malcolm

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.