Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

MOT

· 
Posted: 19.10.2018  ·  #1
I called the MOT people to find out why I hadn't had my first MOT letter advising me it was due. They informed me it was due but never offered a reason for non delivery of notification.
I gave my reg number and she told me I was being charged as a truck, and the fee was £77 or so. This is because its classed as a Private HGV on the V5.
I paid the girl and got a date one week later.
Turned up for the test only to be handed a receipt for £45.50, it was tested in the lorry lane but classed as a private car.
So although it's a HGV it's also a private car.
She passed, piece of piss, but I'm scarred for life, having a vehicle that's neither here nor there.
£45.50 thats a few pints of stout ok.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

Re: MOT

· 
Posted: 19.10.2018  ·  #2
Sounds consistent..... can you imagine if she’d quoted 45 and they’d charged 70 though!! Nice one getting through though :)

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2018  ·  #3
Please correct me if I have misunderstood your situation.
You booked a mot test for your wagon, which was directed to a HGV test lane, which I am assuming is because the wagon weights a good bit more than 3500kg, ( commercial vehicles are N classified) at a cost of £77.
However at the test centre because your wagon is registered as a private vehicle, M1 class, you are charged a private car rate of £45 ish.
It is a bit confusing but I think that you're charge the right fee.
However during your booking process, the telephone operator was only looking at your wagon weight, not its vehicle classification hence, why your were directed to Heavy Goods Vehicle test rates, not private vehicle test rates.
Malcolm

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2018  ·  #4
Quote by Thorn123

Please correct me if I have misunderstood your situation.
You booked a mot test for your wagon, which was directed to a HGV test lane, which I am assuming is because the wagon weights a good bit more than 3500kg, ( commercial vehicles are N classified) at a cost of £77.
However at the test centre because your wagon is registered as a private vehicle, M1 class, you are charged a private car rate of £45 ish.
It is a bit confusing but I think that you're charge the right fee.
However during your booking process, the telephone operator was only looking at your wagon weight, not its vehicle classification hence, why your were directed to Heavy Goods Vehicle test rates, not private vehicle test rates.
Malcolm

The system up here has me down as 'Private HGV2".
The rates for the test and there are three categories HGV1 HGV2 HGV artic are more than double that for a car, artics are well over £130 afain. The rate for the 'private motorcar' is different obviously.
They saw me through the window I imagine, and said its heavy but its still a camping car or camper. They refunded the difference between HGV2 and Private motorcar. Does that make it clearer?
Yes the opeerator misread the V5.

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.10.2018  ·  #5
My MoT, NI, was always carried out in the "lorry" lane, except on one occasion.

It's a compact two berth coachbuilt which, I suspect, weighs less than some large cars.

The printed advice I'm sent directs me to a car type lane but the tester will wag me over to the lorry lane.

The lifts in the car lanes go to about 3,500 kg. and there's often a bit of an overhang out back.

augharan
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Bailey Approach 745
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer Euro 5 2.2 Hdi 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2018  ·  #6
Has the Motorhome MOT test changed over the past 2 years ??
I always tested my last van for the normal car price £30.50.
They told me at the test center, that it's not possible to book online because motorhomes have to go through the lorry lane.
I always booked at the center and on test day was directed to the lorry lane and passed by 2 inspectors just like like the lorry's.
But it was still the car price ?

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2018  ·  #7
Quote by augharan

Has the Motorhome MOT test changed over the past 2 years ??
I always tested my last van for the normal car price £30.50.
They told me at the test center, that it's not possible to book online because motorhomes have to go through the lorry lane.
I always booked at the center and on test day was directed to the lorry lane and passed by 2 inspectors just like like the lorry's.
But it was still the car price ?

Similar. They told me to go to the lorry lane. The test itself was very lax, and it worked out at £30.50 same as a motor. I never knew about not being able to actually book online, they sent me a notification after I phoned in. We had the wife's car in on Wednesday, went into the office and they gave me a Friday, two days away! Next time I'll just go to the centre and do it there and then.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2018  ·  #8
Someone in the mot centre hasn’t got a clue ,since I’ve had Motorhomes I’ve always booked online always been givin the car lanes ,but when I get to the mot thy always put me through the lorry lane ,ie ,over the pit I’ve never been asked about the weight and I’ve always payed the same as a car .i have put my camper through Downpatrick and newtownards never a problem

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2018  ·  #9
£30.50... tis €93.46 here, the camper is tested as a LGV if under 3500 (I think) and some centers can’t actually take over 3500!

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2018  ·  #10
I've always booked mine online,£30.50,I just book it as an ordinary mot and have only been diverted to the lorry lane once in twelve years,and that was because I had forgotten to empty the water tank and the van was too heavy for the car brake rollers.I test mine in Newry, I have noticed that the van is the full of the ramp at 6 meters.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2018  ·  #11
Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2018  ·  #12
Booked mine online. Same test and same price as a car at £30.50 from memory. 3.5 ton twin wheel transit based Motorhome.

For those that don't know, the lanes are to do with the brake test rollers.

Last year I did it on a car lane this year was directed to the LGV lane. Totally understand why, it's a heavy duty roller and more suited to the weight of my vehicle.

augharan
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Bailey Approach 745
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer Euro 5 2.2 Hdi 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.10.2018  ·  #13
Glad to hear it hasn't went to £77 or even £45.50 😰

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.10.2018  ·  #14
I usually ring the booking centre at Belfast to book the van for an MOT. When I get the booking reference I then have to ring the test centre,quote the booking reference to get it changed to the lorry lane. The date first given is then usually changed to another date and time. It is always booked at a car rate.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.10.2018  ·  #15
Years ago I was given the tip to book the van for an evening appointment as there are very few heavy or commercial vehicles, so the lane is free. I usually find the guys helpful and interested in the van which makes the process less stressful.

Davy

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

lorrry lane

· 
Posted: 26.10.2018  ·  #16
Quote by hillton9

Someone in the mot centre hasn’t got a clue ,since I’ve had Motorhomes I’ve always booked online always been givin the car lanes ,but when I get to the mot thy always put me through the lorry lane ,ie ,over the pit I’ve never been asked about the weight and I’ve always payed the same as a car .i have put my camper through Downpatrick and newtownards never a problem

sounds very similar, we had an mot in downpatrick last friday-and went through lane 1 ,the lorry lane.
- i have always asked for lane 1,and they seem happy with that.-and the old thing passed!!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.